I never did manage to access Mark Monahan's review of Osipova's first performance, but I gathered enough to approach last night's Rose Adagio with some trepidation. But the balances were excellent (and you could see the joy and relief in her face afterwards, which was priceless!) and the whole was danced with such verve and aplomb that it was positively thrilling. Unorthodox use of the hands (throughout the performance), and a kind of physical and emotional extremity that doesn't sit easily with pure classicism; but gripping nonetheless. There is sometimes a danger of Osipova becoming almost a caricature of herself, but I think she just (only just, sometimes) manages to stay this side of that line, and what she delivers is a passionate, driven Aurora who is in as much need of being rescued by her prince as the prince is in need of finding his true love. The Vision Scene in particular was astonishing - her eyes seemed to be half closed most of the time, so you really knew this was a vision of a sleeping princess desperate to be awakened, yearning for her prince to come. And when she is finally woken by a kiss, her joy, relief and delight are palpable from the furthest reaches of the Amphitheatre. Technically she is getting more and more idiosyncratic, especially in the use of her hands and arms, which doesn't make for harmony with all the dancers around her (including Hallberg). But her turns and jumps were brilliant and her intensity completely memorable.

Hallberg remains a conundrum. I do find much of his solo dancing breathtakingly beautiful; and he seems to be reliable in terms of some partnering e.g. supported pirouettes. But clearly there are problems with lifts, and in the more virtuoso parts of his solos he does sometimes falter. The technique of the fish dives was I think very slightly adapted, but worked well and they were fast and exciting. And he was an entirely convincing aristocratic prince with the creamiest lines and noblest bearing. His melancholy in Act II (until seeing Aurora) was positively tragic; and his wonder at the beauty of Aurora and, finally, at his realisation that a kiss would bring her to him, were a joy to behold.

Bennet Gartside was a slightly sulky but effective King, with Kristen McNally as a more than usually imperious Queen. Fumi Kaneko was once more a superbly gracious Lilac Fairy (though I still dread that Prologue solo - even when done well it looks pretty horrible). I always find it quite amusing that even though she's a fairy with supernatural powers, when she wants to offer her blessings on the baby from above, she still has to be hoisted up there by two chunky attendants (and then when they put her down again, she thanks them graciously for their trouble. Brilliant!).  Christina Arestis was a suitably wicked Carabosse; I got the impression this Carabosse was actually pretty pleased she hadn't been invited to the Christening, since it gave her an opportunity to unleash her evil. (And on the subject of the Christening - could a 'baby' not be found that looks like a baby rather than a doll??! In these days of Call the Midwife, surely a more realistic baby could be procured. I know this is a fairy tale and everything, but still...).

• Like 26

I agree with much of the above. Osipova did a great job with the rose adage and vision scene, and Hallberg was a convincing lonely prince. I am seeing a different cast on Thursday so it will be interesting to compare. I would add that the ‘fairy group dance’ (for want of a better term - pas de six maybe?) in the prologue was beautifully done. 

Unfortunately I could write an essay for the ‘audience behaviour’ thread on the basis of what I saw in the stalls circle yesterday evening, especially re mobile phones :(

• Like 4

Well, if it's not on the schedule of the many companies who employ him, it's a reasonable estimation on his part,

I have a kind of admiration for Osipova's insistence on having Hallberg as partner.  Maybe I'm just being sentimental, but I feel she has done it for his sake as much as for hers, and I am sure she had long been aware of his limitations.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Ivy Lin said:

David Hallberg implies he might be retiring:

very glad I got to see him on 20 November. That’s the issue re dancers - you have to catch their dancing while you can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shade said:

very glad I got to see him on 20 November. That’s the issue re dancers - you have to catch their dancing while you can. 

I can think of quite a few male dancers who gave up dancing in SB but continued to dance happily in many other ballets.  Let's face it, it's not the most exciting role for the man.

Linda

9 hours ago, Ivy Lin said:

David Hallberg implies he might be retiring:

Or the Royal Opera House is being demolished!!!😱 🤪 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

Loved revisiting Sleeping Beauty @RoyalOperaHouse but... there is a very good chance it was my last.

There is a very good chance it was his last appearance in the "Sleeping Beauty" at the Royal Opera House.

This afternoon’s cast: 

King Florestan: Gartside 

Queen: Arestis

Aurora: O’SullIvan

Prince: Ball 

Catalabutte: Montes

Carabosse: Mendizabal 

Lilac Fairy: Storm-Jensen (yay!)

Fairy of the:

Crystal Fountain: Pajdak Acri

Enchanted Garden: HinkisZucchetti 

Woodland Glade: Hamilton Donnelly

Songbird: Gasparini Dixon 

Jeremy Vine: Dias Serrano 

Lilac Fairy’s Cavalier: Aumeer 

English Prince: Avis

French Prince: Richardson

Indian Prince: Dubreuil  

Russian Prince: Mock

Aurora’s Friends: Buvoli Gasparini Grennell Bradbury Stock Dean Roscoe Dias 

Countess: Pajdak 

Gallison: Emerton

Florestan and sisters: Ella Gasparini Sasaki 

Puss/White Cat: Dixon Dean  

Florine/Bluebird: Hamilton Corrales 

Red Riding Hood/Wolf: Allnatt Mock 

Grand Pas de Dutchie O’Sullivan Ball 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Oh what happened to James Hay — hope he is ok

Mr O’Hare came out and said he’d been taken ill and advised not to dance today 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Kevin O’Hare came out front of curtain to say James had been taken I’ll and had been advised not to dance today. Matthew Ball has replaced him at 2 hours’ notice - (3. 5 hours by the time he comes on!). Feeling very sorry for James and for Anna Rose O’Sullivan who has such a big debut today.

Edited to add:

(Whoops - writing at the same time as RobS.)

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Candleque said:

Kevin O'Hare came on to say that he'd been taken ill today and advised not to dance, and Matthew Ball had agreed to take over at 2 hours' notice. Really sorry not to see James Hay. And poor Anna Rose O'Sullivan. As if an Aurora debut isn't stressful enough even with the partner with whom you've rehearsed!

P.s. lots of cross-posting! Sorry for the repetition 

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added
  • Like 3

Rob S, Capybara and Bridiem came on to say Kevin O’Hare came on to say....😀

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Really sorry not to see James Hay.

Me too. But sounds like the flu or something which is better than an injury.  

I went to the Insights talk last night where they mentioned how many cast changes they have to deal with, especially this time of year.  And the cascade effect. How they started the run with about 5 dancers for every fairy role and now it is more like two each. Melissa Hamilton filling in for Fumi Kaneko today for example. As well as doing Florine with Cesar Corrales (which should be fantastic)

• Like 3

What a fantastic Rose Adage that was from Anna Rose, so confident 😍👏

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Mr O’Hare came out and said he’d been taken ill and advised not to dance today 

What a shame for James - glad I managed to catch them both in rehearsal. They make a fine pairing

The variation and coda were even better. Our girl is doing well. VERY well indeed!

KOH said Hay had been taken ill. I pray we will see them together at the next performance.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

She looked so confident! That last moment was spectacular too. Very excited to see acts two and three! 

• Like 2

I thought O'Sullivan was terrific from start to finish: I'd never have guessed that to be her debut.

I feel very privileged to have seen both her and Kaneko's first Auroras this season - I don't think there's anything more moving in ballet than seeing a debutante conquer her first Rose Adagio.

• Like 9

Fabulous debut from a radiant Anna-  Rose O'Sullivan...so perfectly partnered by a nerve-free Ball going on at short notice. So lovely to see the warm support she had from Gary Avis's prince...willing her on. 

She was  beautiful throughout ...so delicate, youthful, joyous..but on a rock solid technique. Brava!

• Like 14

A debut of astonishing maturity from Anna Rose - everything beautifully danced, nothing rushed, and real character development from girl, to vision, to woman in her movement as well as her acting. Absolutely fabulous and doubly so in the unfortunate circumstances.

• Like 13

In total agreement about this afternoon - Anna Rose was magnificent. She couldn’t have wished for a better stand-in but it must still have taken nerves of steel!

• Like 9