Royal Ballet 2019/20 Spring Season Casting

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Thank you for sharing the programme information- very interesting.

Is there anything about the Gala in the magazine?

Only what Richard LH has posted in the new thread about it. Plus mentions a few opera stars (Gheorghiu, Beczala and Keenlyside).

• Like 1

On 25/11/2019 at 22:56, Bluebird said:

I believe the link has been already been posted somewhere on the Forum but it will be useful to have it in this thread as well:

https://static.roh.org.uk/seatmaps/2019-20/ROH1920-BP3-Seating-Plans.pdf?_ga=2.193516334.2057004418.1574712416-319804654.1558825193

How did you get hold of a seating plan with prices? I have looked but can't find one.

just found it!

Edited by Janite

• 3 weeks later...

From the January ROH Friends newsletter:

“Designs for The Dante Project include film projection by artist Tacita Dean. As part of the design, the projection generates sound, an integral part of the ballet’s concept and audio experience. Some balcony tickets - from which the projector will be heard - are now available to book at a discount.”

i know I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch dance/ballet. I do not want to watch a collection of projections, a lighting display, over loud music, orunflattering costumes. Even Woolf Works, which I enjoyed, could, to my mind, have been improved by removing some of the more extreme elements. I have booked for Dante, but like other posters, am already feeling some trepidation.

Edited by ninamargaret
spelling
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

i know I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch dance/ballet. I do not want to watch a collection of projections, a lighting display, over loud music, orunflattering costumes. Even Woolf Works, which I enjoyed, could, to my mind, have been improved by removing some of the more extreme elements. I have booked for Dante, but like other posters, am already feeling some trepidation.

Isn't there a saying: 'all dressed up .... '? .... I suppose we shall see.  

32 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

i know I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch dance/ballet. I do not want to watch a collection of projections, a lighting display, over loud music, orunflattering costumes. 

No-one is forcing you to buy a ticket.

I'm sure people said similar things about The Rite of Spring in 1913.

• Like 3

I find something deeply unsettling about any volumes that to me amount to an assault on my hearing. I do hope the ROH has learned from Multiverse when volumes were reduced after strong feedback. I fortunately went later in the run and enjoyed the performance - I’d welcome Multiverse’s return (so long as the volumes were set to the lower levels).

I’m very much looking forward to The Dante Project and it’s by no means clear from the blurb that volumes are intended to be loud/excessive. Isn’t it that in some places, audiences will hear the projector more than the sound being projected? I’m unsure about the creative process here and who’s generating the sound projections but surely Thomas Adès would ensure the sound projections complement his composition?

• Like 4

Maybe my problem is that while I generally enjoy the choreography i don't enjoy the staging of his works, which I find distracting. I totally understand that it's his concept of how a work should look, but I find it difficult to concentrate on the dance when there is so much going on. Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing it, but with the aforesaid trepidation for the health of my eardrums!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

Not casting as such, but I've received an email advising that International Draft Works on 20 March will now start at 2.45 p.m. rather than 7.45 p.m.  I imagine quite a few people will be returning their tickets for refunds (and it's not selling that well at the moment either).

And if someone wants to switch to Thursday evening 7.45pm I'm selling one in the stalls. See Ticket Exchange section

I have booked a ticket for The Cellist, but I haven't actually received it yet.  Normally I would expect these things to come pretty quickly after booking..  Have other peoplle received their tickets?  I know it is quite a while before the performance, but I should I be ringing the box office? 

11 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I have booked a ticket for The Cellist, but I haven't actually received it yet.  Normally I would expect these things to come pretty quickly after booking..  Have other peoplle received their tickets?  I know it is quite a while before the performance, but I should I be ringing the box office? 

When did you book it?  If it was on public booking day, I'd give it a few more days as they have quite a lot of tickets to send out and it does take them a day or two to do them all.

40 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

When did you book it?  If it was on public booking day, I'd give it a few more days as they have quite a lot of tickets to send out and it does take them a day or two to do them all.

I booked it on the 11th Jan.  

• 2 weeks later...

Re the Heritage programme, this comes from the recent BRB press release: 

“ Celebrating the company’s rich history, Birmingham Royal Ballet will join its sister company The Royal Ballet and Yorke Dance Project at The Linbury Theatre in May 2020 as part of an evening celebrating the choreographers who have shaped the Royal Ballet companies’ shared history. The evening, titled Heritage, will feature Birmingham Royal Ballet performing Sir Frederick Ashton’s Dante Sonata (1940, performed at the Linbury Theatre, 14-19 May 2020).  

• 3 weeks later...

Our records show that you are due to attend a performance of Live Fire Exercise / Prodigal Son / Corybantic Games. We are contacting you to let you know that the following cast changes have been made:

2 April, 7 April 2020:

Cesar Corrales replaces Steven McRae as the Prodigal Son, in Prodigal Son.

4 April, 16 April, 17 April 2020:

Melissa Hamilton replaces Olivia Cowley in Live Fire Exercise.

Annette Buvoli replaces Chisato Katsura in Corybantic Games.

1 minute ago, Blossom said:

But yes, can see Corrales in the role too. And can completely see Osipova as the Siren (and Clare Calvert for her dates too).

So can I...but sadly, because I can't stand the other two pieces in this triple, I am skipping it.  If Prodigal weren't the middle piece, I would have gone.  Ah well, I will have to experience it vicariously through all of those who do go along!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sim said:

So can I...but sadly, because I can't stand the other two pieces in this triple, I am skipping it.  If Prodigal weren't the middle piece, I would have gone.  Ah well, I will have to experience it vicariously through all of those who do go along!

I'm going, to see Calvert & Campbell, but am considering leaving after Prodigal Son, if it does end up being the middle part of the bill. Given the re-arrangement for Dances At A Gathering/The Cellist I'm half expecting Prodigal Son to end up being placed last so we have to suffer both the others first! I've not seen Corybantic Games but from the reviews when it was new I'd be amazed if I didn't dislike it. I have equally low hopes for Live Fire Exercise but since the cast I'll be seeing is stuffed with dancers I really like I think I'll give it a go. I suppose I can always close my eyes if I can't stand it! Now Corrales has replaced McRae I'd love to see him but really can't face Live Fire Exercise twice!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2