Royal Ballet: Manon, autumn 2019

9 hours ago, alison said:

But I believe there *is* a sequel.  I'm sure I read it in the intro to the novel, probably last century(!).  The argument was that Des Grieux, having hurriedly buried her body in the sand (because there's a desert outside New Orleans) and then grieved over her grave all night, returns to Europe and I can't remember what happens, but it turns out that Manon wasn't actually dead, she'd only fainted or something - and also he hadn't stopped to check the body of whoever it was he'd "killed" instead of the Gaoler properly, because he wasn't dead either ...  I don't think it was written by Prévost, though.

Whoever wrote it must have been unrealistically optomistic! I had a skim through the novel on Project Gutenberg the other week (in translation!) & at the end first Des Grieux buried Manon in the desert but then, after he had been rescued by the man he thought he'd killed but didn't, that man (who must have been extremely forgiving!) arranged for Manon to be re-buried somewhere more fitting. It seems highly unlikely that she'd be buried twice & then turn out to be alive!

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Whoever wrote it must have been unrealistically optomistic! I had a skim through the novel on Project Gutenberg the other week (in translation!) & at the end first Des Grieux buried Manon in the desert but then, after he had been rescued by the man he thought he'd killed but didn't, that man (who must have been extremely forgiving!) arranged for Manon to be re-buried somewhere more fitting. It seems highly unlikely that she'd be buried twice & then turn out to be alive!

Unless it was all a dream, as per Dallas. 

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

Outstanding, breathtaking, beautiful performances from Takada and Campbell tonight to finish  this run of Manon ....

And, please, let's not forget - nor pass over - James Hay's luminous Lescaut (and this after having danced a full Florimund earlier in the day.)  His mime was so frighteningly clear you could literally hear him speak.  Such a special artist this young man is.  We are privileged in his considerable deed.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 22

8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Outstanding, breathtaking, beautiful performances from Takada and Campbell tonight to finish  this run of Manon ....

so thrilled to read this , for both of them 👏👏.  I would have loved to see this pairing.  Do tell more .... 

I saw Takada/Campbell during the previous run and would agree with the above comments. My only disappointment this run has been not seeing James Hay, whose,performance in the last run showed him to be, to me, the best of the current Lescauts. On the strength of this, and previous forum comments about his Florimund, I've booked to see his SB.

• Like 6

I went last night, having booked specifically to see James Hay's Lescaut and then I had the added bonus of Alex Campbell too! 

A marvellous performance from the whole cast, but for me James stole the show. Excellent dancing but the characterisation and how he uses his eyes, in particular, to express his feelings was absolutely superb. So expressive and gripping too, because I was always waiting to see what he would do next: and there was so much. I loved it. Yes, for me - the best of the Lescaut's in this run.  I must check to make sure I have booked for his SB. 

Alex and Akane danced extremely well together - Akane is a beautiful, lyrical dancer, but as a pairing, I felt they lacked the fizz of the Campbell/ Hayward partnership. That might be a bit harsh, as it was very high quality, it's just that extra emotional pull.

Gary Avis, also unexpectedly appeared as the Gaoler and give his usual, fine tuned and detailed performance in that role.  

• Like 11

3 hours ago, FionaE said:

so thrilled to read this , for both of them 👏👏.  I would have loved to see this pairing.  Do tell more .... 

Difficult to put it into words  adequately - I just felt that both Akane and Alex truly inhabited their characters and that you could see every confused  emotion they were experiencing throughout the whole conflict of love, sensuality, and the pull of luxury and riches - starting from the moment Alex  showed Des Grieux's yearning for Manon  with his lovely, controlled, lyrical  Act 1 solo. 

I was particularly struck by the sheer exuberance of their dance-expressed love-making in Act 1, and in Act 2 by  Akane's movements and expressions as Manon  allows herself to be literally thrown from man to man in Act 2 , and as she  positions herself  so as to be dancing  half for Des Grieux, half for Monsieur GM -  enjoying the attention and the power of her sensuality but at the same time in much doubt, conscious of what she also feels for Des Grieux. 

In Act 3 we had Gary Avis ( a cast change from Bennet Gartside) in his particularly horrible gaoler role,  followed by such emotional dancing and characterisation from Akane and Alex, as  Des Grieux desperately tries to save the broken Manon and get her out of the swamp. Her air-spins in his arms were just amazing, the last of which, of course, amounting to Manon's death throes. 

I do think the partnership they had in  the last run of Manon,  which was tremendous  in itself (and cast again due to McRae's unfortunate absence),  really helped them cement their connection and performance last night.

I am pretty sure they felt so as well - it was lovely to see Akane looking really happy during the curtain calls, (once recovered from the initial emotion of the ending)  whereas she was clearly distressed at the end of  the first performance  which resulted in McRae's injury. 

Yes I did absolutely love James Hay as well, as a wonderful Lescaut, but for me this performance must belong to the main couple! 

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Difficult to put it into words  adequately - I just felt that both Akane and Alex truly inhabited their characters and that you could see every confused  emotion they were experiencing throughout the whole conflict of love, sensuality, and the pull of luxury and riches - starting from the moment Alex  showed Des Grieux's yearning for Manon  with his lovely, controlled, lyrical  Act 1 solo. 

I was particularly struck by the sheer exuberance of their dance-expressed love-making in Act 1, and in Act 2 by  Akane's movements and expressions as Manon  allows herself to be literally thrown from man to man in Act 2 , and as she  positions herself  so as to be dancing  half for Des Grieux, half for Monsieur GM -  enjoying the attention and the power of her sensuality but at the same time in much doubt, conscious of what she also feels for Des Grieux. 

In Act 3 we had Gary Avis ( a cast change from Bennet Gartside) in his particularly horrible gaoler role,  followed by such emotional dancing and characterisation from Akane and Alex, as  Des Grieux desperately tries to save the broken Manon and get her out of the swamp. Her air-spins in his arms were just amazing, the last of which, of course, amounting to Manon's death throes. 

I do think the partnership they had in  the last run of Manon,  which was tremendous  in itself (and cast again due to McRae's unfortunate absence),  really helped them cement their connection and performance last night.

I am pretty sure they felt so as well - it was lovely to see Akane looking really happy during the curtain calls, (once recovered from the initial emotion of the ending)  whereas she was clearly distressed at the end of  the first performance  which resulted in McRae's injury. 

Yes I did absolutely love James Hay as well, as a wonderful Lescaut, but for me this performance must belong to the main couple! 

You have found some wonderful words to express your impressions, thank you so much.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Do you have any more photos available, Rob ?

I do, yes. I’ll post some when I get home later this evening. In the meantime there’s always some on my Instagram page 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

What a fantastic performance, I agree that James was a fantastic Lescaut, probably the best that I saw in this run.

I regret not seeing Hay's Lescaut. Likewise Calvert's Mistress. They're the two I'd have really liked to have seen this run but couldn't as I didn't want to see the leads in their casts. (Although my biggest regret is still not being able to see Hamilton/Clarke.)

53 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I regret not seeing Hay's Lescaut. Likewise Calvert's Mistress. They're the two I'd have really liked to have seen this run but couldn't as I didn't want to see the leads in their casts. (Although my biggest regret is still not being able to see Hamilton/Clarke.)

I'd have loved to have seen the Hamilton/Clarke duo too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I regret not seeing Hay's Lescaut. 

Me too :(  

Whenever I see James Hay dance (most recently in the Sleeping Beauty General yesterday) I am left scratching my head as to why he doesn't have more opportunities. Ok, he is not tall, but he isn't shorter than a few principals ?  He is so elegant, has such a beautiful line and always finishes properly.  IMO he is the only one to touch Muntagirov classically.  Why on earth not Franz or Prince Siegfried ? 

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, annamk said:

Me too :(  

Whenever I see James Hay dance (most recently in the Sleeping Beauty General yesterday) I am left scratching my head as to why he doesn't have more opportunities. Ok, he is not tall, but he isn't shorter than a few principals ?  He is so elegant, has such a beautiful line and always finishes properly.  IMO he is the only one to touch Muntagirov classically.  Why on earth not Franz or Prince Siegfried ? 

A couple of years ago he did an excellent Symphonic Variations - one of the two couples. Agree he should be used more in leading roles.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ToThePointe said:

This is a very gushing review, but I thought you might like to read my views on the Hayward/Campbell cast!

https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2019/11/08/Manon-at-The-Royal-Ballet 

I find your last few sentences in the second paragraph, about Des Grieux, very interesting. I personally have found, having seen 5 RB casts this run plus 2 ENB casts back in January, that the Des Grieux is more important than the Manon in terms of how moved I am by the piece.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I find your last few sentences in the second paragraph, about Des Grieux, very interesting. I personally have found, having seen 5 RB casts this run plus 2 ENB casts back in January, that the Des Grieux is more important than the Manon in terms of how moved I am by the piece.

If Des Grieux isn’t working for me throughout the performance, then I know I won’t be moved by the end! It’s a tricky one - when he’s doing his solo in the brothel, some Manons seem to almost take pity on him but I feel more moved when I feel it’s a mutual love. I think there’s space for both though - I don’t think Manon is a ballet where there’s pressure to be moved by the end - unlike in R&J!

• Like 3

Rob S thanks again for those stunning photos ....so rarely see one of Hay too!

Are you a professional photographer? "

Also to add have just read your great and sympathetic review tothepointe....thanks for that 😊

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ToThePointe said:

If Des Grieux isn’t working for me throughout the performance, then I know I won’t be moved by the end! It’s a tricky one - when he’s doing his solo in the brothel, some Manons seem to almost take pity on him but I feel more moved when I feel it’s a mutual love. I think there’s space for both though - I don’t think Manon is a ballet where there’s pressure to be moved by the end - unlike in R&J!

For me there is: if I'm not moved by the end of Manon then the performance hasn't been successful for me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Rob S thanks again for those stunning photos ....so rarely see one of Hay too!

Are you a professional photographer? "

Also to add have just read your great and sympathetic review tothepointe....thanks for that 😊

Thank you, no I'm not a pro...just someone with a decent view and reasonable camera 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ToThePointe said:

This is a very gushing review, but I thought you might like to read my views on the Hayward/Campbell cast!

https://tothepointemagazine.wixsite.com/tothepointemagazine/single-post/2019/11/08/Manon-at-The-Royal-Ballet 

Thank you for the gushing review.  Completely agree.  I don’t want to see another Manon pairing after that superb performance 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

There were some postings here about the very short 'rags' worn by Manon. Out of interest, I played my Penney/Dowell DVD. She wears rags that are definitely the ragged version of one of her dresses, definitely  knee length. All the dresses worn by the prostitutes are ragged versions of their previous clothes. So it seems as through there has been some redesigning over the years.

• Like 3

Having seen Morera/Bonelli and Hayward/Campbell I rather feel that I have seen an older, softer, more traditional style with the former and a newer more dynamic style with the latter. Both valid, both showing the dancers giving beautiful performances and I really would hate to have to choose between them. Very grateful to have been lucky enough to see both - just don't ask me to choose!

• Like 9

Sadly I wasn't able to see this cast in Manon this time round but loved your review, To The Pointe. I think it's that mutual spontaneity - as you say, 'being real on stage' - that makes Hayward and Campbell such a great partnership. It isn't emoting, it isn't sentimentality, it's just that they both have a unique ability to make it real and that translates to the audience. However many times we may have seen a certain ballet, they bring something fresh and arresting in a way that makes it feel that we are seeing that particular ballet for the first time.

I agree, too, with your comments about Corrales and Magri. Both are exciting and charismatic dancers who draw and hold the eye and fill the stage.

I can't wait to see more of each of them.

Edited by Scheherezade
  • Like 4

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:23, ninamargaret said:

There were some postings here about the very short 'rags' worn by Manon. Out of interest, I played my Penney/Dowell DVD. She wears rags that are definitely the ragged version of one of her dresses, definitely  knee length. All the dresses worn by the prostitutes are ragged versions of their previous clothes. So it seems as through there has been some redesigning over the years.

Incidentally, I watched a bit of my Rojo/Acosta DVD the other day to check something, and noted that Manon's Act 2 dress had sleeves.  When did it become the current strappy version?