I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere but I just thought I'd post this link to the ROH 2019/20 cinema offerings. 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/all?event-type=cinema-broadcasts,bp-big-screens

The RB cinema broadcasts are:- Concerto, Enigma Variations/Raymonda Act 3  5th November

Coppelia                                                                     10th December 

Sleeping Beauty                                                        16th January                                                                             

New Marston/New Scarlett                                     25th February

Swan Lake                                                                  1st April                                                             

The Dante Project                                                      28th May

Additionally, not mentioned here, during last weeks triple cinema broadcast Kevin O'Hare said there would be a Christmas cinema screening of the 2016 Nutcracker. This prompted me to wonder why more past broadcasts weren't screened as the Bolshoi do. It would make sense if people hadn't seen them for a while. Also I wonder if we can get an inkling of screen casting as a photo of Naghdi/Ball was used for the Sleeping Beauty and Takada in Swan Lake. or is that just coincidence?

• Like 3

On 19/05/2019 at 15:28, jmhopton said:

Also I wonder if we can get an inkling of screen casting as a photo of Naghdi/Ball was used for the Sleeping Beauty and Takada in Swan Lake. or is that just coincidence?

I think we can get an inkling :) 

• 2 months later...

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:
c4737eab-f3bf-431e-9b76-98c6597c5320.jpg
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MATTHEW BOURNE’S ROMEO & JULIET
IN CINEMAS NATIONWIDE ON 22 OCTOBER

642dea19-9851-4030-ba6f-38d4185f081f.jpg

Running time 93 mins / BBFC TBC / Released in cinemas nationwide 22 October 2019

More2Screen is delighted to announce that New Adventures’ stunning new 5-star production of Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet will be screened in cinemas across the UK and Ireland from Tuesday 22 October.

‘One of Bourne’s smartest, sexiest, most stirring shows ever’
★★★★★ Daily Telegraph
‘A seismic youthquake. A Romeo and Juliet for the millennial generation’
★★★★★ The Stage
‘Your jaw will drop, there are moments so stunning that you might just forget to breathe’
★★★★★ Broadwayworld

Matthew Bourne commented: ‘I’m thrilled that New Adventures’ brand-new production of Romeo and Juliet will be in cinemas across the UK from 22 October. We have been overwhelmed by the fantastic response to the work during our tour and felt we couldn’t miss this opportunity to share it with as many people as possible across the UK and around the world. This timeless story of forbidden love, repressed emotions and teenage discovery is no better told than by the young, and I have been refreshed and inspired by what this team of young dancers and artists have brought to Shakespeare’s classic tale of tragic conflict and young love.’

This passionate and contemporary re-imagining of Shakespeare’s classic story of love and conflict is set in the not-too-distant future in ‘The Verona Institute’.  Here ‘difficult’ young people are mysteriously confined by a society that seeks to divide and crush their youthful spirit and individuality. The two young lovers must follow their hearts as they risk everything to be together. Filmed live at Sadler’s Wells in London especially for cinemas, Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet stars Cordelia Braithwaite as Juliet, Paris Fitzpatrick as Romeo, Dan Wright as Tybalt and Ben Brown as Mercutio.

‘Paris Fitzpatrick is a wonderful Romeo, tender-hearted and heartbreakingly out of his depth. Cordelia Braithwaite is a beautiful and doomed Juliet, a young woman who moves with a fleet grace and a sense of unhinged desperation.’ ★★★★ The Times

Bursting with youth, vitality and Matthew Bourne’s trademark storytelling, the UK’s brightest young dance talent join the New Adventures company, with direction and choreography by Matthew Bourne, design by Lez Brotherston, lighting by Paule Constable, sound by Paul Groothuis and new orchestrations of the Prokofiev score by Terry Davies, played live by the New Adventures Orchestra conducted by Brett Morris.

Matthew Bourne’s Romeo and Juliet is directed for the screen by Ross MacGibbon and produced by Illuminations.  It is being screened in cinemas worldwide by More2Screen, a leading Event Cinema distributor based in London.

This cinema release would not have been possible without the support of the following partners: New Adventures, Arts Council England, Bradford Theatres, Birmingham Hippodrome, Curve Theatre, Sadler’s Wells, Theatre Royal Plymouth and Mayflower Theatre.

For more information and to book cinema tickets visit: RomeoAndJulietInCinemas.com

#RomeoandJulietCinema

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Theatre screening at Pushkin House, 5a Bloomsbury Square, London, WC1A 2TA

"THE KARAMAZOV BROTHERS"

By Eifman Ballet (recorded at the stage of the Bolshoi Theatre)

Sunday, 10 November 2019, 3:15 pm  4:45 pm
The Brothers Karamazov novel is the epitome of Fyodor Dostoevsky’s creative work, the acme of the philosophic investigation carried out by this colossal and restless mind throughout his life. World renowned choreographer Boris Eifman offers a remarkable vision of the core ideas within the novel, expanding upon them though body language as a way of exploring the origins of the moral devastation of the Karamazovs; creating through choreographic art an equivalent of what Dostoyevsky investigated so masterfully in his book, the excruciating burden of destructive passions and evil heredity.
https://www.pushkinhouse.org/events/2019/11/10/screening-the-brothers-karamazov-eifman-ballet

"ANNA KARENINA"

By Moscow Operetta Theatre          Sunday, 16 February 2020, 3:00 pm  5:30 pm
An encore screening of the musical “Anna Karenina", a spectacular, breathtaking, emotional, high-tech production based on the masterpiece by Leo Tolstoy. 
https://www.pushkinhouse.org/events/2019/1/20/premier-screening-anna-karenina-moscow-operetta-theatre-cmrpp-3fhrs

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FionaE said:

I am doing a bit of historical research.  Does anyone know when the first live screening in cinemas from the Royal Ballet was?

I don't know the exact date but the earliest one I remember was in 2008.  It was a screening of The Nutcracker with Alexandra Ansanelli and Valeri Hristov as the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Prince.  Iohna Loots and Ricardo Cervera were Clara and Hans-Peter and Gary Avis was Drosselmeyer

Edited to add that I've just googled it and found a date on the Time Out website: December 28 2008

https://www.timeout.com/london/dance/the-nutcracker-live-screening-4

Edited by Bluebird

15 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I don't know the exact date but the earliest one I remember was in 2008.  It was a screening of The Nutcracker with Alexandra Ansanelli and Valeri Hristov

Edited to add that I've just googled it and found a date on the Time Out website: December 28 2008

https://www.timeout.com/london/dance/the-nutcracker-live-screening-4

Thank you, that was a very quick response!  I knew someone on here would know.  Much obliged.

I found this link which refers to the first ever ‘season’ of live cinema relays, which is not quite the same as the first ever live one-off relay that you have found.

https://www.roh.org.uk/news/cinema-season-201112-launched

6 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I don't know the exact date but the earliest one I remember was in 2008.  It was a screening of The Nutcracker with Alexandra Ansanelli and Valeri Hristov as the Sugar Plum Fairy and the Prince.  Iohna Loots and Ricardo Cervera were Clara and Hans-Peter and Gary Avis was Drosselmeyer

Was it live?  I remember the Ed Watson Mayerling (which I think was shown in spring 2009) was recorded.

• alison changed the title to Ballet and dance in cinemas, 2019-20
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the RB's Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III programme is in cinemas later on today - plus some possible repeat performances next weekend and onwards.

Not sure whether the sudden rash of extra cinemas broadcasting it in my area is responsible for the lack of encore showings, or whether it's just a commercial decision because they don't think a mixed bill will sell adequately :( 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alison said:

Just a reminder that the RB's Concerto / Enigma Variations / Raymonda Act III programme is in cinemas later on today - plus some possible repeat performances next weekend and onwards.

Not sure whether the sudden rash of extra cinemas broadcasting it in my area is responsible for the lack of encore showings, or whether it's just a commercial decision because they don't think a mixed bill will sell adequately :( 

The Vue off Purley Way has a showing at 2pm Sunday. At the moment, you would be the only punter in there....

I was going to ask whether anyone knows what the Bolshoi do about their repeats (i.e. previously recorded broadcasts), and whether they still put them online for 24 hours (I was thinking about doing this ballet thing at the Coliseum next Sunday, but I had to miss the last act of Corsaire last time around because it was so long and it was a later start than usual owing to the clocks going back, so I haven't seen it fully yet).  However, I then realised that because it's a repeat it may be on at different times next Sunday depending on venue, in which case I might be able to fit in a showing *and* the Coliseum in the evening.

51 minutes ago, alison said:

I was going to ask whether anyone knows what the Bolshoi do about their repeats (i.e. previously recorded broadcasts), and whether they still put them online for 24 hours 

on line for 24 hours after the  broadcast.  I think it's the same with the repeats

As I suspected, Le Corsaire tomorrow, being a recording, is all over the place - cinemas I've checked have been between midday and 3 pm thus far.  But the Pathé site is much improved - you can now find showings on it easily in the UK, at least.

On 12/11/2019 at 23:52, alison said:

I was going to ask whether anyone knows what the Bolshoi do about their repeats (i.e. previously recorded broadcasts), and whether they still put them online for 24 hours (I was thinking about doing this ballet thing at the Coliseum next Sunday, but I had to miss the last act of Corsaire last time around because it was so long and it was a later start than usual owing to the clocks going back, so I haven't seen it fully yet).  However, I then realised that because it's a repeat it may be on at different times next Sunday depending on venue, in which case I might be able to fit in a showing *and* the Coliseum in the evening.

I hope they do put Corsaire on line, I was unable to make it to the cinema today and I would love to see this one.

I didn't see it but I believe it was the 2017 recording.  When it was last on I pasted the cast list from the Bolshoi website onto a Word document.  I'll try to attach it here.

If that was the recording that was shown, I hope you can find the answer to your question on this list.

Bolshoi 2017 Le Corsaire Krysanova Tsvirko Khokhlova.docx

Edited by Bluebird

7 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I didn't see it but I believe it was the 2017 recording.  When it was last on I pasted the cast list from the Bolshoi website onto a Word document.  I'll try to attach it here.

If that was the recording that was shown, I hope you can find the answer to your question on this list.

Bolshoi 2017 Le Corsaire Krysanova Tsvirko Khokhlova.docx 15.1 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you so much, Bluebird. It was Belyakov.

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:53, Bluebird said:

(But not updated)

Now that the run of RB Sleeping Beauties has finished, I can't find any way of accessing the Encore showings of Thursday's broadcast, which I had to miss: can anyone help, please?

35 minutes ago, alison said:

Now that the run of RB Sleeping Beauties has finished, I can't find any way of accessing the Encore showings of Thursday's broadcast, which I had to miss: can anyone help, please?

https://www.roh.org.uk/screenings?northEastLat=51.5347036&northEastLng=-0.0692243&southWestLat=51.4895131&southWestLng=-0.1787443&centerLat=51.5121140&centerLng=-0.1239843&zoom=13&location=Covent Garden&type=encore&cinema=u-vue-west-end-leicester-square&dateTo=&locationLat=51.5116571&locationLng=-0.1240436

there is a tab that says filter by: with an arrow at the end, if you click that you can choose only encore screening. I have put it up in the link above. enjoy the cinema screening.

https://www.roh.org.uk/showings/the-sleeping-beauty-live-2020 this is a link for the cast list.

Edited by Janite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, alison said:

This was on Facebook but I’m not sure the link has copied:

😍 The Royal Ballet's Fumi Kaneko was absolutely stunning as Princess Aurora in our Sleeping Beauty cinema relay!

If you missed this wonderful performance, you can now watch Encore screenings all weekend 🙌

Find your nearest cinema: www.ro.house/BeautyCinemas

It’s not good that the website doesn’t support encore screenings direct.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, alison said:

Thanks, Janite.  You might have thought that "See all cinema relays and broadcasts" on the Tickets and Events page was the way to go (logical, no?) but no :( 

I agree, I got to the page from a goggle search! 

• Like 1