Tring Park Sixth Form Classical Ballet question

Soltova

I am wondering if there are any families whose children are training classical ballet at Tring in the sixth form? Due to quite special circumstances, Tring Park is inviting my daughter to audition into the sixth form of dance for January admission (she is 16, so would be starting halfway through the first year). We are moving from the US to Europe and my daughter really wants to have a classical ballet career. I know that many talented dancers leave Tring to other programs in upper school (such as ENB or Royal), so I am anxious to find out if Tring's classical ballet program (assuming she is selected into it) would still be a good place for someone who is serious about wanting to be a professional ballerina. I would appreciate any inside knowledge I can get either here or in a PM!

Also, I apologize if my terminology about the UK school system is a bit rudimentary!

There are always dancers from Tring 6th form who go on to join Classical companies.  Yes there has historically been a number of dancers leave after 16 to join ENB, Central, Bolshoi Academy and other institutions instead of going into Tring's own 6th form.  However, this is often offset by a number of students coming from White Lodge or Elmhurst to join 6th form.  Earlier this year the Director of Dance was replaced.  (You could do a search to find out more about what happened).  The current interim co-directors are both wonderful teachers with a very nuturing approach.

• Like 1

We do not have any personal experience of sixth form which is what you are looking for - only lower school - happy experience! Even someone who is training at Tring may not be able to give you the whole picture as it is comparisons of training between the establishments and most importantly the hours of classical training, including pointe work, partnering work, repertoire, Character, Pilates, conditioning etc. Also, need to take into consideration the gym and physio facilities - how do they compare? Obviously Tring rates highly in the contemporary sphere which is so important nowadays even for classical dancers, but the number of hours given to other fields of dance will possibly  take away from the hours of  intensive classical training she would need. Our own experience was that lessons were great until showtimes/ Christmas celebrations etc, when classes became haphazard and pointework completely disappeared from the timetable for weeks on end. Character never featured in the first place. However, as the previous poster mentioned, there are dancers from Tring who have made it straight to classical companies (we personally know one who went to BRB) and if your daughter has the talent and determination then I would imagine she will be given every opportunity.

Why not ask the school for a timetable? This will give you an idea?

Thank you Pas de Quatre and Valentina. This is all very helpful and asking for a time table is a good idea. It turns out that just as I had gone ahead with the application and paid the fee they contacted me and said that there were no places in the boarding for the Spring. So now we are even less sure about what to do...🙄