Post 16 dance options

hoglett

Just now, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Given what you’ve said about her aspirations I think so. It’s the same level of course as if she’d stayed at her old school and she’ll have more options at 18 than are available at 16. 

Thanks. Steelworks looks too far...2 hours on the train. Any other recommendations in our area 😏 She doesn't want to go to Burton college. She wants a dance school. 

Oh gosh @hoglett that really is a difficult situation and puts a different perspective on things. I hope I wasn't too insensitive by suggesting that she  stayed at home for another 2 years. I can see why you are looking for somewhere that can meet her dance and academic needs in one, given what has happened. The prospect of finding a new school and new dance now and then having to do it all again in 2 years must be very daunting.

I can empathise with your situation as the prep school my DD attended shut down very suddenly when she was in year 5. Fortunately we had our suspicions and moved her earlier, so avoiding the mad scramble for places elsewhere that ensued. Obviously not as bad as your situation, but it was far from ideal. We opted for state schools after the closure debacle, but many of the others moved to the only other independent school in our locality. Unfortunately this then also closed with virtually no warning when the year group that would have included my DD was in year 12. So I feel very lucky that we dodged the bullets twice. But I did see how traumatic it was for a number of DD's friends and their families who were affected. If it is any consolation, all the children I know who were affected have gone on to do very well despite the upheaval. I can't imagine how stressful it must be, but with such an obviously loving mum supporting her I am sure your DD will come through this. I think you are amazing for taking on homeschooling for GCSEs. 

I really hope you soon find a solution that works for the whole family.

• Like 1

If it’s a teaching and choreography the chosen route, definitely look very closely at the Universities. Dance degrees at these institutions tend to follow a far more academic route. Frustrating fir those wanting a performance based career as studio time is limited. Chichester has been mentioned but unsure on the Degree course syllabus. 

Obviously any degree course at uni will attract a student loan rather than chasing a DaDa you can select the uni of choice. 

• Like 1

I was coming in to post pretty much what @balletbeanhas posted.

If your daughter is interested in a teaching and choreography career, then she should be aiming for a university dance degree, probably with some modules available in pedagogy and choreography.

So one way of looking at your current conundrum might be to work backwards:

* identify 5 university courses (that's how many choices in a UCAS application) which are of interest**

* look at what their entry requirements are

* see what post-16 choices best enable desired university course entry

** to choose appropriate university courses:

The UCAS website is a good first start, as well as searching discussions here

Then go to the specific degree programme website on the university's own website

Try to get past the advertorial selling pages (we all have to do it - us academics don't like it) and get to the pages for current students

Have a look at the broad structure of each degree programme

The Departmental information will tell you approximately about time in the studio and time in seminars & contextual studies

It's likely that university dance degrees will focus more on contemporary dance than ballet, but many will offer ballet as part of the studio training component of a degree

It's likely that most dance degrees - other than the solidly vocational at conservatoires such as Central or Laban - will require 50% of the students time in seminar/theory/research based modules. HOWEVER, this sort of learning will be vital for anyone wanting t teach or choreograph. Choreographers need to have a wide knowledge of art, music, the history of dance & movement more generally.  There should also be some sort of option offered in 'employability' style studies eg entrepreneurship, study of the creative industries etc.

My strong advice for post-16 education is to keep up the academic studies, so that your daughter has the best chance of the widest possible choice of university dance degrees. Normally, I'd advise going strongly for the dance training as bodies can't wait. But if her long-term goal is to teach & choreograph, actually she'll need deep and broad learning and also analytical and critical thinking. This latter is paramount.

• Like 3

On 27/09/2019 at 10:39, meadowblythe said:

Hi Hoglett just wanting to clarify - is it teaching at a dance school  or teaching in a secondary  school that your daughter is leaning towards?

Good point(e) raised. 

One would require a PGCE qualification (schools) which would definitely be the uni route. 

One could require RAD/ISTD or similar qualification (studios). 

Teaching older teens/young adults and aiming towards freelance work would involve in different route again. I believe Mountview might offer courses more suitable for budding choreographers along with degrees at uni but this time minus the PGCE. 

Its the end game then working backwards which can be such a dilemma.  Gosh and I thought seeking vocational schools at 16 was challenging enough as no two were offering the same!! 🤨

On 23/09/2019 at 10:05, Picturesinthefirelight said:

It might also be useful to know whether or not you require a course with funding (be it Dada for Level 6 or a government funded Btec.  Some of the institutions mentined are funded (albeit according to parental income if a DaDa, others are fee paying although some scholarships may be available.

"However her teachers schedule a unit of singing classes as a back up and suggested that each student in their vocational school , which is principally aimed at producing company dancers not MT,  apply themselves to finding that one song that they could produce for audition if absolutely necessary. "

This is the rationale behind most of the dance schools/colleges incorporating some element of singing into their courses. It wil be very hard to avoid singing completely. 

Northern School of Contemporary Dance is an excellent school but they only take students with A Levels or equivalent. 

Another place I thought of is Performers College in Essex.  Again the dance course does contain singing, but in a much lesser proprtion than ther Musical Theatre course.

Northern School Of Contemporary dance do take 16 year olds but advise only those with exceptional talent - worth a try

Birmingham is excellent for ballet training, but presumably not within the BOA. For someone who wants to do this full-time, it would be worth looking at various colleges of Further Education - Solihull had quite a good dance programme when I lived in Birmingham, but I don't know if this is still the case. 

What I know as the BTEC - but I think it's now called a National Diploma? Good results in this will be accepted for appropriate degree courses at universities (we take applicants with Distinctions at BTEC level and I teach at a research intensive elite university).

But my point re overall aims stands - if it's teaching/choreography, then this ambition is probably best served by a good dance degree at a university. There will inevitably be more contemporary dance than ballet, but the degree courses I know (which is not all of them!) - at universities, not conservatoires - all have ballet as part of their curriculum.

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 22:05, hoglett said:

Thank you all again. As I've said I'm a single parent, I was widowed 7 years ago so I literally have to make all the decisions single handedly. Plus we're just getting over the unexpected closure of my daughter's school- academic and where she danced all at the end of Year 10. So additionally I've got the  pressures of trying to get somebody to take her on to finish her BTEC Dance Level 2 and I'm homeschooling for her GCSEs. So you can see just why I genuinely appreciate the time you've all taken to reply and give me the benefit of your experience.  Thank you sincerely. I'm going to sit and reread all of your responses before carrying out lots of research on all of your suggestions. Xx

So sorry to hear of your loss. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through but as a recent single mum through divorce I too felt the pressure. Trying to find the right balance between encouragement and being realistic whilst also trying not to appear as the ogre when having those tough conversations. Fortunately I was never awarded that title. 3 children have survived my support post school 1 more to go 🤞🏼  Last GCSE season this year. That’s a medal I will be proud to wear. 🏅

Best wishes to you on your exhausting but rewarding journey. ☺️

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1