Book: Swan Lake: Reimagining a Classic

• alison changed the title to Book: Swan Lake: Reimagining a Classic

Well I am now slightly dizzy with pleasure having briefly met some of RB's best at the book signing...Yasmine Naghdi, Akane Takada, Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Marienela Nunez, and Vadim Muntagirov...all such lovely people....as well as Bill Cooper, whose fantastic new book they all signed.😀

• Like 8

We got a slightly different line-up, as by the time we got to the head of the queue Ball had left & Bonelli arrived. They all seemed very nice but especially Bracewell. I've been looking through the book on the train home & some of the photos are stunning!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Well I am now slightly dizzy with pleasure having briefly met some of RB's best at the book signing...Yasmine Naghdi, Akane Takada, Matthew Ball, William Bracewell, Marienela Nunez, and Vadim Muntagirov...all such lovely people....as well as Bill Cooper, whose fantastic new book they all signed.😀

Wow!

Very jealous of those able to make the book signing! It's frustrating that often these things seem to happen during working hours though it is understandable I suppose as it has to fit around dancers' schedules/timetables. 

For those who have the book would you say it's worth getting?

I might try and check it out - I presume it's in the ROH gift shop? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JNC said:

For those who have the book would you say it's worth getting?

I might try and check it out - I presume it's in the ROH gift shop? 

It is in the gift shop, and there is an unsealed copy there for you to browse through and assess. Always liked Bill's photos and there are plenty of great ones in the book - my only small gripe is that they have made many of them small so they can fit 3-4 on to one page

• Like 1

10 hours ago, capybara said:

Members of The London Ballet Circle can get a 25% discount (i.e. £32 rather than £40) if they order online using the code given on https://www.tlbc.org.uk

I believe that Friends of Covent Garden can also get some form of discount?

One might hope members of the Ballet Association could get one too - after all, they are supposed to be the RB supporters.

11 hours ago, capybara said:

Members of The London Ballet Circle can get a 25% discount (i.e. £32 rather than £40) if they order online using the code given on https://www.tlbc.org.uk

I believe that Friends of Covent Garden can also get some form of discount?

I got 10% off at the ROH shop yesterday, so £36 rather than £40, once I finally located my membership card lurking in my purse (I'm not used to all this Friends stuff yet!).

The book is absolutely stunning and in my opinion fantastic value for money at £40, the book goes through the whole of the ballet in sequence with pics from multiple performances, all the Odettes and Siegfrieds feature, you've got a page of the different Bennos, different combinations of Siegfried's sisters, various Italian dancer combos although strangely a photo of each of the princesses has been overlooked, just one of Melissa Hamilton as the Hungarian, pics of Harrod and Hinkis as the Italian and one double page spread of a shot from the cinema performance of all of the princesses dancing. The image and print quality is great with double page spreads, full page, half page and quarter page pics, overhead shots, close ups, whole stage shots. At the end you've got design pics, training footage, dress fitting pics, no text or labels just a foreword from Mr O'Hare and a page from Liam Scarlett.

• Like 4

My apologies too. I gave the correct £ discount for LBC members but said 25% off instead of 20%. 

I agree that this is a fabulous book and I especially appreciate the coverage of all the casts and of most of the named roles. Definitely Christmas present material.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

no text or labels

Which means that if, like me, you don't know what anywhere near every dancer in the company looks like, you can go through it seeing how many you can identify! Kept me occupied for most of the train journey home after the Manon rehearsal! (I did subsequently find there's a list at the back.)

• Like 4