I was just looking up the SB page on the ROH's website & noticed that it has Campbell down as the Prince opposite Takada tonight. Has there been another cast change? I thought it was supposed to be Hirano who was replacing McRae opposite Takada.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hirano is still down for his other performances, which I hope means it isn't an injury (if it's correct, which I assume it is). Unless it's just a quick decision for tonight and then look further forward?

Edited by bridiem
Sentence added

On 10/11/2019 at 00:55, alison said:

2) I thought were siblings, probably of Florimund, since we see no signs of Aurora having any?

3) Isn't it Cinderella and her Prince, rather than Goldilocks?  (I miss the Cinderella divertissement :( )

2)  Florestan is supposedly the "crown prince" (named after his father) and he is partnered by his and Aurora's younger sisters. I know - it doesn't make any sense as they are completely absent from Act 1, but they are an invention, I think, of Frederick Ashton's, for the 1946 Ninette de Valois production. Although de Valois drew fairly heavily on the 1921 Diaghilev production, the pas de quatre - in the Petipa original for the Gold, Silver, Sapphire and Diamond fairies - was, in 1921 a pas de quatre for a quartet of commedia dell-arte characters.

3) I believe this character is indeed Goldilocks, but not the one who had the close encounter with the three bears. She is the heroine of another fairy tale by the same Madame d'Aulnoy who was the source of the Bluebird and Florine story. In the original French she is La belle au cheveux d'or.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Sebastian said:

This website is indeed a marvellous compendium of secondary sources and some lovely visual material (including much which is hard for the casual reader to find). However one can’t rely on it, as I discovered when doing some research around the history of the Sleeping Beauty. To give one example, the site asserts - as if established fact - that

>>The purpose of the Fairy Violente pointing her fingers during her variation in the Grand Pas de six of the Prologue is that she is zapping electricity, which was new in 1890.

I very much hope this is true, as it is a most entertaining idea and the Prologue Fairies are somewhat mysterious. However nowhere does there seem to be a 19th century source for this observation, in any language, although it pops up, unsourced, in some speculative writing after the Second World War. More than happy to be corrected by those who know more but I can’t find where this comes from. 

I read somewhere, forgotten where, that this electrical variation is celebrating the theatre where it was performed being newly lit by electricity.

(Michael Faraday had demonstrated the electric motor and generator in the 1820's, and before that there was static electricity)

• Like 1

Not obvious, no but Takada looked less secure than she usually does (which is to say she was still very good but not as flawless as I have seen her on previous occasions).  They restarted with the Lilac Fairy taking the prince in his boat and Takada stayed to do the awakening scene.  Then Yasmine Naghdi danced Act 3.  The pas de deux was a bit cautious as you would expect but no major mishaps, extremely professionally done and they were both calm and smiling throughout - and their individual variations were lovely.  

Edited by Lindsay
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

Not obvious, no but Takada looked less secure than she usually does (which is to say she was still very good but not as flawless as I have seen her on previous occasions).  They restarted with the Lilac Fairy taking the prince in his boat and Takada stayed to do the awakening scene.  Then Yasmine Naghdi danced Act 3.  The pas de deux was a bit cautious as you would expect but no major mishaps, extremely professionally done and they were both calm and smiling throughout - and their individual variations were lovely.  

Thanks for updating us, Lindsay. I hope they had a chance to have a quick run through of the fish dives at least! Must have been quite a performance.

19 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

I may be mistaken but I don’t think that was Takada...perhaps Sae Maeda? Someone Japanese/Asian, certainly not Naghdi! 

Considering how disappointed and upset Takada must have been not to be able to continue (and presumably in some pain) I would expect her to be immediately assessed by a doctor and able to go home, rather than hanging about for 45 minutes! 

Takada was beautiful in Act 1, certainly did not look like she was injured so hopefully not serious. Massive appreciation to Naghdi (and Campbell of course!) for the last minute substitution. 

Hope both Hirano and Takada recover soon. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 5

I defer to you JNC - I wasn’t that close so you will almost certainly know better.  I was however close enough to see and be amused by the corps men coming out as “trees” for Red Riding Hood.  I assume they sent the kids home since it was getting so late.

• Like 5

I'm actually surprised that they didn't use Fumi and Reece for Acts 2 and 3 as they were both on earlier.

Did anyone see anything happen to poor Akane? I agree, she has been a really beautiful Aurora in previous runs.

Who was the Lilac Fairy tonight, please?

I wondered about that too capybara but they were only in the prologue so could have left by the end of Act 1

Lilac Fairy was Mendizabal.  And other than Fumi in the prologue none of the “other” Auroras were on tonight.

Edited by Lindsay

25 minutes ago, capybara said:

I'm actually surprised that they didn't use Fumi and Reece for Acts 2 and 3 as they were both on earlier.

Did anyone see anything happen to poor Akane? I agree, she has been a really beautiful Aurora in previous runs.

Who was the Lilac Fairy tonight, please?

Rumour had it they originally were trying to get in touch with Fumi to continue as Aurora. She was a fairy in the prologue so presumably was on the way home and uncontactable. Reece was also in the prologue but it would have been harsh to stand down Campbell! Also considering Fumi has only danced the role once I feel it would have been a lot of pressure to do it again, so soon, with a partner she is not familiar with. 

I thought they were going to try for Hayward because she’s scheduled to dance alongside Campbell but either she was indisposed (and to be fair she did only dance on Saturday!) or they decided to go for Naghdi. 

Lilac fairy was Mendizibal. 

• Like 2

So Alex Campbell was standing in for Ryo Hirano, who was standing in for Steven McRae. He would not have had much rehearsal time with Akane Takada.  Halfway through, he then has to dance with Yasmine Naghdi with whom he has never danced in nor rehearsed the ballet.  What a pro he is.  Huge kudos to him and to Miss Naghdi who dashed in from home and helped save the night in a big way. 👏👏👏

• Like 22