7 hours ago, CathyG said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I went with Amphi seats row D in the central section. I will see about opera glasses and hopefully it will be a first great experience at the ROH!

Hope you really enjoy it, CathyG! Please do post your thoughts afterwards.

• Like 2

I was interested to read another thread in which an Amphitheatre enthusiast (and a BF Poster I assumed was a regular at the ROH) acknowledged a difficulty in discerning and distinguishing dancers from the higher vantage point.

We can all spot Principals from every seat location, and need little assistance distinguishing between them, but the narrative ballets have many relevant roles and part of the pleasure of watching a live performance is to watch old favourites in the non-principal ranks, Gasparini and Pajdak fall into this category, and to spot the new dancers who are likely to make an impression in the future.

I find it next to impossible to take in the bigger picture through opera glasses, where I might miss some aspect outside my direct focus and, of course, it’s easy to miss the facial expressions, acted nuances and epaulements ((amongst other things) having ones eyes glued to opera glasses, way on high. 

By way of a further example, we’ve all seen film or video recordings, in which the camera, and the film editor concentrate on the facial expressions of the principals (believing that that’s what the audience want to see) and generally ignoring feet and the performances of the other ten/twenty dancers on stage.

Anyway, sorry for my ramble but I go (and I advise others to do likewise) as low down and as expensively as I can afford. Of course, I do sit in the Amphitheatre, but only if I can’t get a better seat.

Edited by RobR
  • Like 4

In my view it depends on costumes, eyesight and most of all how far back you are in the Amphitheatre: my eyesight is only so-so - and I never use opera glasses - but as long as dancers aren’t wearing wigs I don’t have much trouble telling the corps members apart from rows A to E of the Amphi.

Further back however it’s a lot more difficult - I guess my point is that I don’t think we can generalise about “the view from the Amphitheatre”.

• Like 3

Borrowing this thread to save starting a new one. Does anyone have an opinion on stalls E31? Has any rake kicked in by that point or will I be spending £58 only to see nothing but the backs of heads for 3 hours?

ETA I decided to get it, as there's nothing else currently available for that performance below balcony level. Fingers crossed...

Edited by Dawnstar

I know some people suggest the rake starts around row E but I notice a shallow rake from A to E which then becomes more pronounced.  Much depends on people in front and there are times when the view can be disappointing.  You could always use a cushion - a number of people do.  Also there’s no one immediately behind you as you’re above the exit with row H the next row for seating. I hope you enjoy the seat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Borrowing this thread to save starting a new one. Does anyone have an opinion on stalls E31? Has any rake kicked in by that point or will I be spending £58 only to see nothing but the backs of heads for 3 hours?

ETA I decided to get it, as there's nothing else currently available for that performance below balcony level. Fingers crossed...

I often choose Row E or F, though usually try to sit on the end of the row. It's not too bad, but definitely get a cushion. I always it on my coat as I'm short.  

• Like 1

I had a great view from E31 yesterday, since I had the considerable luck of there being no-one sitting in seat D30 in front of me!

• Like 1

I have another seating query, if anyone has a good memory. Can anyone remember from the 2006 run (or indeed earlier) of Coppelia if one side or the other of the stalls circle has a better view or if you miss about equal amounts sitting on either side? I want to pick a couple of the cheapest row C side stalls circle tickets & I'm not sure if I'd be better going for one side or the other or if I should split the difference & do one performance left & one performance right!

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I have another seating query, if anyone has a good memory. Can anyone remember from the 2006 run (or indeed earlier) of Coppelia if one side or the other of the stalls circle has a better view or if you miss about equal amounts sitting on either side? I want to pick a couple of the cheapest row C side stalls circle tickets & I'm not sure if I'd be better going for one side or the other or if I should split the difference & do one performance left & one performance right!

I prefer to sit on the left for 'Coppelia,' as you get the better view of Coppelius' balcony in he first act. IMHO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rachel H said:

I prefer to sit on the left for 'Coppelia,' as you get the better view of Coppelius' balcony in he first act. IMHO.

Agreed. Although, when Franz 'addresses' the doll on the balcony, you lose his facial expressions.

As always, it's 'swings and roundabouts'.

• Like 4

Thanks for the advice @Rachel H & @capybara. One of the performances I wanted to book for now only has a single £45 SC ticket still available & that's on the right hand side so I've had to take that one & then have gone for one on the left hand side for the other performance, so at least I'll miss things alternately! Both my other tickets are on the outermost right edge of the stalls so I hope I'll be able to see the balcony from them - attractive as the ROH's proscenium arch is I can't help thinking views would be better without it!

• Like 1