Sign in to follow this  
Lizbie1

Royal Ballet 2019/20 Spring Season Casting

26 minutes ago, Sim said:

I was told that this is because there are going to be lots of video projections, etc., and they aren't sure yet where they are going to come from and therefore where all the cameras are going to be.  I suppose that once it's all figured out they will release more Balcony tickets. 

If so, shouldn't that be made clear when people are trying to book for it?

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

If so, shouldn't that be made clear when people are trying to book for it?

You would think so....

I am already not liking this new piece... :lol:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Do you mean the Live Fire triple? The first night of the Dante Project isn’t until May.

Sorry Lizbie  you are right,  I meant 06 May,   the Dante Project first night ...I checked again just now and  got Sorry tickets are currently unavailable. Returns may be available later.

The following description for the Heritage bill now appears on the website:

"The Royal Ballet celebrates its unique heritage through works and choreographers who have shaped the Company's history. Heritage brings alive the legacy of these choreographers, presenting works by Ninette de Valois, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan performed in the intimacy of the Linbury Theatre by The Royal Ballet and guest companies. The Royal Ballet celebrate the rich British contribution to the international ballet repertory. These performances are complemented by a programme of insights and film screenings."

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

The following description for the Heritage bill now appears on the website:

"The Royal Ballet celebrates its unique heritage through works and choreographers who have shaped the Company's history. Heritage brings alive the legacy of these choreographers, presenting works by Ninette de Valois, Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan performed in the intimacy of the Linbury Theatre by The Royal Ballet and guest companies. The Royal Ballet celebrate the rich British contribution to the international ballet repertory. These performances are complemented by a programme of insights and film screenings."

Not sure if this is new info (apologies if not), but the bill consists of Solos from Job  (RB), Dante Sonata (BRB), Sea of Troubles (Yorke Dance Project) and Valses nobles et sentimentales (RB). I imagine it will be very difficult to get tickets for this since it's in the Linbury and there are only a few performances. But it sounds exciting!

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Not sure if this is new info (apologies if not), but the bill consists of Solos from Job  (RB), Dante Sonata (BRB), Sea of Troubles (Yorke Dance Project) and Valses nobles et sentimentales (RB). I imagine it will be very difficult to get tickets for this since it's in the Linbury and there are only a few performances. But it sounds exciting!

May I ask where this info comes from?

1 minute ago, bangorballetboy said:

May I ask where this info comes from?

The ROH Magazine, which I received today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Thank you for sharing the programme information- very interesting.

Is there anything about the Gala in the magazine?

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Thank you for sharing the programme information- very interesting.

Is there anything about the Gala in the magazine?

Only what Richard LH has posted in the new thread about it. Plus mentions a few opera stars (Gheorghiu, Beczala and Keenlyside).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Great, thanks.  Wish they would update the website too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 25/11/2019 at 22:56, Bluebird said:

I believe the link has been already been posted somewhere on the Forum but it will be useful to have it in this thread as well:

https://static.roh.org.uk/seatmaps/2019-20/ROH1920-BP3-Seating-Plans.pdf?_ga=2.193516334.2057004418.1574712416-319804654.1558825193

How did you get hold of a seating plan with prices? I have looked but can't find one.

just found it!

Edited by Janite

From the January ROH Friends newsletter:

“Designs for The Dante Project include film projection by artist Tacita Dean. As part of the design, the projection generates sound, an integral part of the ballet’s concept and audio experience. Some balcony tickets - from which the projector will be heard - are now available to book at a discount.”

I wonder if I will feel like I’ve walked through the seven circles of hell after I’ve watched this ballet?

• Like 4

I’m taking earplugs. The McGregor piece with “It’s gonna rain” was already unbearably loud.

• Like 2

i know I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch dance/ballet. I do not want to watch a collection of projections, a lighting display, over loud music, orunflattering costumes. Even Woolf Works, which I enjoyed, could, to my mind, have been improved by removing some of the more extreme elements. I have booked for Dante, but like other posters, am already feeling some trepidation.

Edited by ninamargaret
spelling
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

i know I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch dance/ballet. I do not want to watch a collection of projections, a lighting display, over loud music, orunflattering costumes. Even Woolf Works, which I enjoyed, could, to my mind, have been improved by removing some of the more extreme elements. I have booked for Dante, but like other posters, am already feeling some trepidation.

Isn't there a saying: 'all dressed up .... '? .... I suppose we shall see.  

32 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

i know I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch dance/ballet. I do not want to watch a collection of projections, a lighting display, over loud music, orunflattering costumes. 

No-one is forcing you to buy a ticket.

I'm sure people said similar things about The Rite of Spring in 1913.

• Like 2

I find something deeply unsettling about any volumes that to me amount to an assault on my hearing. I do hope the ROH has learned from Multiverse when volumes were reduced after strong feedback. I fortunately went later in the run and enjoyed the performance - I’d welcome Multiverse’s return (so long as the volumes were set to the lower levels).

I’m very much looking forward to The Dante Project and it’s by no means clear from the blurb that volumes are intended to be loud/excessive. Isn’t it that in some places, audiences will hear the projector more than the sound being projected? I’m unsure about the creative process here and who’s generating the sound projections but surely Thomas Adès would ensure the sound projections complement his composition?

• Like 3

Perhaps someone who saw the initial stages of the work in its Los Angeles run might be able to comment?

But surely we kind of know what to expect in terms of lighting and sound (not to mention choreography and designs) from Wayne MacGregor by now?

Maybe my problem is that while I generally enjoy the choreography i don't enjoy the staging of his works, which I find distracting. I totally understand that it's his concept of how a work should look, but I find it difficult to concentrate on the dance when there is so much going on. Having said that, I am looking forward to seeing it, but with the aforesaid trepidation for the health of my eardrums!

• Like 2