World Ballet Day Live - live and recorded

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolshoi is amazing.  This is what I tune in to World Ballet for.  Just for one day in a year I can see something that normally I would have to come to London for.  Its a terrific idea.  I just don't want it going down the usual BBC route of public participating in everything.  I know its good to make out that it is so wonderful watching amateurs but there is a time and a place.

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

It’s so we can get up and put the kettle on without missing anything good 

I think this is something good.  Most of us don't get to see physically impaired/challenged people doing ballet class, and I for one am very pleased to know these things are going on, and in the ROH, too.  Good for the RB.

• Like 10

Agree, the message that ballet is for everyone and a life-enhancing thing for all is a good one.

This was a lot more interesting and worthwhile than random snippets of themselves jumping etc sent in by members of the public  that we have had before.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mary said:

Agree, the message that ballet is for everyone and a life-enhancing thing for all is a good one.

This was a lot more interesting and worthwhile than random snippets of themselves jumping etc sent in by members of the public  that we have had before.

Fortunately I managed to miss those!  I seem to remember BBC Two during Wimbledon inviting people to send in films of them playing tennis.  Seems everything is for everyone these days.  Its nice that people find it inspirational.  In a different setting at a different time, so would I.  But this, IMHO, should be this once in a year opportunity to see the top dancers of the world rehearsing.  What a privilege and THAT is what I tune in for.   

• Like 1

Fumi Kaneko- what a lovely dancer. She did well in that rehearsal- couldn't find anything much harder to rehearse in front of whole world - well done! and such a beautiful Concerto rehearsal...Yasmine Naghdi looking on top form. Now the priceless Christopher Carr.

Really the out-reach section was v small. This is a fabulous insight into the RB behind the scenes- a great great treat.

(No chance of getting the shed painted today.)

• Like 11

As ever I thought the RB's contribution to the Day was fascinating. I am pleased that it happened to coincide with a day off work so I was able to watch much of it live! I can now catch up and watch the bits I missed whilst clearing the garden!

4 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Really wonderful to see Alfreda Thorogood coaching and how beautiful to bring the differing dance generations together. Really inspirational 

In many ways this was my favourite part of a very enjoyable mix of rehearsals. The idea of handing on the torch is embedded in the company and I can’t think of a better way of this being demonstrated with the various generations. How lovely to see Alfreda Thorogood - I haven’t been aware of her being involved in coaching roles before, is this something she does regularly? I found her comments warm and encouraging. And then to hear Yasmine Naghdi recognising she was part of a process that she herself had benefited from ten years previously was so lovely to witness. It made me think the company is in a good state for the future.

On another point, having suggested BRB was accessible as part of the live streaming, I didn’t find it so. Last year I seem to recall it was part of the overall presentation from the Opera House. I hope it is posted on YouTube at some point soon.

• Like 2

I only managed to get the BRB in a succession of short videos rather than one stream (this was watching live earlier). To be honest, apart from a couple of brief Swan Lake clips, I didn't find their content that interesting.

Apart from the RB, who were unsurprisingly very good, I also really enjoyed seeing ENB's rehearsal, especially as it featured the cast I would have liked to see in Cinderella if only I was nearer Southampton.

A really enjoyable day - and theres still loads to catch up with over the next few days.  It was so good to see Alfreda Thorogood and Leanne Benjamin coaching in the RB’s livestream.  I was impressed with Liam Boswell (Aud Jebsen Young Dancer programme 2019) in the RB’s company class and he must be one to watch.  I thought the RB’s company class looked a bit cramped in the studio compared to other companies, who seemed to have vast, spacious studios. 

It was also interesting to see Maria Allash (former Bolshoi principal) taking a class with some of the Bolshoi’s women - including Olga Smirnova.  She had a quiet, gentle teaching manner with a class comprising of some simple, yet requiring a classical ‘back-to-basics’precision, enchâinements - all beautifully danced by the dancers and Smirnova shines in a class of her own.

I haven’t yet viewed many of the other companies as yet - there’s just so much to see! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Springbourne3 said:

I thought the RB’s company class looked a bit cramped in the studio compared to other companies, who seemed to have vast, spacious studios. 

The Royal Ballet uses 3 studios, I believe. It’s just that so many dancers choose to join the Class which is being relayed.

• Like 1

I did notice a young dancer who I'd not seen before ....he was wearing a head band scarf and had a white t shirt and pale tights ...not sure of colour either pale grey or beige slightly curlyish hair. 

Also couldn't help noticing Harrison Lee's lovely lines but haven't seen the jumps at the end of the class yet and am sure didn't see Corrales there. 

I did find it irritating ...as was watching on phone for the first time....that all these comments kept coming up on the left hand of the screen which I found disrupted the view sometimes....I didn't know whether you could turn these off but I didn't know how to anyway! 

Although some were quite amusing " There's Nuela ....with lots of hearts Don't know who this person was seeing but Marienuela was in Italy!!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Springbourne3 said:

Smirnova shines in a class of her own.

Shipulina complained in an instagram post that she and other primas were not invited to film, so that's the reason Smirnova was in a class of her own.  Krysanova had some time in a different segment, but that was about it. Very disappointing for those of us who had hoped to see an Akimov class full of principals as we did in the 2014 World Ballet Day!

• Like 2

Isn't it all fab....got home from my long day walking to find 4 hours of Royal Ballet to enjoy, I've had a quick sample of various parts and look forward to watching it all over the next few days :)

• Like 3

And does any body know who was standing next to Olivia Cowley at the barre. At that point was wearing mostly all black ....track suit with a lilacy bit in the middle....her leotard I think and black bolero and very dark hair.

Later on she had a more flowery longish wrap skirt on with Lilac leotard shading lighter at the top.