Which cast to see in Onegin

Just to say the casting details are currently very confusing on the summary web page (where three of the main roles are shown but not necessarily including Tatiana and Onegin) and you need to click the plus/more button for each date to see the five main roles.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/onegin-by-john-cranko-dates

The Osipova cast would be my first choice but I would also very much want to see the Naghdi cast - her Tatiana debut and also debuts for Anna Rose O’Sullivan/Joseph Sissens with Federico Bonelli and Bennet Gartside who are fabulous as Onegin and Gremin.

• Like 5

I have seen Osipova, Nunez and Cuthbertson as Tatiana. 

My first choice cast without any doubt is Frederico Bonelli as Onegin (possibly his last Onegin?) partnering Yasmine Naghdi as Tatiana (her debut) with Anna-Rose O'Sullivan as Olga (debut) and Joseph Sissens as Lensky (debut). Bennet Gartside is truly brilliant and moving as Prince Gremin. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

My first choice cast without any doubt is Frederico Bonelli as Onegin (possibly his last Onegin?) partnering Yasmine Naghdi as Tatiana (her debut) with Anna-Rose O'Sullivan as Olga (debut) and Joseph Sissens as Lensky (debut). Bennet Gartside is truly brilliant and moving as Prince Gremin. 

Although the casts all have something to give, I agree that if I could only see one, this would be it.  Bonelli is wonderful as Onegin, and he and Naghdi danced beautifully together in Swan Lake.  O'Sullivan and Sissens should be wonderful, too.  And Bennet Gartside almost made me cry as Gremin;  such a small role but he really did make the most of it, therefore making us understand one of the reasons why Tatiana doesn't capitulate to Onegin. 

• Like 3

I use this list from ROH website to help choose:

Saturday 18 January at 1.30pm
Cuthbertson*, Soares#, Hinkis, Donnelly*, Mock*

(Tatiana, Onegin, Olga, Lensky, Prince Gremin)

Saturday 18 January at 7pm
Osipova, Muntagirov*, Hayward*, Ball, Avis

Tuesday 21 January at 7.30pm
Nuñez, Hirano*, Takada, Edmonds, Clarke*

Friday 24 January at 7.30pm
Naghdi*, Bonelli, O’Sullivan*, Sissens*, Gartside

Friday 7 February at 7.30pm
Osipova, Muntagirov, Hayward, Ball, Avis

Saturday 8 February at 7.30pm
Nuñez, Hirano, Takada, Edmonds, Clarke

Wednesday 12 February at 7.30pm
Osipova, Muntagirov, Hayward, Ball, Avis

Friday 21 February at 7.30pm
Naghdi, Bonelli, O’Sullivan, Sissens, Gartside

Saturday 22 February at 7pm
Cuthbertson, Soares, Hinkis, Donnelly, Mock

Monday 24 February at 7.30pm
Naghdi, Bonelli, O’Sullivan, Sissens, Gartside

Thursday 27 February at 7.30pm
Nuñez, Hirano, Takada, Edmonds, Clarke

Saturday 29 February at 7.30pm
Cuthbertson, Soares, Hinkis, Donnelly, Mock

Lots of debuts *

Edited by FionaE
Better format

1 hour ago, Xandra Newman said:

Cuthbertson has never done it, has she...?  She was cast in the last run in 2015, but was recovering from her Manon injury and was replaced by Mendizabal.

• Like 2

For me first choice would have to be Osipova/Muntagirov. Not only do you have the excitement of Muntagirov's debut in the role (which for me at least promises to be one of the ballet events of the year) following on from his amazing Lensky but you also have the added attractions of Hayward/Ball as Lensky and Olga. What more could anyone want?! I just hope Matthew isn't too tall for Francesca as he must be at least a foot taller. Wasn't there a bit of a height issue when she danced it with Golding? Anyway I'm confident it will be an amazing, possibly definitive performance.

Having said that Naghdi/Bonelli must run it close, especially with Joseph Sissons as Lensky, probably his most prominent role yet and partnering Anna Rose O'Sullivan who I can imagine to be a really perfect Olga. I intend to go to both casts but if I had to choose it would have to be  Muntagirov/Osipova. However, given the RB perform this splendid ballet so seldom I really would urge FionaE to attend both casts. It is criminal neither is being filmed. I'm only hoping when Reid Anderson sees the amazing dance/acting I'm sure both casts will produce he will relent and let the RB film it at its next run. Clutching at straws I know but it's all the hope I've got.

• Like 9

I would agree with the other posts so far! 

I’m going to see Osipova/Muntagirov/Hayward/Ball as well as the Naghdi/Bonelli/O Sullivan/Sissens cast. (Although I haven’t booked yet...!!) I think both of these casts have no ‘weak links’ - sorry that is perhaps cruel to say but these 2 casts are very strong individually and in combination, compared to some of the other casts where there is one or two I’m not sure about (both as a personal preference and if they suit the role, as well as if the combination of the partnering is my taste). 

I would struggle to only pick one of these two casts but perhaps lean slightly towards the Osipova mix as I think that will be the one with a lot of emotion (ie with perhaps the slight exception of Muntagirov all have proved to be excellent MacMillan dancers so can do the ‘drama’) and I think the pairings of the four work equally well all 4 ways. 

I think the Naghdi cast will be very strong also so it’s a very close call - but I haven’t seen Bonelli or Sissens yet so perhaps that’s why I would lean more towards the Osipova cast, where I have a guaranteed good night out. I also think the Naghdi cast seems the more ‘intellectual’ cast (no less emotional but perhaps more internal sadness rather than a dramatic outburst of emotion) but this is just pure speculation on my part! 

I haven’t seen Onegin before so I can’t comment further, and perhaps I’m unhelpful in this regard. I would go with what dancers you think you would prefer - I think both of these casts will be incredible and so other than that it’s personal preference and that bit of luck/magic on the actual night! 

And if you think would prefer to see Nuñez, Cuthbertson, Hirano, or Soares, ignore me and go for that. Who knows when/if Onegin will return and so it could the last performance for these dancers. I imagine it would certainly be Soares last performance. I think it’s a shame he’s not dancing with Nuñez as I know their partnership had positive reviews last time so I would have liked to see them together, but I believe they have divorced since then so perhaps that has changed things, or perhaps it’s simply O’Hare mixing things up (which I think is good!). Shame that Morera isn’t dancing also. I also think Takada will be very good in this (from what was commented last time) and is highly likely to do Tatiana in future (slightly surprised she’s not doing it this time to be honest but I guess only so many debuts etc) so this may perhaps be the last chance to see her as Olga. 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 1

I’m with you jmhopton! Am keen to see Muntagirov in this in particular role and have no doubt Osipova will be fine plus the Hayward/Ball sealed  it for me! 
Im hoping for 12th February as main ticket but hoping to get a standing for the Sissens cast as great to see him debut too ....might even give in and go for another ticket nearer the time!! 
Of course have to wait till 24th ...and other progs to book then as well 

• Like 1

Just to warn, from a ticket-booking perspective, that currently the Osipova/Muntagirov performances are showing very little availability in the stalls or stalls circle. Even on the first day of Friends booking I had to settle for a worse side stalls circle seat than I would have liked because that's all that was left in that area. So unless the ROH has held back any stalls or stalls circle seats for public booking then anyone wanting to see this cast & to sit fairly close will probably be disappointed. The other casts are all showing a lot better ticket availability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

I also think Takada will be very good in this (from what was commented last time)

Yes she seems to have had good reviews for both her 2013 and 2015 performances as Olga.

But I am biased - I will always pick a cast that has Takada in it!  And I will be very interested to see her with Edmonds, as  I also like him very much - as well as Nunez and Hirano. 

I am also looking forward to the Naghdi, Bonelli, O’Sullivan, Sissens cast, and that of Osipova, Muntagirov, Hayward, and Ball.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Just to warn, from a ticket-booking perspective, that currently the Osipova/Muntagirov performances are showing very little availability in the stalls or stalls circle. Even on the first day of Friends booking I had to settle for a worse side stalls circle seat than I would have liked because that's all that was left in that area. So unless the ROH has held back any stalls or stalls circle seats for public booking then anyone wanting to see this cast & to sit fairly close will probably be disappointed. The other casts are all showing a lot better ticket availability.

Thanks Dawnstar, very useful to know for planning purposes. (Although this is personally out of my price range but I’m sure it will be helpful for others.) 

Not to sound too bitter but any hopes of ROH holding anything back for general booking day has been thoroughly extinguished....(sorry low blow but I couldn’t resist...will be more civil in future!) 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Just to say the casting details are currently very confusing on the summary web page (where three of the main roles are shown but not necessarily including Tatiana and Onegin) and you need to click the plus/more button for each date to see the five main roles.

I've emailed Customer Services about the poor information given for Onegin and also for the triple bill. They have replied that my comments will be passed on to the Royal Ballet Company and their IT dept. The information is so poor its 'laughable.

To go back to Onegin. My choice is Bonelli and without detracting from Naghdi, who I am sure will be excellent, wish Morera had been with him. But lovely to see Sissens and O'Sullivan - it has the makings of a great cast. I've seen Soares as Onegin, can't quite see Muntagirov as Onegin and am not a fan of Osipova, so am seeing the Bonelli cast twice.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

For me first choice would have to be Osipova/Muntagirov. Not only do you have the excitement of Muntagirov's debut in the role (which for me at least promises to be one of the ballet events of the year) following on from his amazing Lensky but you also have the added attractions of Hayward/Ball as Lensky and Olga.

What more could anyone want?!

Gartside as Gremin, please!

I will be perfectly happy with Gary Avis, of course, but the Act 2 duet I saw between Osipova and Gartside during the last run is a good candidate for the most achingly beautiful thing I've seen at the ROH. 

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/gallery/2015/jan/27/natalia-osipova-in-onegin-royal-ballet-matthew-golding-in-pictures#img-4

• Like 3

The casting for Gremin seems to be oddly varied, being equally spilt between 2 character artists & 2 much younger soloists. The only other role I can think of where I've seen such a wide age range of 20+ years is Tybalt. I confess that I'd rather see both Clarke & Mock as Lensky than a couple of the dancers who have been cast in the role.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The casting for Gremin seems to be oddly varied, being equally spilt between 2 character artists & 2 much younger soloists. The only other role I can think of where I've seen such a wide age range of 20+ years is Tybalt. I confess that I'd rather see both Clarke & Mock as Lensky than a couple of the dancers who have been cast in the role.

I noticed this too. I think Clarke particularly strikes me as a rather odd Gremin due to the fact he looks quite youthful (not a bad thing!) - and not to be rude but especially cast against Nuñez/Hirano as isn’t Gremin meant to be much older? - I’m sure he’ll do a good job but I think he’d be much better suited for Lensky and I would have had Hirano as Gremin in this casting to swap with Clarke! 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, JNC said:

Thanks Dawnstar, very useful to know for planning purposes. (Although this is personally out of my price range but I’m sure it will be helpful for others.) 

Not to sound too bitter but any hopes of ROH holding anything back for general booking day has been thoroughly extinguished....(sorry low blow but I couldn’t resist...will be more civil in future!) 

I've found with Osipova performances in the past that they're all sold out before general booking and then miraculously a couple of weeks later whole swathes of good seats appear. It's all very mysterious to me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, alison said:

Do you mean Act 3?

Yes - thanks!  In searching round for a picture-link to illustrate, and despite reading their online paper for years, I foolishly took the Grauniad's 'Act 2' caption at face value!! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

In case it's not just me who hadn't known/registered this: it says in the current edition of Dancing Times that 'Thiago Soares will give his farewell performance with the Royal Ballet in the title role of John Cranko's Onegin on February 29, 2020.' (I knew he was retiring, of course, but not that this was definitely his last performance.)

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Not sure whether he's actually retiring, but yes, it'll be his last performance with the RB.

Well it says he's moving into 'choreography, teaching, directing and linking dance with other art forms'. So he's clearly not exactly going to be inactive!

Just now, Don Q Fan said:

Even with that screaming woman in the audience!!  That is one show I'll not forget!

Neither will I!  Laura was very upset by it, but being the pros that they are they continued to the end of their PDD without a blip or a hitch.  Amazing.  

• Like 1