Royal Ballet 2019/20 Spring Season Casting

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m still waiting for the casting to come out for Dances at a Gathering!

Whilst it looks like Premium 2 friends booking is already open for Spring (since July!) premium 1 isn’t open till 28 November. 

So wouldn’t expect casting till mid November at the earliest, though of course would welcome it earlier! 

General: 29 January 2020, 10am
Young ROH: 28 January 2020, 10am
Friends: 18 December 2019, 10am
Young Friends: 18 December 2019, 10am
Friends+: 10 December 2019, 10am
Supporting Friends: 4 December 2019, 10am
Premium 1 Friends: 28 November 2019, 10am
Premium 2 Friends: 2 July 2019, 9am

44 minutes ago, JNC said:

So wouldn’t expect casting till mid November at the earliest, though of course would welcome it earlier! 

In the now notorious Friends newsletter emailed last Thursday it said "casting will be available on your account pages from the start of next week."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’m still waiting for the casting to come out for Dances at a Gathering!

Whilst it looks like Premium 2 friends booking is already open for Spring (since July!) premium 1 isn’t open till 28 November. 

I don’t know where you found this information but there must have been a typo there. Premium 2 Friends’ booking doesn’t open till November 26. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I don’t know where you found this information but there must have been a typo there. Premium 2 Friends’ booking doesn’t open till November 26. 

Yes I got it from the ROH website directly from one of their Spring productions. 

While early casting release is good, if no one can book till late November anyway I feel as long as it’s released early November to facilitate friends etc having some time to plan what they would like to book that seems ok...? 

But it’s annoying they’ve promised something (which they didn’t have to) and not delivered. Opera casting would certainly be confirmed by now and there are only two ballets in Spring so hopefully it will come out soon.

22 minutes ago, JNC said:

While early casting release is good, if no one can book till late November anyway I feel as long as it’s released early November to facilitate friends etc having some time to plan what they would like to book that seems ok...? 

Booking for patrons starts much earlier than for higher level friends.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Booking for patrons starts much earlier than for higher level friends.

ah ok, maybe that’s why the dates are a little mixed up on the website then? 

Either way I think it’s fair for casting to be released before anyone is able to book (including patrons) so people can make informed decisions - early priority wouldn’t be worth it otherwise...?

I've attempted to copy and paste the casting from the production pages.  See below:

The Dante Project (May 6, 13, 14, 23, 28, June 1)

·         Part 1: Edward Watson

·         Part 1: Gary Avis

·         Part 1: Beatriz Stix-Brunell

·         Part 1: Marcelino Sambé

·         Part 1: Francesca Hayward

·         Part 1: Matthew Ball

·         Part 1: Calvin Richardson

·         Part 1: Anna Rose O'Sullivan

·         Part 1: Luca Acri

·         Part 1: James Hay

·         Part 1: Fumi Kaneko

·         Part 2: TBA

·         Part 3: TBA

NB - 7, 21, 26 and 30 May are showing as TBA for all 3 parts at present

Live Fire Exercise

April 2, 7, 20

Lauren Cuthbertson

Sarah Lamb

Akane Takada

Federico Bonelli

Ryoichi Hirano

Marcelino Sambé

April 4, 16, 17

Francesca Hayward

Olivia Cowley

Yasmine Naghdi

Cesar Corrales

William Bracewell

Calvin Richardson

Prodigal Son

April 2, 7,

Prodigal Son: Steven McRae

The Siren: Natalia Osipova

April 4, 17

Prodigal Son: Marcelino Sambé

The Siren: Tierney Heap

April 16, 20·     

Prodigal Son: Alexander Campbell

The Siren: Claire Calvert

Corybantic Games

April 2, 7, 20

Lauren Cuthbertson

Yasmine Naghdi

Beatriz Stix-Brunell

Mayara Magri

Tierney Heap

Ryoichi Hirano

Matthew Ball

William Bracewell

Marcelino Sambé

April 4, 16, 17

Fumi Kaneko

Claire Calvert

Chisato Katsura

Anna Rose O'Sullivan

Hannah Grennell

Reece Clarke

Nicol Edmonds

David Donnelly

Luca Acri

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Just one thing: aren't some of the Dante Project nights still fully TBA?

If they are, there's a mistake on the website as, on my computer, the same Part 1 cast shows up for each performance at the moment.  Only Parts 2 and 3 are TBA.

Edited by Bluebird

I'm in a quandary because I'd love to see all the Prodigal Son casts (esp Sambé/Heap and Campbell/Calvert), but have no wish to see the other two works again at all. I know that as problems go it's not up there; but it's a teeny bit galling.

I'm also in a state of confusion. I have a note of a 'Heritage' programme in the Linbury with BRB 14-19 May 2020. Is it not now happening or are my dates wrong? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluebird said:

If they are, there's a mistake on the website as, on my computer, the same Part 1 cast shows up for each performance at the moment.  Only Parts 2 and 3 are TBA.

Strange! I've just refreshed again and 7, 21, 26 and 30 May are showing as TBA for all three parts.

3 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Strange! I've just refreshed again and 7, 21, 26 and 30 May are showing as TBA for all three parts.

Interesting!  When I last posted, I checked each date carefully and  the same cast was shown for every date.  When I check the website now, it's showing TBA for the dates you mention.   They clearly made a mistake when they first put the casting up and they've now corrected it.

It's too late for me to modify my post above.  I'd be grateful if a moderator could add this information.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

I'm intrigued by the prospect of the Prodigal Son choreography now we know it's cast with men who would normally be considered too short for those particular women (though I know McRae and Osipova have worked together before).

The point is that the woman dominates the man in this ballet so the 'match ups' are deliberate!!!!

But I am somewhat disappointed by the absence of what to me were 'obvious' male leads! Next time, maybe........!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

I'm in a quandary because I'd love to see all the Prodigal Son casts (esp Sambé/Heap and Campbell/Calvert), but have no wish to see the other two works again at all. I know that as problems go it's not up there; but it's a teeny bit galling.

I've not seen the other two pieces before but I remember the reviews & production pics from when they were new & don't really want to see them even once. Given the prices are, by ROH standards, pretty low I'm considering just turning up for the Prodigal Son! I'd really like to see Campbell & Calvert together so will be going for one of their performances.

ETA: While the triple bill is listed with Prodigal Son in the middle, the paragraph describing the pieces indicates that it'll be the last of the three. Can anyone who saw them previously remember how long Live Fire Exercise & Corybantic Games were? I'm wondering if they would be long enough combined that I could see a short show elsewhere & turn up at the ROH at say 9.30pm for just Prodigal Son!

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I've not seen the other two pieces before but I remember the reviews & production pics from when they were new & don't really want to see them even once.

Why not give them at least a try Dawnstar? Reviews are only someone else's personal opinions, and a picture,  or even a film, doesn't necessarily give a true indication of the live performance.

• Like 6

Thanks bluebird for notifying us. 

Slightly surprised to see McRae being cast for the Prodigal Son - this sounds very hopeful considering the comments that his injury was quite serious.

(If it turns out to be true it’s of course great he would recover so quickly but I feel that this casting is likely going to change, although if he can dance it I’ll be very impressed!) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Why not give them at least a try Dawnstar? Reviews are only someone else's personal opinions, and a picture,  or even a film, doesn't necessarily give a true indication of the live performance.

I agree - you don’t know till you’ve tried it! The worst you lose is time - which unless you have something else planned you would have waited around anyway. 

Worst case scenario if you hate it that much just close your eyes and put earplugs in? Or sometimes the music alone you might like! 

At least then you’ve seen it and you know you don’t like it, and plus you can pick out things you particularly didn’t like so you can avoid similar things in future? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bridiem said:

I'm also in a state of confusion. I have a note of a 'Heritage' programme in the Linbury with BRB 14-19 May 2020. Is it not now happening or are my dates wrong? 

Sorry for the double post but I would also be curious about this. 

A lot of the Linbury programmes do already seem to have been scheduled and appear on the website (one in June and one in July) so I’m not sure why the delay here. I presume if it is happening it will hopefully appear on the website soon - surely it has to by mid November to facilitate priority booking for friends? (General booking isn’t until January though!)

11 hours ago, JNC said:

Worst case scenario if you hate it that much just close your eyes and put earplugs in? Or sometimes the music alone you might like!

That is a possibility, as I've just looked up the music for both pieces & they sound reasonably listenable. I did wonder about the Tippett, having really disliked King Priam when I saw it a few years ago, but the Fantasia Concertante on a theme of Corelli sounds less brash. If only Wayne McGregor didn't have his dancers make shapes that I find so ugly. 

21 hours ago, bridiem said:

Maybe they haven't yet finalised the events?  If it is going to happen, I imagine it will be included in the Summer Season.  All being well,  they'll announce the details then.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 16:33, bridiem said:

Having checked with probably the best source there is, the heritage programme is still happening.  BRB are doing Dante Sonata and the rest of the programme will be announced in due course.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...