RIP Alicia Alonso

I read about her in a little book of famous dancers I was given as a child, over 50 years ago - and the book wasn’t new then! When I visited Havana with my daughter in 2011 we went to a performance of the Nutcracker and everyone in the audience  stood and clapped when she took her place in the auditorium. She was a great legend of ballet for sure. 

• Like 5

I first saw Alonso dance in Giselle in her 60's aside the glorious Jorge Esquivel.  I remember it as being a life enriching event.  That memory lives in both my heart and mind's eye even now.  I can see it.  I can taste it.  It is visceral.  I also vividly remember the glory of her wit years later at Nora Kaye's memorial service where she had the capacity City Center audience in stitches with the warmth of her memories.  She was radiant.  

There is no question but that this is a life that deserves to be hugely celebrated.  

RIP.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

Very sorry to hear of Alicia's passing. RIP.

I remember singing Happy Birthday to her once at ROH a few years ago when she was in the Royal Box - I cant remember what the ballet occasion was or why she was there - anyone else remember?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

Very sorry to hear of Alicia's passing. RIP.

I remember singing Happy Birthday to her once at ROH a few years ago when she was in the Royal Box - I cant remember what the ballet occasion was or why she was there - anyone else remember?

If you can find today's World at One interview on BBC Sound I think Monica Mason mentioned this occasion.

• Like 2

Really a great loss for dance world, leaves us a great legacy ..., your  contributions to dance, your dedication and professionalism will be remembered for many generations! 

Como triste es ver un adios a una grande MAESTRA ALICIA...Descansa en Paz ⚘

• Like 2

I saw  ballet for the first time in my life in Cuba in 60s, it's quite possible that it was one with Alicia Alonso in leading part, the only reminder of the performance is my own drawing ( and I was 5-6 years at that time), so it looks like it made quite an impression on me. Then I took my kids to the ballet in Cuba - and it was superb, though again I don't remember exactly if Alicia was dancing.

What I do remember is her appearance on the stage after "Don Quichote" performance for some years ago in Paris - what a noble and great lady - even if she needed assistance to come to the stage!

Thank you, Alicia, for everything you've done for the ballet in general and for Cuban ballet as well and particularly for me: my love for the ballet comes from that first performance in 60s, in GranTeatro de La Habana!

• Like 4

I second the appreciation for that clip. Not too many of the "ballet greats" of my childhood (seasoned ballet stars in the 60s) left. Carla Fracci may be "the last of the mohicans"? Also, Marcia Haydee, now in Chile.

Edited by Jeannette

On 17/10/2019 at 19:34, AnneL said:

I read about her in a little book of famous dancers I was given as a child, over 50 years ago - and the book wasn’t new then! When I visited Havana with my daughter in 2011 we went to a performance of the Nutcracker and everyone in the audience  stood and clapped when she took her place in the auditorium. She was a great legend of ballet for sure. 

Further to AnneL’s post, I was actually unaware of how much she’d accomplished at the moment she walked into that auditorium back in 2011 but will never forget that moment! The awe and respect in that room for her was quite something. Happy to say that I was swiftly filled in on some essential ballet history.

On 18/10/2019 at 15:16, Richard LH said:

On the World at One this lunchtime, Mark Mardell  did  a lovely interview about her with  Dame Monica Mason. I found it very moving. 

Thanks for mentioning this. I listened to it on the BBC app.