Sadler's Wells Spring season

Thanks for the news!

I’m very interested in Creature, Alina’s work (looks like her and Kobborg will be doing Marguerite and Armand) and the BRB mixed bill. I wonder if Acosta and Ferri will dance every single performance? 

NYCB looks like an interesting mixed bill too, though they are only appearing in one part and it seems to be more of a focus on music than dance. 

Is there any more information on the Alina programme?  It seems to be 5 shows.  

And is only 10 days after her 6 show programme in Japan co-starring Friedemann Vogel in Ballet Imperial and Sergei Polunin in M&A.

I don’t think Johan’s dancing is up to the demands of Armand.  I’d expect him to play Armand’s father and I’m sure would be brilliant in that role.

Edited by FionaE

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

Is there any more information on the Alina programme?  It seems to be 5 shows.  

And is only 10 days after her 6 show programme in Japan co-starring Friedemann Vogel in Ballet Imperial and Sergei Polunin in M&A.

I don’t think Johan’s dancing is up to the demands of Armand.  I’d expect him to play Armand’s father and I’m sure would be brilliant in that role.

Do you think it'll be Sergei dancing in M&A with Alina? I had a faint hope this might be the case, although I presumed it wouldn't be him as otherwise he would be advertised as appearing in order to boost ticket sales? 

Alina does seem to have a packed schedule, I believe she is shortly off to Japan after this! 

I do hope she appears in ENB's Le Corsaire in January in London as she doesn't have any other ENB performances scheduled other than the current Giselle at SW's right now...

Edited by JNC

1 minute ago, JNC said:

Do you think it'll be Sergei dancing in M&A with Alina? I had a faint hope this might be the case, although I presumed it wouldn't be him as otherwise he would be advertised as appearing in order to boost ticket sales? 

Alina’s ‘name’ alone will ensure healthy ticket sales. She is the headline act here.

39 minutes ago, capybara said:

Alina’s ‘name’ alone will ensure healthy ticket sales. She is the headline act here.

Of course she is the headline act. But Kobborg is named as he is well known in the ballet world, and as is Polunin (whatever your opinion on him may be).

I wasn’t suggesting Alina ‘needed’ Polunin to be named to shift more tickets, more that (for some people) he would be an added bonus. For others, he would be the opposite! 

Well obviously I personally hope it will be Sergei accompanying Alina in M&A, but it could quite easily be Friedemann Vogel (they’ve performed it together before with Johan as Armand’s father).  Or indeed someone else from RB, Mariinsky, Bolshoi .... so many who perform this now.   I would love to see Friedemann or Sergei in this role so I’ll be booking anyway and hoping for one of these two🤞

Sadly I do not have any inside info on Sergei’s schedule.  

1 hour ago, JNC said:

Alina does seem to have a packed schedule, I believe she is shortly off to Japan after this! 

Alina’s Dream Project dates in Japan are 5-6, 8-9 and 11 February 2020, which pre-dates her shows at Sadlers Wells on 20-23 February 2020.  

• 4 weeks later...

JUST SO YOU KNOW ... 

Dropped in to buy my Spring 2020 tickets at Sadler's Wells  - had my eager list in hand - and was hoping to be in time to buy a goodly number of the small range of 'Senior Specials' - as per the SW website:-

Advance Concessions: Available to students, unwaged, over 65s. A limited number of £8 seats in Sadler's Wells rear 2nd circle or Peacock Theatre rear stalls for selected performances. Tickets will be held at Ticket Office. Proof of eligibility must be shown, otherwise the full price will be charged. A max of 2 discounted tickets per person, per event. Tickets can only be booked by the concession holder and are not transferable.

PLEASE ;KNOW THAT OF THE SPRING 2020 SEASON ADVANCE CONCESSIONS AT SADLER'S WELLS WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST, i.e., NO MORE SENIOR/STUDENT SPECIALS.

I went to buy my first couple for the Cojocaru bill and the kind lady at the box office told me that the 'Specials' were not available for that performance.  I wasn't surprised as ENB had also removed them from sale for their revival of Khan's Giselle during this current session.  I then went to buy a few for the Peck programme.  She looked quizzical and said: 'For some reason they are not available for this either'.  'Just a minute,' she said, then dashed into a back office.  When she came out she said:  'I'm sorry but from Spring 2020 there will be no more senior or any other discounts for ANY performance.  We will certainly honour any discounted tickets that have been bought under the current scheme for this season's booking period.'

I left feeling VERY grateful that I, myself, was able to have taken advantage of this scheme when it was still possible.  My heart goes out to the younger balletomanes who will never be able to enjoy that much valued opportunity at such a point as they might have been able.  As the lady at the box office remarked:  'This is happening all over.'

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

That's hugely disappointing, Bruce, but thanks for letting us know.  That means that anyone who wants to come will generally be having to pay more or less double, given that bottom price at Sadler's Wells now generally seems to be £15, which is not a good way of encouraging new young audiences.  Presumably standbys will still be available, where appropriate.  I never did understand the thinking behind making some of its more elderly patrons trek up 20-odd stairs to the back of the Second Circle just to get a cheap seat, though.

• Like 2

Thanks Bruce for the update. 

I find this very disheartening - particularly for the unwaged who for those who did utilise the offer I imagine it would be near impossible for them to continue attending SW, or would do so at significant financial sacrifice. 

I disagree with ‘it happening all over’. Within the last year museums such as the Tate, National Gallery, Barbican and others have just started their 16-25 years old scheme (usually tickets at heavily discounted prices either all the time or on particular days). Some theatres also do deals for under 25/30s, which are more established than the museums’ deals I believe. From my personal experience the general trend is it is increasingly seen as a ‘good thing’ to have these sorts of concessions leading to an increase in them not a cutback. 

I have to admit I’m not familiar with the Sadler’s deals (likely because of the booking in person restriction?) but if you had to book in person I question how many people would have taken advantage of it anyway! (Especially if you factor in not only the time but the cost of travel to SW, cutting into the discount!) I’m not sure how generous the deal was but would have liked them to trial a ‘less generous’ deal rather than getting rid of it altogether but I do feel they are in a difficult position.  

By the way, I’m not criticising the Sadler’s staff member, she may have been told to say that or had to come up with something on the spot to say! Pretty poor form on how they communicate with their staff as well, leaving them to explain to disappointed customers who have travelled all the way in person rather than have a clear email sent out to anyone on the mailing list, clearly they’re afraid of negative pushback I suppose so are trying to quietly get rid.

@alison over the past year SW seem to have used the app Today Tix for ‘standbys’ where tickets haven’t sold as well, so I would recommend downloading that if you’re interested. They’re sometimes a day or two in advance, but other-times that can even be a week or more in advance - often in the form of a limited 24 hour period where tickets start from £15 (stalls can be more expensive but still heavily discounted). And and the tickets actually are £15 (£12 ticket plus £3 booking fee rather than £15 plus booking fee) so actually are even cheaper than SW’s cheapest tickets! I believe Today Tix is targeted towards a younger audience and the relatively last minute way it works probably does suit younger people more than booking months in advance. 

Edited by JNC

Off the top of my head BRB’s Hobson’s Choice was on there, and so were the Ballet Boyz (which wasn’t actually Sadler’s Wells no I think about it!). 

I can’t remember if there have been many more but it’s worth keeping an eye out - they seem to be happening more frequently now Today Tix seems to be establishing a larger audience base. 

Well I booked yesterday for Northern Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet next spring.

My first shock was how much the tickets have gone up since last year ... somewhat more than the current rate of inflation!!

When I worked it out it was cheaper for me to join the Friends to make my purchases.  So I've done that and may book for other tickets so may well end up quids in.  With steep price increases in Birmingham and Leeds as well I am starting to think that theatres are pricing themselves out of the market.

• Like 5

@Jan McNulty if you’re a Friend do you still have to pay the £3 booking fee?

I reckon I’m on the borderline so this might sway it for me. Otherwise I’d rather pay as I go - it may end up working out slightly more but I know some years there will be things that appeal to me less! 

3 minutes ago, JNC said:

I reckon I’m on the borderline so this might sway it for me. Otherwise I’d rather pay as I go - it may end up working out slightly more but I know some years there will be things that appeal to me less! 

I nearly always book in person so avoid this fee anyway. The Peacock Theatre, which is less reliable in its opening hours but more convenient for most people, also takes bookings for Sadler’s Wells, so I book there when I’m in the area for a performance at ROH.

I booked for Alina and Creature yesterday, very sad that the 20% off discount for buying more than one show has been done away with (for quite a while now), you didn't have to belong to anything special, just book 2 or more shows.

I'm sure at one point Sergei Polunin's name was on the SW website for M and A, but it isn't now, probably a good idea after the Palladium experience!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JNC said:

Oddly enough - it's usually one of the perks of being a Friend, but not at Sadler's Wells.  I was toying with the idea of joining up, but that was what convinced me not to.  So generally I buy my tickets when I'm in the vicinity.  Presumably Friends still get the 20% off?  IMO, the worst thing about not being a Friend is having to make do with that useless season foldout you get through the mail.  I cannot be bothered to wade through their website in order to find out times, dates, programmes and so on.