Sign in to follow this  
penelopesimpson

Fun and Games with ROH Package Booking

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

'What kind of House those patrons want – and will have to be given – is anyone’s guess, but it’s more likely to be Carmen, Bohème and Swan Lake than Gawain, the cancelled Le Grand Macabre or new choreography by William Forsythe or Twyla Tharp.'

That's a bit unfair, or perhaps out of date - in my experience Friends are more likely to show up for the rarities and novelties than the general public.

• Like 6

I suspect that there are even more than 19,000 friends in 2019 which would explain why tickets to some shows are rarer than hens teeth. 

Please don't let us fall into the trap of 'dissing' Friends again. Companies are very reliant on them and they need to be given some incentives.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I've just been reading an article in the London Review of Books by Patrick Carnegy, published back in the year 2000.  He writes:
'Moreover, it seems that there may be times when as few as 20 per cent of the seats will be available for public booking, the rest being reserved for the 19,000-strong ‘Friends’ (subscription £55) and the wealthy patrons. What kind of House those patrons want – and will have to be given – is anyone’s guess, but it’s more likely to be Carmen, Bohème and Swan Lake than Gawain, the cancelled Le Grand Macabre or new choreography by William Forsythe or Twyla Tharp.'

P
lus ça change and all that....

Twenty percent would be a luxury!  I’d even settle for ten percent.

i don’t think anyone is dissing Friends.  They are clearly invaluable and I quite agree that the incentives to become a Friend must be attractive.  However, when Friends are, apparently, allocated ALL the seats to particular performances, then people are going to squeak.  More than a month on, still can’t understand the rationale behind this own goal.

• Like 1

I understand where you're coming from and a return to a limit of x tickets per production might ease the situation. On the other hand, the ROH certainly needed some of us (Friends included) to attend multiple performances of Manon recently.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Twenty percent would be a luxury!  I’d even settle for ten percent.

i don’t think anyone is dissing Friends.  They are clearly invaluable and I quite agree that the incentives to become a Friend must be attractive.  However, when Friends are, apparently, allocated ALL the seats to particular performances, then people are going to squeak.  More than a month on, still can’t understand the rationale behind this own goal.

The thing is, though, people in general are not squeaking.  One month on from the Fidelio issues and everyone (apart from one or two) has completely forgotten.  A handful of people and a couple of newspaper articles will not cause anything to change.

8 hours ago, capybara said:

I understand where you're coming from and a return to a limit of x tickets per production might ease the situation. On the other hand, the ROH certainly needed some of us (Friends included) to attend multiple performances of Manon recently.

And I did, even though I’m not a Friend.

8 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

The thing is, though, people in general are not squeaking.  One month on from the Fidelio issues and everyone (apart from one or two) has completely forgotten.  A handful of people and a couple of newspaper articles will not cause anything to change.

Ah, so you would like to believe it’s just me, would you?  Perhaps I should suggest you read the entire thread or the extensive media coverage that resulted.
I have never been a defeatist and if something reeks of fish (even if it is turbot rather than coley),I will call it out.  The issue is most certainly not forgotten and I will revive it with the media and other interested parties every time it happens until we get clarity.  I gave up forelock tugging many years ago and continue to expect that those in  positions of power behave with honesty and integrity.

• Like 2

An update.

As a ticket holder for the first night of Fidelio, I’ve received A special invitation from ROH today to join an intimate dinner in the Floral Hall post Fidelio.  Tickets, which will include a pre-performance reception in the Crush Room, are only £2000!  For a further sum, I can purchase extra tickets to the performance which are available in all areas except Ampi and Balcony.  The cost is eye watering.

Well, now we know where the tickets are.  I have no problem with initiatives of this sort which I’m sure are vital to funding and I hope that wealthy patrons will snap them up. Just can’t see why they couldn’t have been clear early on.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

An update.

As a ticket holder for the first night of Fidelio, I’ve received A special invitation from ROH today to join an intimate dinner in the Floral Hall post Fidelio.  Tickets, which will include a pre-performance reception in the Crush Room, are only £2000!  For a further sum, I can purchase extra tickets to the performance which are available in all areas except Ampi and Balcony.  The cost is eye watering.

Well, now we know where the tickets are.  I have no problem with initiatives of this sort which I’m sure are vital to funding and I hope that wealthy patrons will snap them up. Just can’t see why they couldn’t have been clear early on.  

I have no objection to the reception and dinner, of course - the more people able/willing to support something like this the better. It's the extra tickets for an allegedly sold out production to which I do object (especially given lack of 'clarity' in respect of previous information given out).

(And the fact that they've unwittingly sent this to you, penelopesimpson, is really quite funny!!).

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 7

If I win the lottery I’ll take a table (only £9000) and invite you and anyone else who supported my call for clarity!

PS:  Don’t buy your outfit just yet because I don’t do the lottery!

• Like 3