Christmas present ideas for dancers

taxi4ballet

If you can afford it, I think one of the best ballet presents you can buy is to actually take them to the theater to watch a live ballet performance.

I too have booked tickets for Scottish ballet's the nutcracker for January - always nice to have something to look forward to once the excitement of Christmas is over :-)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've booked tickets for Northern ballet's nutcracker, which should be extra special as littlest dd, who's 6, is one of the mice. I wonder if we'll be able to tell which one!

Enjoy - DD performed with them a few years back and absolutely loved it.

Millie

• 1 year later...

One of the dancers at Northern Ballet, Olivia Holland, is a talented artist.  You can already buy her cards at Northern Ballet's HQ and now she is starting to sell through an online company - etsy.

Here is the link:  https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OliviaHollandArts

I see that as well as the cards you can buy original watercolours and can also commission Olivia.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I love tins and I discovered Steam Cream last year.  It is a lightweight cream that you can use on your face or as a body lotion.  There is a wide range of tins and this is a new design I was emailed about this morning.

https://www.steamcream.co.uk/les-sylphides

There is currently an offer on of 2 tins for £20 or 3 for £28. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

tutucute22 - your post reminded me of going to see a friend of mine in Nutcracker.  She knew we were coming and tied a knot in her tail, so that we would know which mouse she was!  She said she got really told off, but it was worth it!!!!  The funny thing is that we met up recently after many years of each wondering what had happend to the other (thank you Facebook) and we both remembered that performance!

The RAD has quite a few nice Christmassy presents in their online shop.  I bought my Great Nieces Nutcracker dolls and they loved them.

The title of this thread caught my eye because it has recently been discussed in this home! I have a new response to my darling dd whenever she asks for anything unnecessary.... and it is "50K"  which would be 30k in UK. 

"Mommy can we stop for a Frappuccino?"

me - "50k"

"Mommy will you order me a Yumiko bodysuit for Christmas?"

me - "50K"

It is the year of reckoning which means auditioning for final year training at European schools which means an audition tour, flight, hotels etc plus whatever that tuition for one year may be..... so Christmas this year is airfare. Maybe a book or two and a few stocking stuffers :)

• Like 2

There was a beautiful new book called something like Ballet Spectacular on sale at the Royal Opera House today. It is suitable for children up to about 14 and is a general introduction to the world of ballet. It has lots of photographs of current and former RB dancers in it. I think that it cost £14.99. I assume that you could order it online from the ROH.

• 1 month later...

There is a great book (and now they have a wall calendar too) called 'dancers among us' by jordan matter. photos of dancers in normal everyday environments but looking extraordinary. It's not too expensive given it's a glossy picture book (£15 I think). Really beautiful (look at the amazon reviews).

DS is also getting new Bloch warm up booties and new fitflop boots (his last ones are getting worn out after almost 3 years of constant wear but worth every penny for the reduction in sore feet and legs when tramping the streets of Washington!)

• Like 1

I prefer to do a gift baskets rather than special gift. I get lots of ballet themed small things of the net or ballet shops (i.e. ballet socks, CD's, hair pins, ballet tights, book, dance accessories like ribbons, personalized bottle, small diary to keep her notes, dance warm ups, leg warmers perfume..etc.) organize it nicely into lovely basket wrap it all up into cello bag add big ribbon bow on top and ...voila.

Good idea for some would be perhaps subscription to dance magazine or you can’t go wrong with theater tickets.

Edited by FlexyNexy
  • Like 1

movedancewear has some lovely gifts but I echo what Sheila said, JB have some fab stuff. Oh if only I had the money :P

I've told my mom and all that I would love more tights and leg warmers because blimey they are expensive. Last year she got me a leotard, a RAD based one and she ended up buying me one two sizes too small, thankfully now it's just a little bit small now that I'm thinner but she won't be making that same mistake again XD

I have a thing for legwarmers and I go through tights really quickly, so far I've already ruined four pairs since September (had 9 classes so far)

For ideas for other DS and DD, if you're stuck just get them things that need. Like if they're on pointe buy them stuff for their shoes or a new pair of the shoes they currently have (if they're definitely staying on them and not wanting to change shoes)

For my birthday (which is literally the week after christmas) my mom is just coming with me to the dance shop over here (the glass slipper) and buying the things for me or just giving me money. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My DD has asked for a pair of Bloch dance warm up boots in purple off her grandma. She's just a size 4 . Could anyone advise me what size would be best as small goes to size 4.5 so I was wondering if this would be big enough or go for the next size up ? Thank you

I have a pair of size m that fit me perfectly, I am a size 5-5.5 xx

Edited by Twiggy
  • Like 1

For folks who have all the popular English ballet books that they want, a nicely illustrated ballet book/DVD/digital download in another language that they know (or are learning in school) can be very welcome. e.g Over the years, The Paris Opera Ballet School has put out beautifully illustrated books about life at their school, sometimes with both English and French translation. In their last anniversary year, they released an interesting video documentary about the school. Some of these are available in the UK.  (I'm hoping to get to the Paris Opera Ballet School demonstrations on 20th-21st December, then on to England on 22nd, so happy to pick up books in France if anyone needs.) For ballet books in England from Amazon, if you can pay by MasterCard, they have a discount code giving you £5 off any order order of £10 or more (with some exclusions). See http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?docId=1000842343

Yaffa

• Like 1