Mariinsky Ballet -- Cinderella -- Washington, DC

Balletco's own Oksana Khadarina has written a very fine review of the first performance. I actually attended all the original performances (Washington DC, 2005) at the very beginning of my ballet watching 'career'. I share many of Oksana's opinions. I feel that this ballet and Alexei Ratmansky's subsequent Bright Stream are very dependent for their success on the lead dancers, especially the ballerina. Cinderella was created for Diana Vishneva to perform and she did it brilliantly. I also believe, based on internet video clips, that Alina Somova could, in her own distinct way, be just as impressive.

I'm very glad to hear good reports about Maria Shirinkina. She's a lyrical gem whom I've also seen turn into quite an impressive firecracker.

Daria Pavlenko, as Cinderella, and her husband, Alexander Sergeyev, as the Prince, have received very fine internet praise as well. You have to love Daria Pavlenko for her heart and loveliness, both on stage and off. Her determination over the years has been heart touching. Alexander Sergeyev, everyone seems to agree, is a prince -- and a darn good dancer.

Ekaterina Osmolkina, the other Cinderella, ran into injury problems early on, and had to be replaced by Maria Shirinkina, who once again showed that dancers are made of steel as well as heart.

Here are some quotes from Oxana's article. I would definitely recommend this article for it's comprehensiveness, perception and sympathetic viewpoint. It's a very fine look at perhaps the greatest dance company in the world and one of today's best and most interesting lyrical/classical creators of dance.

"Yet Ratmansky is at his most imaginative in creating steps for the leading couple. In their duets, the choreographer’s response to the music is natural and sensitive; each movement superbly illuminates the profound poignancy of Prokofiev’s score. As a result, Cinderella and her Prince are bestowed the most satisfying dancing of the evening, reminding the audience once and again of the exquisiteness and infinite possibilities of pure classical ballet.

"On opening night, Maria Shirinkina was an ideal Cinderella. The young ballerina demonstrated a wonderful range of expression, establishing Cinderella’s character. She was utterly convincing, whether she was playing a gawky teenager or a young woman in love. Delightful and lively in her solos, she wonderfully conveyed the sweetness and girlish charm of her heroine. The boyishly handsome and technically assured Vladimir Shklyarov was her Prince.

"It was an infinite pleasure to see these two beautiful dancers effortlessly conquering the ingenuities of Ratmansky’s choreography. There was an inescapable sense of joy and freedom about their performance. Together, they ultimately captured our hearts, creating the loveliest, most memorable moments of the ballet.

http://www.dancetabs...lla-washington/

Edited by Buddy

Daria Pavlenko, as Cinderella, and her husband, Alexander Sergeyev, as the Prince, have received very fine internet praise as well. You have to love Daria Pavlenko for her heart and loveliness, both on stage and off. Her determination over the years has been heart touching. Alexander Sergeyev, everyone seems to agree, is a prince -- and a darn good dancer.

It was an absolute joy to watch Pavlenko and Sergeyev. They looked, and danced, great together. Act III’s pas de deux was beautiful.

I impatiently look forward to my next Mariinsky fix in St. Petersburg on 13-14 April 2013 (La Bayadère and Anna Karenina)

• Like 1