American Summer schools 2013

maleballetdancer12

Ellison ballet auditioned here last year and my DD auditioned and there were only a handful of girls there. Don't know if they're doing it again this year. Dancing Times sometimes advertises US summer schools which are auditioning here so that might be worth keeping an eye on.

It's pretty easy to find out- most US schools advertise their audition tour dates and location on line. From the ones I have looked at the auditon tour schedule is already up (SAB, ABT, Houston, Kirov, San Francisco). Sorry didn't look at overseas auditions as DS can audition in US as that's where he is at vocational school. The ones mentioned above are the ones recommended to us as the top ones by DS's UK ballet teacher but I'm sure there are plenty others which would be considered excellent.... Overseas applicants can send in a DVD if there isn't an audition date in their country.

Lots and lots of info on summer schools on the USA ballet forum at http://dancers.invisionzone.com/

• Like 1

yes absolutely, DS offered a scholarship when applied for first ever summer school and had only been seriously dancing a year.. i know also of an elmhurst student a few years back who got full scholarship to SAB for their SI (they even paid flights)...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

yes absolutely, DS offered a scholarship when applied for first ever summer school and had only been seriously dancing a year.. i know also of an elmhurst student a few years back who got full scholarship to SAB for their SI (they even paid flights)...

okay thank you very much!

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bit late compared to the other posts, but oh well. I'm American (living in England) and I did Atlanta Ballet's Summer Intensive last summer. It was 5 weeks residential, in the state of Georgia, and an amazing experience. A few schools I would suggest looking into are SAB (New York), The Rock (Philadelphia), Boston Ballet (Washington), Ballet West (Utah) ... but there are so many. (San Francisco Ballet, Jeoffrey Ballet, ABT, etc.) To be honest though, I don't think any of them come to the UK, so look into video applications. Most of the summer programs tend to be around 5 weeks long... Ballet West has one that's 8 weeks... for some reason they don't run summer programs that long here in the UK!? Anyways... this is probably a bit late as most of the auditions will have past, but I would highly recommend a Summer Intensive in America, even if you have to audition by video. Hope this helps! 

• Like 1

No worries afab... They're a really great way to improve your technique because they last for such a long time. But the problem is that they might interfere with summer term because the holidays in America are different to the UK. :/ Still, if you can find one that fits your schedule, I really recommend going!  :) 

DD2 has auditioned for ABT... We're waiting for the answer... I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a place. I gather it is... She and DD1 auditioned for SAB last year in Paris but got a no. DD2 was the youngest auditionee then as she had just turned 12!

Joffrey Ballet came to Paris last year to conduct auditions but I don't know if they do it each year.

Fingers crossed for DD2! There are 5 different ABT programs I believe... with the main one being in New York, and the others spread fairly evenly around the country. I had a friend who went to the one in Texas and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the standards are... I just know that there are more spots available than most summer schools in the USA offer. 

SAB on the other hand has a reputation for being VERY hard to get into. They are also Balanchine based, so if your DD1 isn't trained in Balanchine, that could have affected her getting a place.  

Best of Luck to DD2 though! :) 

Yes there are 5 locations for ABT which you have to give in your preference order. NY was our last unfortunately because it clashed with O'levels and also with POB summer school and RBS... Texas was her second...

Thank you for the support! We'll see...

No DD1 is not Balanchine trained but having said that a friend of hers trained in France and not Balanchine, got in and he was eventually offered a yearly place. He's still there actually...

Wow... is she doing POB, RBS and hopefully ABT all in the same summer? And you're welcome! 

I think PNB in Seattle are the same... they are Balanchine but you don't have to be trained Balanchine for the SI. But good for him! That's quite an achievement. I have a friend who was accepted into some big-name programs like ABT, Joffrey, The Rock, Boston Ballet, etc. but she wasn't accepted into SAB.

Best wishes for DD1's upcoming Summer School auditions as well though!

I'm planning on staying in the UK to try out some of the Summer Programs here... Hopefully a few weeks with Ballet West, Elmhurst, and maybe RBS Covent Garden. But we'll see! Have your DDs done any of those programs before? 

Good luck to you too!

DD1 did a summer school in Tring last year and DD2 did one week at RBS in White Lodge.

DD2 is trying all 3, it doesn't mean she'll get in all 3 plus we can't afford the 3 so she'll have to do some choosing. Or at least, it would be nice to have a choice rather that not get into anything. She's going to try Northern Ballet Academy in Leeds too...

DD1 has changed route slightly. She's become an all-rounded dancer, 20 hours a week of ballet, contemporary, jazz, tap, a bit of singing and theatre on top so she'll try Northern Ballet School as well for the ballet but has to choose a SS that is more musical performance orientated one.

DD3 is also trying RBS, she's 10.

On top of that, they often do twice a week-long course at their normal dance school, one week early summer and one just before school starts again.

Is there any good summer schools for 10 year olds in Florida? If anyone knows

If you're already on pointe look at this one:

http://centralfloridaballet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=193

You can send in a video audition but you need to call them first. :) 

This one is for 9 years and up: 

http://www.sarasotaballet.org/summer-intensive

They are both well-known in Florida...  but here is a link to Joffrey Florida which is a really big deal...http://joffrey.org/academy/programs/summerintensives

Explore their site... they're definitly a more Advanced/Well-known Program than the other 2. 

Hope this helps! :) 

Good luck to you too!

DD1 did a summer school in Tring last year and DD2 did one week at RBS in White Lodge.

DD2 is trying all 3, it doesn't mean she'll get in all 3 plus we can't afford the 3 so she'll have to do some choosing. Or at least, it would be nice to have a choice rather that not get into anything. She's going to try Northern Ballet Academy in Leeds too...

DD1 has changed route slightly. She's become an all-rounded dancer, 20 hours a week of ballet, contemporary, jazz, tap, a bit of singing and theatre on top so she'll try Northern Ballet School as well for the ballet but has to choose a SS that is more musical performance orientated one.

DD3 is also trying RBS, she's 10.

On top of that, they often do twice a week-long course at their normal dance school, one week early summer and one just before school starts again.

And thank you! 

Congrats to DD2...WL is a big deal! And it's definitely a good idea to audition for a lot... much better to have some choices than nothing at all! :) 

Best of luck to DD1 with her career as well! And good luck to DD3... I wish everyone in my family loved ballet as much as I do! Haha... but it definitely sounds like you guys will have a busy summer. Enjoy it, and I hope all goes well. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, DD2 has been accepted at ABT Summer Intensive in Texas and we have a week to send a down payment!

Does anyone know anyone having done it or anything that could be useful to make up our mind if she should go or not, keeping in mind she's still waiting for answers from RBS and POB?

Thank you

Edited by afab

Do you know anything about the summer intensive called American academy of ballet director mignon furman? supposed to be good, just wondering if anyone had any personal information! :)

Hi maleballetdancer12, my daughter attended this at the end of her yr 8 and had a fantastic time! There were a lot of kids from Royal there and although the standard was very mixed they were put into groups of their ability. Also the good thing is it doesn't start too early so British kids can get there for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Hi all, DD2 has been accepted at ABT Summer Intensive in Texas and we have a week to send a down payment!

Does anyone know anyone having done it or anything that could be useful to make up our mind if she should go or not, keeping in mind she's still waiting for answers from RBS and POB?

Thank you

Hi, this is only hearsay but when I was researching ABT via the US ballet forum I got the distinct impression that the ABT SI's varied in prestige according to location with NY being the one that was considered the most top flight and consequently most difficult to get in to. Of course it is also the one that doesn't have accommodation so that limits it to older student IMO (unless you have the luxury of being able to take a 3 week break to NY just to accompany your DK!)...

Of course this doesn't mean the teaching varies and we don't have direct experience- but I really would recommend looking at the US forum it is a mine of useful information.... (dancers.invisionzone.com/)

• Like 1