English National Ballet, Akram Khan Giselle, Sadlers Wells, September 2019

18 hours ago, Irmgard said:

Unfortunately I had no idea, as Khan's version is  far removed from Mary Skeaping's production which I look after.   However, I have asked my good friend Stina Quagebeur, who created the role of Myrtha in the Khan version, and she said  Khan wanted them to have weapons as they seek revenge and he thought that holding them in the mouth made them belong to another world, not the real world.  Of course, the need for them to have weapons is completely contrary to the original legend of the Wilis, who were meant to ensnare their victims with their beauty (which is why in the Skeaping production designed by David Walker the Wilis look beautiful and feminine).  Personally, I am not at all fond of the ladies having to hold bamboo poles in their mouths as it cannot be good for their teeth! 

Irmgard

Thank you so much from me.

On 23/06/2020 at 23:39, Irmgard said:

Unfortunately I had no idea, as Khan's version is  far removed from Mary Skeaping's production which I look after.   However, I have asked my good friend Stina Quagebeur, who created the role of Myrtha in the Khan version, and she said  Khan wanted them to have weapons as they seek revenge and he thought that holding them in the mouth made them belong to another world, not the real world.  Of course, the need for them to have weapons is completely contrary to the original legend of the Wilis, who were meant to ensnare their victims with their beauty (which is why in the Skeaping production designed by David Walker the Wilis look beautiful and feminine).  Personally, I am not at all fond of the ladies having to hold bamboo poles in their mouths as it cannot be good for their teeth! 

Whatever the dramatic intention of the bamboo sticks might be, they always make me flinch, as they remind me of the time I needed root canal! Having said that, I have enjoyed it both times I have seen it, and the dancers have performed it brilliantly 🙂