Viviana Durante / Barbican: Isadora Duncan programme Feb 2020

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Interesting, thank you, Lizbie.  I assume it's in The Pit again, although it doesn't actually say.

Yes it does - it isn't in the Pit, but the Barbican Theatre.  Which should mean fewer sightline problems than the MacMillan thing!

• 3 months later...

I just spoke to the Barbican box office who told me it has been officially announced that Viviana Durante is not dancing tonight, Saturday, despite what it still says online:--

>>the challenging Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan by Frederick Ashton, performed here by the legendary ballerina Viviana Durante in her first solo appearance for a decade

They are offering to swop tickets for other evenings in the run, as they have not been told she will not be dancing the other performances.

Wishing the wonderful Ms Durante all the very best and a swift return to the show.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 19:11, Geoff said:

And how was the show? No one has posted or reviewed anywhere that I can find.

Quick response to my own question, on the way back from tonight’s performance at the Barbican, cheered to the rafters by a (mostly) young crowd.

First half: Isadora Duncan’s Dance of the Furies and Ashton’s Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan. Fascinating that the great artist Viviana Durante has taken on perhaps the currently least fashionable dance style (or at least the one it is maybe most easy to make fun of) and has mounted this show to ask us to reconsider and reevaluate. Well worth seeing. 

Second half: a new work by Joy Alpuerto Ritter, with the influence of Isadora Duncan clearly seen, not only in the bare feet of the all-female cast. One can still catch this most instructive show before it closes on the 29th. 

• Like 2

I haven't seen any public reviews yet, but most of the audience the night I was there seemed highly appreciative of the whole thing, and I've seen a lot of positive comments privately online.  I didn't want to comment publicly because I couldn't find anyone selling programmes, so didn't know who and what to credit.  I did find that the new piece rather outstayed its welcome, though :) 

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 19:11, Geoff said:

And how was the show? No one has posted or reviewed anywhere that I can find.

Plenty of reviews now in today's Links, so I guess the press night must have been at the beginning of this week.

15 hours ago, alison said:

Plenty of reviews now in today's Links, so I guess the press night must have been at the beginning of this week.

Press night was Tuesday. I was sitting next to a journalist who was scribbling away in the dark!

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 11:00, Geoff said:

I just spoke to the Barbican box office who told me it has been officially announced that Viviana Durante is not dancing tonight, Saturday, despite what it still says online:--

Looking at the Dance Tabs photo gallery, as I've just done, I notice that Durante had her leg taped even during the photoshoot, so I guess that's what the cause was, given that she said her leg was causing her problems.