Magic Moments

Buddy

Would anyone care to relate any of those times when something, onstage or related to being on stage/in class, etc., really charming/beautiful, etc. happened to either yourself or your children ?  😊

Could I give it a try ?

I've been going to the Mariinsky Ballet Festival in St. Petersburg, Russia for fifteen years in a row. I've seen some of the best ballet performances that I've ever seen, there. I even saw a Giselle by the visiting Bolshoi Principal Ballerina, Svetlana Zakharova, that I referred to 'as perhaps the best performance of Anything that I've ever seen.'

Yet, perhaps the most charming and beautiful occurrence of all had little to do with the performances. It was the audience. This was a children's ballet performance and it seemed like half the audience was children. And they were precious, throughout ! 

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I have two. The first one was when my dd was in a production at a local theatre and I was chaperoning, so I was standing in the wings. I have a sort of photographic image in my memory of one single moment when she and a group of others were poised waiting to go on, a snapshopt in time of them all in a row lit by the stage lights waiting for their cue. A one-off.

The other was at a masterclass dd was taking part in, and parents were watching in the studio. The teacher was Daria Klimentova and towards the end of the class she was showing them a short dance for them all to learn. Halfway through, she slipped from teacher into performance mode  without really intending to - she was grinning by the end as she realised she'd done it. Wow. Awe inspiring, especially from such close quarters, the sheer power of her stage presence lit up the entire studio. Phenomenal.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I have two. The first one was when my dd was in a production at a local theatre and I was chaperoning, so I was standing in the wings. I have a sort of photographic image in my memory of one single moment when she and a group of others were poised waiting to go on, a snapshopt in time of them all in a row lit by the stage lights waiting for their cue. A one-off.

The other was at a masterclass dd was taking part in, and parents were watching in the studio. The teacher was Daria Klimentova and towards the end of the class she was showing them a short dance for them all to learn. Halfway through, she slipped from teacher into performance mode  without really intending to - she was grinning by the end as she realised she'd done it. Wow. Awe inspiring, especially from such close quarters, the sheer power of her stage presence lit up the entire studio. Phenomenal.

Taxi4ballet, I’ve had a somewhat similar experience to your Daria Klimentova one. She was a wonderful ballerina, by the way.

Viengsay Valdes, this year made Director of the National Ballet of Cuba, was invited to the Mariinsky Festival to perform. One evening they gave her a box near the stage to watch. She started dancing along with her hands and arms, seemingly lost in a dreamworld. Absolutely spellbinding !

More often than not, a little child dancing in the aisle has charmed me at least as much as any of the greatest ballerinas.

Edited by Buddy

The DanceXchange here in Birmingham, did a show a couple of years ago, where each class did a short piece. My ballet class was behind the backdrop, waiting for our turn, while  the jazz class on stage. We all thought they should have filmed us free-style dancing to the jazz score, rather than what they did film of us in front of the backdrop.

• Like 1

I have a photo of my DS aged about 3, where we had gone to watch a Cinderella performance and the back stage curtain was pale blue and covered in sparkles. We waited for ages to get out after the show and he went missing in the foyer. He’d sneaked back in to watch the sparkly curtain from the back of the stalls with no one else in sight! 

On the photo, it’s just his back looking at the stage, leaning on the back row and it’s just magical. 💕💕

• Like 1