ROH Don Pasquale

Geoff

Following an exceptionally sour review from Hugh Canning in last week’s Sunday Times, I wanted to put in a word for the new Don Pasquale, which I saw at yesterday's noon matinee. Despite the unpromising critical context; the unpromising slot (sad to say but weekend matinees can often be slack, for whatever reasons); and the unpromising opening stage image (fashionable neon paired with fashionable Italian working-class design) we had a great time.

My companion - a musician visiting the ROH for the first time in 45 years - agreed on the following:

* Bryn Terfel has not been so good in a long time. This role seems to suit the current state of his voice.

* All the cast did well, and often exceptionally well.

* Pido kept things going and together (which is not always easy in this rep)

* The production worked and made us laugh (even the fashionable video was - at least in the first half - used to good effect)

Well worth a punt, if one is undecided about going. And of course the work is - arguably - Donizetti’s masterpiece.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

I attended the dress rehearsal, which I enjoyed, even though it's one of my least favourite operas - I love the music, but the plot is so mean-spirited and all the characters are awful people!

Though of course one makes allowances at a rehearsal, I particularly enjoyed the tenor, Ioan Hotea.  Judging by the reviews I can only assume he had a fairly serious off-night on press night, which is unfortunate.

• Like 1

I agree with Ruth about both the plot and the performances - I’ve also only seen the dress rehearsal but I thought Hotea and Peretyatko were both excellent, though I didn’t really like either’s basic timbre.

Terfel was very good too and seemed to have opted - sensibly - for phrasing over volume this time.