Darcey Bussell - video clips?

So I was talking to a young person who only knows Darcey B from Strictly,  and I was thinking about a clip to send them of a performance that defined her dancing.  If you were only allowed one,  which ballet would you choose?  I bet many people would be amazed to see her at her finest.... 

Edited by cavycapers

I don't have a clip to hand, but there must be one - of her final ROH performance in Song of the Earth.  I only saw it on TV but I recall those last minutes, with that long anguished reverse bourrée in Der Abschied, and the advance into an unknown future, as something rather special.  

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I don't have a clip to hand, but there must be one - of her final ROH performance in Song of the Earth.  I only saw it on TV but I recall those last minutes, with that long anguished reverse bourrée in Der Abschied, and the advance into an unknown future, as something rather special.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NzRPL07lgpk

I still hope at some point the whole of the performance will be released on DVD.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JohnS said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NzRPL07lgpk

I still hope at some point the whole of the performance will be released on DVD.

I so agree. My recorder failed that the start of the BBC relay and I have been trying ever since to get a copy. There is no recording on DVD/Blu-ray of this key work - it is a major gap in MacMillan/RB discography and I can't understand why Darcey Bussell's farewell performance has not been released. Is there some kind of copyright dispute or something?

• Like 3

There is a clip on YouTube of Darcey dancing Gamzatti (Temple Destruction scene) which is just about perfect and my standard for other Gamzattis!  Those long, sinuous extensions which seem to last forever, just so fitting the part and driven turns, some of them seeming to leave the signature of the movement in the air.  I tried to insert it here and couldn't make it work but it isn't difficult to find.

I am lucky in having persuaded my brother, who had a DVD writer at the time, to record her last performance (Song of the Earth), at the last moment.  Symphonic Variations, which was the second ballet of the triple bill that evening, was also very special, in fact my favourite of the three.  Some of the dancers were Roberta Marquez, Belinda Hatley, Laura Morera,  and Stephen Macrae.  I think it was also Belinda Hatley's last performance; the audience certainly got an evening to remember on that occasion!

• Like 4

• alison changed the title to Darcey Bussell - video clips?
1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Beautiful.  She is sunny, like Nunez

Isn't it interesting how you can gauge a dancer's personality by watching them perform.  Even though they are doing (more or less) the same movements their true character somehow shines through.  That is why I admire some dancers but don't truly 'love' them - even though they are good.  And others, perhaps less perfect even, are so adorable they engage one's affection.   I tend to be especially fond of the conscientious, humble and less extroverted ones (so long as they express themselves beautifully on stage of course).

• Like 3

I didn't often book for Bussell, because I didn't find her very interesting or deep from a dramatic point of view. Now, and especially after I'd watched her final Song of the Earth performance (recorded from the TV), I regret that very much. Her dancing really was glorious, and in the right role/s she could be profoundly beautiful. 

• Like 6

I saw Darcey dance Sylvia towards the end of her career and I thought she seemed uncomfortable in the role but those YouTube clips are absolutely wonderful particularly The Song of The Earth one. Thank you to the people who shared them. 

• Like 1