• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I often find Osipova fascinating, magnetic; occasionally wilful. Didn’t like that Act One at all: very strange things going on with her hands, an unexpected impression of running out of steam at the end of the solo; and I don’t think this is a ballet in which trying to be overly naturalistic works. Will be interesting to see if Hallberg can settle her ...

Yes i also notice some strange in the hands. And... indeed she is a very spoiled princess...

17 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Things going on in my head during the second interval, why is the foyer cafe ‘unable to offer espresso based coffees for the interval’? 

So that tea drinkers like me don't waste most of the interval waiting to be served and then discovering my tea is too hot to drink so I have to leave it!

I've seen this policy in other theatres too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

So that tea drinkers like me don't waste most of the interval waiting to be served and then discovering my tea is too hot to drink so I have to leave it!

don't fill the cup, and then add a splash of cold water. Or better yet, pour small portions into the saucer and drink from there. Very couth! 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

Just a query as to who’s likely to be dancing the two principal roles on Saturday evening, if anyone knows. 

I think if anyone knew they would post it on here already! The website still states it's Takada/Hirano...I assumed Hirano was out for all 3 performances but I may be wrong (and he's still down to dance with Sarah Lamb early December). Takada could feasibly return if her injury wasn't serious but Aurora is a very demanding role and I imagine they would want to err on the side of caution (even more so than usual) - which I think would be the right approach. 

I hope ROH update the website soon, if you're desperate to find out you could try calling the box office - they probably won't know but if you ask them to potentially query it back to RB staff they may be generous enough to do so and it could be a prod to get the website updated. At least you could ask when/if they would confirm if the website would be updated/casting confirmed?

In fairness they simply may not know until the day...

If it's not Takada/Hirano, looking at who has replaced so far, it could be Fumi Kaneko and Reece Clarke again. Failing that, Alexander Campbell and Yasmine Naghdi are doing an excellent job! And if Takada is able to dance and Hirano isn't, presumably Takada/Campbell (which was supposed to be one combination when Campbell replaced Hirano but they never made it to a scene together as Takada was off before Act 2!). If Hirano is able to dance and Takada isn't...who even knows! Perhaps Naghdi/Hirano? But presumably it would be better for Naghdi to dance with Campbell now rather than picking up yet another partner for Sleeping Beauty. Complete speculation at this stage to be honest. 

Well, the second act of Beauty is probably my favourite and that I thought was very beautiful, Osipova remote but alluring (and noiseless on what seemed much tidier pointe shoes than she used to wear) and Hallberg, long lined and elegant in the Dowell solo. I’ve defended him in the past but I’d have to concede he was pretty shirking tonight even with the limited partnering Prince Florimund has and there seemed to be an odd compromise in the fish dives with him turning to face her to help get her in to position. I’ve not explained it well but I thought it looked awkward. Overall, I found  it a rather muted, disappointing performance (it must be the first time I’ve actually found The White Cat -  a deliciously sophisticated Ashley Dean - a highlight), although the audience seemed enthusiastic at the end.

• Like 5

I really hope Takada and Hirano will be able to dance Sleeping Beauty on Saturday night. Fingers crossed!

If not, the temptation to ask Yasmine Naghdi to dance her 3rd Aurora this week will be high (but wouldn't that be too much for a ballerina?) Perhaps Kaneko and Clarke again?

43 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’ve defended him in the past but I’d have to concede he was pretty shirking tonight even with the limited partnering Prince Florimund has and there seemed to be an odd compromise in the fish dives with him turning to face her to help get her in to position. I’ve not explained it well but I thought it looked awkward. 

A bit curious. Maybe it is because I am too high up but I cannot tell the difference of the fish dives of "turning to face her" part. I checked Vadim&Nela recording. Vadim turned a little bit towards her before "picking her up" during the 3 fish dives. Could you explain it a little more?

I’ll try. It just seemed as if he turned rather more than usual towards her and it didn’t look as seamless as in other partnerships I’ve seen. It was if once she began the pirouette he stopped towards her facing her and then got in to the final position. He did manage a pretty triumphant one armed lift before the final fish dive though (that’s the one at body level not over head obviously)....

Edited by Jamesrhblack

19 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

I’ll try. It just seemed as if he turned rather more than usual towards her and it didn’t look as seamless as in other partnerships I’ve seen. It was if he once she began the pirouette he stopped towards her facing her and then got in to the final position. He did manage a pretty triumphant one armed lift before the final fish dive though (that’s the one at body level not over head obviously)....

Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihiZpQRMLTQ This is the only SB wedding PDD danced by RB principles (Alina Cojocaru and Sergei Polunin)  online I can find. At that year they should all danced RB version. It looks almost similar to what I see in Vadim&Nela recording but Vadim seems putting on more effort, understandable as Nela must be more difficult than lifting Alina. 

I am quite fascinated by these fish dives. Hope that I will manage a better view next time! I have booked Vadim&Nela in Jan.

As for Hallberg, actually I find that tonight is better than the previous performances I have seen him on (R&J , month in country). His solo is satisfying and the PDD, from my high view point, is on a good level. (I won't say excellent.) Looking how he executed the jumps in the solo makes me wonder how good he would be during his prime time and really feel sorry for him. 

Edited by HelenLoveAppleJuice
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihiZpQRMLTQ This is the only SB wedding PDD danced by RB principles (Alina Cojocaru and Sergei Polunin)  online I can find....

i like this video of polunin and Maria Kochetkova. he does the best one-armed fish dive i've seen. unfortunately it is a truncated version of the pdd so only two fish. the lift of his chin as he waits for her to grab his arm is one of those small things i notice, that made him an exciting dancer to watch in the old days.

• Like 3

Regarding fish dives, I’ve noticed that a lot seems to depend on the speed of Aurora’s pirouettes just before she throws herself into it. The ones who turn fast seem to make it easier for the man to execute it. Nunez, in the DVD, turns quite slowly in comparison to some I’ve seen (e.g. In the video above). I guess it makes sense in as much as you need some good momentum to throw yourself into it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Re : Fish dives.

You might be interested in this rehearsal of Antoinette Sibley and Anthony Dowell by Michael Soames

https://youtu.be/_k3g8DMOIOU

Wow! Now that explains to me why, although I'm still aware that they're difficult, I don't find the fish dives nearly as exciting as I used to. The dives in this rehearsal are a) much faster, and b) much deeper - real dives! Sibley almost ends up vertical. Makes today's fish dives, even when well done, look almost lumbering.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 6

After seeing some performance of RB beauty and watched Alina's DVD recording, I found I actually prefer the some old version costumes, especially for lilac fairy. The current one is too busy in my mind and really does not flatten the figure. Magri looked like twice bigger than usual...Does anyone feel the same way?

Another complain is for the garden maids. Their dark green dresses are beautiful. I hope they don't have that white apron hanging in the front!

27 minutes ago, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

After seeing some performance of RB beauty and watched Alina's DVD recording, I found I actually prefer the some old version costumes, especially for lilac fairy. The current one is too busy in my mind and really does not flatten the figure. Magri looked like twice bigger than usual...Does anyone feel the same way?

I don’t know about twice bigger on stage but on the picture @Rob S posted she doesn’t look that way, even Calvert whose had 10 years for us (me) to get used to wearing that costume I still find it an odd design. The Woodland Glade and Enchanted Garden one are not far behind as the worse costumes of this production.

To your point, Magri did look more slender on the Princess Florine costume yesterday though and I think that’s because the waist has a simpler design and not full of ( unnecessary) big petals crossing the torso like the Lilac has.

But to be honest I don’t like any of the main fairies “new” costumes. The old version ones were superior in my opinion. I hope they do a redesign of the costumes in the years to come.

Edited by Ingrid
  • Like 6

I was predisposed to enjoy last night’s performance, after a long day at work and I did. Helped by good seats, orchestral plying of Tchaikovsky’s great score and of course the dancers. Magri was a gracious and warm lilac fairy, the fairies and fairytale characters charming. Sparkling bluebird and florine from Acri and Choe. 

Act 1 - agree that Osipova did seem to ‘flutter’ her hands each time in the balances. I assume she chose to do that but will be interested to know if she repeats that in her next performance. I am not sure she ran out of steam as such but she did finish ahead of the music.

Act 2 - the vision scene was just beautiful with Osipova and Hallberg. I think it was Hallberg’s best performance at the RB that I have seen.

This clearly suits his style.

Act 3 - a majestic and highly satisfying conclusion. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ingrid said:

To your point, Magri did look more slender on the Princess Florine costume yesterday though and I think that’s because the waist has a simpler design and not full of ( unnecessary) big petals crossing the torso like the Lilac has.

I think the Florine tutu always makes everybody look lovely and slender.  But I don't have a problem with the Lilac Fairy costume on the curvier dancers I've seen in it - I haven't seen Magri, but think Claire Calvert looks stunning in it.  Admittedly I never saw the old costumes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Did you manage to see Francesca Hayward/Alex Campbell this run - I thought they were astonishing?

No, unfortunately not - I'd booked for Tuesday evening when Naghdi stepped in. But 'lumbering' was a bad choice of word in my previous post in any case - the fish dives I've seen in this run have been good; they're just a lot slower now than in the Sibley/Dowell clip. You can see them unfold, whereas they used to be a real and apparently reckless headlong dive.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I think the Florine tutu always makes everybody look lovely and slender.  But I don't have a problem with the Lilac Fairy costume on the curvier dancers I've seen in it - I haven't seen Magri, but think Claire Calvert looks stunning in it.  Admittedly I never saw the old costumes.

There is a very low quality video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zytPve7iEG4  

And here is a photo

Image result for lilac fairy marianela nunez

I much prefer the old version, more "fairy" like in my opinion. But I admit that it is really up to personal taste... 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Well, the second act of Beauty is probably my favourite and that I thought was very beautiful, Osipova remote but alluring (and noiseless on what seemed much tidier pointe shoes than she used to wear) and Hallberg, long lined and elegant in the Dowell solo. I’ve defended him in the past but I’d have to concede he was pretty shirking tonight even with the limited partnering Prince Florimund has and there seemed to be an odd compromise in the fish dives with him turning to face her to help get her in to position. I’ve not explained it well but I thought it looked awkward. Overall, I found  it a rather muted, disappointing performance (it must be the first time I’ve actually found The White Cat -  a deliciously sophisticated Ashley Dean - a highlight), although the audience seemed enthusiastic at the end.

Oh dear, the Cats a highlight, I used to dislike them but have grown fonder of them these days :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

No, unfortunately not - I'd booked for Tuesday evening when Naghdi stepped in.

I recall you’d booked for Tuesday but wasn’t sure if you’d seen Francesca Hayward in either of her two earlier performances this run.  I think you’d have been impressed - I certainly was but I’m sure others would give a more knowledgeable opinion.  

I appreciate your having second thoughts about ‘lumbering’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

And here is a photo

Image result for lilac fairy marianela nunez

I much prefer the old version, more "fairy" like in my opinion. But I admit that it is really up to personal taste... 

Oh my word, why on earth did they get rid of that!!?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Oh my word, why on earth did they get rid of that!!?

Well the background to the current design, including the costumes is proudly promoted on the website

Sixty years later, in 2006, the original 1946 staging was revived by then Director of The Royal Ballet Monica Mason and Christopher Newton, returning Oliver Messel’s wonderful designs and glittering costumes to the stage.

The Messel designs are lovely in their own way, but are a little heavy for quite a few people's tastes. I suspect this may well be the last time they will be seen and The Sleeping Beauty may have a complete overhaul next time it is in the repertoire - just my guess of course

33 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Well the background to the current design, including the costumes is proudly promoted on the website

Sixty years later, in 2006, the original 1946 staging was revived by then Director of The Royal Ballet Monica Mason and Christopher Newton, returning Oliver Messel’s wonderful designs and glittering costumes to the stage.

The Messel designs are lovely in their own way, but are a little heavy for quite a few people's tastes. I suspect this may well be the last time they will be seen and The Sleeping Beauty may have a complete overhaul next time it is in the repertoire - just my guess of course

Oh ok, it’s a link to the past, that’s fine.

I actually quite like the Messel designs. They are quite distinctive and feel very ‘English’. The purple tutu Nunez is wearing is lovely but does not reflect the nature/individual character aspect of English garden that the current fairy tutus do. 

All ballets need to go through changes of design but I hope the current ones stick around for a while. 

I have to admit though I’m not sold on the Aurora act 1 tutu but it has grown on me. But it is quite whimsical and it does give the production a unique identifiable look.  

• Like 4