James Barton has retired from BRB

Tonight was James Barton’s final performance with BRB.  He is taking up a position with Scottish Ballet as assistant rehearsal director.

James has long been one of my favourite dancers - always neat and deft and a brilliant actor.

He is my favourite ever Puck in The Dream and danced both Alain and Widow Simone in Fille subtly and movingly.  He was just brilliant as the urchin in Miracle of the Gorbals. He had great success as Mercutio and was a blur of virtuosity in the flying solo in Take Five in an unforgettable performance on the huge stage in Munich.  He will be much missed by all his fans on the Birmingham stage.

Very best wishes to James for this next phase in his career.  

• Like 9

There is something very special about James.  He is obviously highly intelligent dancer and I am not surprised he is going to stay in dance but in a teaching capacity rather than as a performance.  

I agree with Janet.  He will be much missed

• Like 1

Oh - that's sad - I remember he used to come to very occasionally to one of the classes I used to do at DanceXchange (I think when particular teachers were teaching class), and he was always really quiet & lovely, and took his place alongside all us amateur adults.

• Like 2