Junior Associate Insight Day

Millicent

Hello, I am new here. My daughter is booked onto the London JA insight day in half term and I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of it that they can share. 

Is it genuinely just a chance to have a go or do they look out for potential talent? I assume you don't get any feedback?

Many thanks! 

My youngest DD did one in Leeds last year. It was run like a JA class (not like an audition which seems quite different). It was full on and very varied with plenty of stuff about how bodies work and how to perform to an audience. I didn't see any feedback being given and the children got "encouragement" more than actual corrections. But you get to watch as a parent which is invaluable for getting a sense of the level your child is dancing at, how their confidence holds up in a big group situation etc.

My DD (in year 4 then) loved it but found it very tiring and I could see her visibly flagging in the last half hour. She decided she didn't want to audition for JAs because she couldn't imagine dancing for that long every week! 

On 05/10/2019 at 12:16, Millicent said:

Thank you that's really helpful. I am definitely looking forward to being able to watch!  I just wondered if they had numbers etc. and if they took notes on the dancers e.g. perhaps who to look out for at auditions. 

No none of that. Too many children and it's literally a class to show them what it's like

We both really enjoyed the insight days and it was red class not audition. No numbers and no panel observation etc. DD did it in one venue in y3 and got SWL for y4. She did it in London in y4, shes now a y5 JA at a different centre. We went to London to give her the experience of dancing in the RBS and it was really special to her. The class is welcoming and encouraging & we definitely thought it was a positive experience. .She absolutely loved it.  As a now new JA mum, I also quite like that I had the experience too because we’ve not observed any classes since they started but I have an idea of what they’re doing. 

• Like 2

My daughter did the Insight day earlier this year, it was part of her Christmas pressie. Parents watch the class too. It was an example of what a JA class would be like. My daughter loved it! She likes technique and learning how to do things meticulously. She went on to audition and is now a Yr5 JA, so pleased she did the insight day as it prepared her for her current classes 😊

My dd went to a JA Insight day in London before deciding to audition for Junior Associates for the first time. She really enjoyed the session and being at the Covent Garden studios was very exciting for both of us! From what I remember, the level of ballet was very simple, they did a lot of skipping around the room, some floor exercises where they looked at their feet, were taught about core and turn-out with the use of stretchy bands round their thighs, and did some very basic barre work. The pianist was very energetic and the girls had to do some free work to the music eg. 'pretend you're a leaf blowing in the wind' or something like that! I don't think the teachers were looking for potential with a view to future auditions, though I noticed they did pay more attention to the talkative girls and those with nice feet! They had name stickers rather than audition numbers. My dd was quite shy as she didn't come with any friends, but really enjoyed it. You don't get any feedback, but as you're watching the class you can see how they get on. Enjoy! :) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just booked my DD onto the Birmingham insight day, and the audition journey begins again! Second year of trying for her. She was successful at Elmhurst though and is currently an Elmhurst young dancer. (And loving it!)

We enjoyed the insight day last year (Totnes), I might be wrong but I got the impression the teachers had their eye on a couple of the kids and I'm sure they must notice the ones they want!

I’ve booked my daughter on the London day though will be applying for the Birmingham centre for a year 5 place. 

First year of auditioning for us! I have my reservations about her facility (not flat in froggy) and she’s not the typical RBS build with quite muscly legs (though skinny everywhere else). But more than one teacher has suggested she tries and I suppose you have to be in it to win it 😀

Will try for Elmhurst too and maybe Tring CBA which is a little further away. 

Edited by BellaF
Typo

2 hours ago, BellaF said:

I have my reservations about her facility (not flat in froggy) and she’s not the typical RBS build with quite muscly legs (though skinny everywhere else). But more than one teacher has suggested she tries and I suppose you have to be in it to win it 

Not all those who get an RBS associates offer can do a flat froggy so this shouldn't put you off applying.  DD was never able to get flat but her friend who could was having knee and hip issues which it turned out were being exacerbated by the froggies.  I have been told that this is often considered a "vanity stretch" and that many of those who are in this stretch look good but may not be doing it incorrectly.  It should be done with a supported body and proper alignment for any meaningful benefit.  Good luck with your applications.

@BellaF yes we will also be applying for year 5 Birmingham. Last year we (on here) spent months analysing what they are looking for but it's still a mystery! Last year my DD was a very tiny August born year 4 so I'm hoping she'll have a better chance this time as she has grown loads, me and her friends mum are convinced they are stretching them at Elmhurst! 😂

• 2 months later...
On 13/11/2019 at 21:30, BellaF said:

I’ve booked my daughter on the London day though will be applying for the Birmingham centre for a year 5 place. 

First year of auditioning for us! I have my reservations about her facility (not flat in froggy) and she’s not the typical RBS build with quite muscly legs (though skinny everywhere else). But more than one teacher has suggested she tries and I suppose you have to be in it to win it 😀

My DS did an Insight Day at Birmingham last year. I know so little about dancing but he had asked to audition for JAs and I was worried that he didn't really know what he would be signing up for or if he was anywhere near good enough. So he did the Insight to gauge potential and whether he would like it or not. The lesson was as described above, he absolutely loved it and the teacher. He came away determined to audition. I has little sense that teachers were looking at potential and if I had not taken DS up to say thank you and farewell at the end then I would have had no feedback (and wasn't looking for any). Upon saying our thanks, the teacher did comment on how well he had done (perhaps just politeness).  He did audition and is now a Y4 JA and absolutely loving it.

Just enjoy the Insight - it is exactly that, an insight!

On 13/11/2019 at 21:30, BellaF said:

Sorry forget to say.... DS is also a gymnast and so very muscular (for a Y4) and he is also not flat on his froggy but did get in. It might be of interest, that after about 10 weeks of being a JA many of the pupils saw a physiotherapist for areas of development and DS was looked at for his turnout - the feedback was that he has the potential for full turnout (not limited by structure) but limited by his muscular build or more accurately by the other sports pulling that area tight. He just has to work harder on this area and was given additional exercises to do so.

Hope that helps 😊