23 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Lauren Cuthbertson has posted (on instagram) a little about Saturday evening, and hopes to be able to dance on Thursday 

• Like 12

Let's hope so.

And ooh, finally that luxury casting of Prologue fairies I'd heard about, too :) 

Odd, isn't it, that details of who has been coaching the principals appear on these cast sheets for the cinema relay, but no longer appear on the cast sheets at the ROH. If you see it live you have to acquire a programme to get those details. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lynette H said:

Odd, isn't it, that details of who has been coaching the principals appear on these cast sheets for the cinema relay, but no longer appear on the cast sheets at the ROH. If you see it live you have to acquire a programme to get those details. 

Or have a peak into the Grand tier, where they usually sit to watch the performance

5 hours ago, Lynette H said:

There’s a mass of blank space on the cast sheet under the synopsis and also under the timings for such info 😮

• Like 1

The coaching details used to appear on cast sheets previously, but were  a casualty when they briefly changed to the unpopular "open up" much smaller cast sheets. They reverted to the original size, but the coaching details were not reinstated. 

• Like 2

P1150610

P1151840

P1150215

Well that went well

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 20

I don't recall ever seeing a more rivetingly accomplished performance of this ballet from the two leads. Aurora's Act 1 solo (after the Rose Adagio) and the Prince's Act 3 variation were out of this world. The audience roars said it all.

And the company as a whole was seriously impressive. I do hope that everything goes OK tonight for their live relay.

• Like 14

Thoughts from last night:

The magnificent Marianela Nunez is at the height of her abilities. Her interpretation of Aurora is more mature than in the last run, and seeing a ballerina of such confidence and artistry in a classical ballet is a privilege, whether her role is supposed to be a teenager or not.
Vadim Muntagirov - pyrotechnics were astonishing as always, but his Act II solo almost moved me to tears.
Magri and Zucchetti were the most lively Bluebirds I've seen in this run.

Why do even the best of dancers look so uncomfortable in the Prologue? 

Going to a performance of Sleeping Beauty and then hearing the score at twice the speed in the shop is a strange experience.

Is Téo Dubreuil the RB's answer to Timothée Chalamet?

• Like 6

I am so sorry I missed this, but Rob your photos are the next best thing.  Just gorgeous!!

• Like 2

Was last night Teo Dubreuil's debut as  Florestan? I've been to rather a lot of Sleeping Beauties but hadn't seen him before.

I noticed him when he was interviewed for the R.B’s Coppelia live stream. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

Was last night Teo Dubreuil's debut as  Florestan? I've been to rather a lot of Sleeping Beauties but hadn't seen him before.

Surely he's done it before?

And what's this about Chalamet?

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

Nope, he did it earlier in the run (though I didn't see him then).

Just to add to the many shouts about last night; thought Nunez's coda in the first act - replete with those retarding turns on the diagonal that nuzzled her flashing eyes - was breathtaking.  Thought too that Muntagirov was as stunning in the dramatic department as he was - as expected - technically.  Am oft bored stiff by that boat ride but Muntagirov made his very much a personal journey of the soul rife with a defined beginning, middle and end.  No small feat.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, capybara said:

Dubreuil’s début as Florestan was in the matinée on 14 December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I don't recall ever seeing a more rivetingly accomplished performance of this ballet from the two leads. Aurora's Act 1 solo (after the Rose Adagio) and the Prince's Act 3 variation were out of this world.

I loved the way she finished in the final pose almost with a shrug, as if to say "look how easy"... :D

• Like 1

I wish I'd been able to go - sounds as though I missed a real treat :(

Hoping for good things from tonight's live relay - or more realistically one of the repeats.

3 hours ago, alison said:

- or more realistically one of the repeats.

?????  Is Lauren Cuthbertson not dancing tonight for the cinema broadcast?

13 minutes ago, Fiona said:

?????  Is Lauren Cuthbertson not dancing tonight for the cinema broadcast?

I think this is merely Alison saying she may only be able to make it to an encore showing, rather than the live broadcast itself.

• Like 2

Although it does now look like none of us will be seeing Cutherbertson either live or at encores as the RB have just tweeted this.

Oh no! I love Fumi Kaneko but Lauren Cuthbertson was devastated not to finish her performance on Saturday and I really wanted to see her.

Obviously I should have kept my mouth shut. Poor Lauren :(  I'm a little surprised at them putting a First Soloist in for a cinema broadcast (although of course William Bracewell is scheduled as Siegfried), but then Kaneko has been one of the stalwarts of this run.

Storm-Jensen moves into Lilac in her place.

2 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm a little surprised at them putting a First Soloist in for a cinema broadcast (although of course William Bracewell is scheduled as Siegfried), but then Kaneko has been one of the stalwarts of this run.

Me too, surprised it didn't go to Naghdi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tebasile said:

Me too, surprised it didn't go to Naghdi.

She has an incredibly heavy rehearsal schedule at the moment, plus her debut as Tatiana in a week's time, so it would have been a big ask.  As Fumi is dancing Swan Lake with Bonelli this will be an indication of things to come!

• Like 7