Scottish Ballet 2020 Season and onwards - The Scandal at Mayerling, and others

Scottish Ballet has just announced its full programme for 2020.  Alongside revivals of Swan Lake and Nutcracker, by far the most intriguing prospect is what is described as a 'reimagined and redesigned' version of Kenneth McMillan's Mayerling.  The full season details can be found here, but I've done a copy and paste below of the blurb about Mayerling. 

The year is 1889 and, in the woods outside Vienna, the Empire must hide a terrible secret.

At the royal Mayerling hunting lodge, Crown Prince Rudolf is found shot dead alongside his teenage mistress.

We rewind the clock to watch this desperate young man, the heir to the throne, plunge into his own paranoia. Trapped by the stifling opulence of the Habsburg court, Rudolf’s mental turmoil envelops all those around him. In a series of increasingly intense duets with his mother, his wife, and his mistress, Rudolf descends deeper into his obsession with death, and hurtles towards tragedy.

Rudolf’s morbid fascination, sexual appetite and ultimate violence make this real-life anti-hero as compelling as Hamlet, while Sir Kenneth MacMillan’s breathtaking choreography takes us on a physical and emotional rollercoaster. The sweeping intensity of the ballet is matched by the sumptuous music of Franz Liszt, performed live by the Scottish Ballet Orchestra.

Reimagined and redesigned by Scottish Ballet, this dramatic world premiere will be the first time MacMillan’s iconic ballet is produced in the UK outside of London.

Recommended for audiences 12+

Content warning: please be advised that this production includes themes of mental illness, sexual violence, addiction and suicide. For more information, please contact us.

#SBMayerling

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Probably a bit stripped back - maybe fewer characters, no opera singer, smaller crowd scenes, etc

I'd agree that given the reduced resources Scottish Ballet have that this is probably how it will work.  I think it's probably relevant that they're not calling it 'Mayerling' but 'The Scandal at Mayerling' and are talking about it as a 'world premiere'.

• Like 1

Strikes me New Zealand has found a more refreshing approach which might be more appropriate for an Australian.

https://dpmc.govt.nz/our-programmes/new-zealand-royal-honours/honours-lists-and-recipients/information-honours-recipients/titles-styles-knights-dames

2. Wife of a knight (courtesy titles)

The wife of a knight may use the courtesy title of “Lady” before her surname, provided she uses her husband’s surname. For example, the wife of Sir John Smith is:

Lady Smith.

To distinguish between other women with the same name and title, it may be necessary to use a forename; e.g.

Mary, Lady Smith.

In the United Kingdom, the style "Lady Mary Smith" indicates that a woman is a holder of a peerage courtesy title in her own right, and is considered incorrect usage by the wife of a knight.

In New Zealand’s more relaxed society, however, as there is no system of hereditary peerages, this convention is not always observed and the following styles may be used on occasions where the holder of the courtesy title considers it to be appropriate:

Lady Mary

Lady Mary Smith.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sim said:

Can you please enlighten me, BBB?  Is this to do with the use of 'Lady'?

Yes.  As the widow of a knight bachelor, she is Lady MacMillan or Deborah, Lady MacMillan.

Lady firstname surname is a courtesy title for the daughter of a duke, marquess or earl (as in Lady Mary Crawley or Lady Sarah Chatto).

• Like 2

From an interview with Christopher Hampson by Kelly Apter in The List:

'We're using all of Kenneth's original choreography and the same score,' explains Hampson, 'but there will be some adaptations in terms of the scenes we present, and the order we present them in. So it's two acts rather than three, and because there will be far less pageantry around Rudolf, we'll really focus in on those iconic, key dramatic moments in his life.'

Well hallelujah. I've been saying, and writing, for so long that there could be fine, strong ballets buried inside MacMillan's blockbusters and I'm so pleased someone is trying this!

Hope it's a huge success. Extra doublegood if they drop the brothel scene.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jane S said:

'We're using all of Kenneth's original choreography and the same score,' explains Hampson, 'but there will be some adaptations in terms of the scenes we present, and the order we present them in. So it's two acts rather than three, and because there will be far less pageantry around Rudolf, we'll really focus in on those iconic, key dramatic moments in his life.'

Well hallelujah. I've been saying, and writing, for so long that there could be fine, strong ballets buried inside MacMillan's blockbusters and I'm so pleased someone is trying this!

Dear Lord, does this mean Rudolf will have even less time to catch his breath between all his pas de deux and solos?

• Like 4

On 06/11/2019 at 21:41, Jane S said:

This is really interesting considering the fact that Stuttgart Ballet was not allowed to change a single step in their version with new sets and costumes by Jürgen Rose. And he really wanted to change some small details - nothing essential of course, but fitting to his sets. So how does Lady MacMillan decide who changes scenes and who does not? Anyhow, it is a smart approach to make small changes in every new Mayerling production you assign to another company...

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:41, Jane S said:

My literal mind is still querying this; they cannot actually be using 'all of Kenneth's original choreography and the same score', otherwise it would be the same length as the original... Or is it being suggested that MacMillan did not choreograph the whole work?! (Or that only the pas deux matter? Seems very reductive to me if so.) And the score must be being cut/adapted and will therefore not be 'the same'. I get the gist, but it annoys me when people are so imprecise especially in what is after all a pretty significant public statement.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, bridiem said:

My literal mind is still querying this; they cannot actually be using 'all of Kenneth's original choreography and the same score', otherwise it would be the same length as the original... Or is it being suggested that MacMillan did not choreograph the whole work?! (Or that only the pas deux matter? Seems very reductive to me if so.) And the score must be being cut/adapted and will therefore not be 'the same'. I get the gist, but it annoys me when people are so imprecise especially in what is after all a pretty significant public statement.

They could just cut some scenes entirely (the starting ball, and its walk-on parade; the fireworks show and opera bit; the hunt scene where the gun goes off; the pub scene maybe; the Hungarian officers - that sort of thing), but use the choreography and score the same, for the scenes they do perform.

At least, that's my guess.

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

They could just cut some scenes entirely (the starting ball, and its walk-on parade; the fireworks show and opera bit; the hunt scene where the gun goes off; the pub scene maybe; the Hungarian officers - that sort of thing), but use the choreography and score the same, for the scenes they do perform.

At least, that's my guess.

Yes, I imagine you're right; but that's not what was said.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 14:45, bangorballetboy said:

Yes.  As the widow of a knight bachelor, she is Lady MacMillan or Deborah, Lady MacMillan.

Lady firstname surname is a courtesy title for the daughter of a duke, marquess or earl (as in Lady Mary Crawley or Lady Sarah Chatto).

I love the fact that you've put Lady Mary Crawley before Lady Sarah Chatto! :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Coppélia added for 2022 (didn't want to start a new thread)

We're thrilled to announce that Coppélia will be the fourth ballet as part of our ambitious Five in Five Campaign. Coppélia has been commissioned by the Edinburgh International Festival and will have its world premiere in 2022, followed by a national tour. 

This innovative new production will be choreographed and directed by UK-based duo Jess & Morgs. Building on their previous films for Scottish Ballet (Tremble, The Secret Theatre), Jess & Morgs will explore our relationship with reality through their playful use of the camera, creating a unique experience for a live theatre audience.

We will test the boundaries of dance, theatre and film in this distinctive new adaptation of the classic ballet, blending location and real-time filming with projection and live performance.

And that's not all! We're also delighted to announce that Coppélia has been shortlisted for the 2021 FEDORA Ballet Prize. The FEDORA Platform showcases and supports excellence and renewal in the field of opera and ballet, with a mission to increase accessibility and reach out to a wider audience.

From 5pm (GMT) today, you can vote for Coppélia to help us reach the next stage of the competition. (and ENB and BRB also have productions on the short list - https://www.fedora-platform.com/discover/shortlist#ballet)

https://www.fedora-platform.com/discover/shortlist/coppelia-in-the-digital-age/374

Edited by oncnp

• alison changed the title to Scottish Ballet 2020 Season and onwards - The Scandal at Mayerling, and others
  • 1 month later...
Guest oncnp

Scandal at Mayerling postponed....

"Due to ongoing social distancing requirements, we have consulted with our touring theatre partners and have taken difficult the decision to move the world premiere of The Scandal at Mayerling to Spring 2022. As the third major work in our Five in Five campaign, it is important that we can create this new production without limitations. "

Bad news for them but good news for me as I might be allowed into the country (without quarrentine) to see it by then. 

Edited by oncnp

• 1 year later...