Jump to content
HopelessMummy

London children's ballet- advice please?

Recommended Posts

Just got the email and it's a no unfortunately. My daughter will be devastated.  I know she will pick herself up but will be totally gutted. Good luck to everyone else. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter has been placed on a waiting list. She is very upset. Does anyone know how likely it is that a place will come up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for results.  Well done everyone who got a yes, waiting list is an amazing achievement too, and if it is a no, keep trying.  This is our third year of waiting results, always had a no and still she keeps trying !   Good luck all xxx 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Medora said:

It’s a very surprising yes for us! Good luck to everyone waiting

Congrats x

 

11 minutes ago, Sally-Anne said:

My daughter has been placed on a waiting list. She is very upset. Does anyone know how likely it is that a place will come up?

No idea

 

I've given up refreshing my emails now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Places will definitely come up for at least some on the waiting list. My DD only auditioned for this once and was offered a place, but we had to turn it down in the end. We weren’t the only ones either. It may perhaps depend on which roles are available as to whether a place emerges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still waiting, has anyone heard from the oder age groups age 13/14?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AMP said:

We are still waiting, has anyone heard from the oder age groups age 13/14?

 

Mine is 11. Have you checked Spam? Someone above found theirs in spam folder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a no for us. My daughter was surprisingly ok about it. I think it's a real achievement to get to the final audition 🙌

Massive congratulations to all those who've got in! Exciting times ahead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AMP said:

We are still waiting, has anyone heard from the oder age groups age 13/14?

 

My daughter has been offered the tour from the 13 year old group. 3rd year auditioning, 2nd consecutive Final and unfortunately likely to be her last chance to audition as committed to All England in 2021. (The tour is a fab opportunity but as it stands currently we don't think we can make the dates work 😪). Congratulations to all those who reached Finals, whatever the outcome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I have checked my junk / spam and nothing!  I agree Keoghcar that is is a big achievement to get to the final audition so congratulations to all xx

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Mak that is fabulous news for your daughter.  My understanding of the tour is that there are two date options?  Hope she can work it out.  x

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AMP said:

Well done Mak that is fabulous news for your daughter.  My understanding of the tour is that there are two date options?  Hope she can work it out.  x

 

Thank you. Three - but we're on hols for two (lucky us) and school exams on the other. We'll have to see if we can change our summer holiday but obviously they might not have a place for her on that one anyway.

Edited by MAK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

Me neither. I hope we hear soon. I'd like to book my hols whilst there are some good Black Fri deals still on... 

 

Sorry for the off-topic remark, but THANK YOU - I don’t often book holidays as such, but had been looking at a particular option (actually a choice between two) and, after reading your post, I checked if either of them had a deal on. And one of them had basically a third off. So I’m now booked, thanks to you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RuthE said:

 

Sorry for the off-topic remark, but THANK YOU - I don’t often book holidays as such, but had been looking at a particular option (actually a choice between two) and, after reading your post, I checked if either of them had a deal on. And one of them had basically a third off. So I’m now booked, thanks to you!

 

You're welcome 😂

 

I'll have to tell my DD in the morning she didn't get through. Bit sad about it as it would have been an amazing opp but I'm sure she will be fine.

 

Does anyone know if previous years' dancers will always make the cut? DD was auditioning in the same group as that amazing girl who was Posy in Ballet Shoes last year.

 

Massive congrats to those who got through. Commiserations to those who didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/09/2019 at 20:29, HopelessMummy said:

Has anyone's DD or DS on here done this? I have signed my DD up to audition and looked at the dates of rehearsal which will definitely clash with associate classes. If she gets a minor part, how likely is she needed for all of the dates?

 

Can anyone impart any wisdom as to what is expected? Obv if she gets in, then we will totally committed but would like a good idea of what is realistic?

Thanks

 

And to think, I never shoulda worried! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

 

And to think, I never shoulda worried! 

 

It's a tough process. My elder daughter was advised she shouldn't audition any years we already had holidays booked so only ever had the chance to audition twice before she was too old. Both times she made Finals but was never offered a place as main cast or on the tour. My younger daughter has now auditioned three times. The first time she didn't get Finals and then this and last time she made Finals but not offered main cast (we are still hoping she can make the tour next year). Both girls had to sacrifice performing in their bi-annual local dance school Presentation and Awards to attend LCB Finals (DD1 in 2017 and DD2 in 2019). I think they do get great experience from the audition process and for the younger ones they can try again another year.

Hope your daughter is ok!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We missed her ballet exam for the finals.

 

Told her this morning. She's a little disappointed but said stoically 'well, the competition is tough and the other girls were better than me'. She's my hero.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

 

You're welcome 😂

 

I'll have to tell my DD in the morning she didn't get through. Bit sad about it as it would have been an amazing opp but I'm sure she will be fine.

 

Does anyone know if previous years' dancers will always make the cut? DD was auditioning in the same group as that amazing girl who was Posy in Ballet Shoes last year.

 

Massive congrats to those who got through. Commiserations to those who didn't.

Previous year’s dancers don’t automatically  make the cut - they are treated the same as the other children at the audition so it’s a level playing field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for those who did get in - is there a date by which you have to accept? Just to put some sort of time limit on it for my waitlisted daughter 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - it states we have to accept by Thursday 12th December so that they can offer places to the waiting list before casting which is 12th January. I imagine the odd person may leave the company during the Jan-June too as you have to be at every rehearsal or you are asked to leave. So I suppose there may be a last minute place? You can ring the office and find out where on the waiting list she is and when you would most likely be to hear if you want to.

 

My daughter got tour waiting list last year but a place didn't become available. This year she has a place in the main company. We almost didn't apply this year as it's so tough, but it does seem to change year on year so it's worth keeping trying (as long as the kids aren't taking rejection too hard). Because it is so tough to get in, she was using it more as audition experience and we didn't check that she could do any of the dates. There may be people not accepting places for this reason (although we are cancelling all the other stuff rather than turning this down!).

 

Good luck everyone.

Edited by Betty
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty said:

Yes - it states we have to accept by Thursday 12th December so that they can offer places to the waiting list before casting which is 12th January. I imagine the odd person may leave the company during the Jan-June too as you have to be at every rehearsal or you are asked to leave. So I suppose there may be a last minute place? You can ring the office and find out where on the waiting list she is and when you would most likely be to hear if you want to.

 

My daughter got tour waiting list last year but a place didn't become available. This year she has a place in the main company. We almost didn't apply this year as it's so tough, but it does seem to change year on year so it's worth keeping trying (as long as the kids aren't taking rejection too hard). Because it is so tough to get in, she was using it more as audition experience and we didn't check that she could do any of the dates. There may be people not accepting places for this reason (although we are cancelling all the other stuff rather than turning this down!).

 

Good luck everyone.

Thank you Betty. It’s good to know that there is an official date. Also, great to hear your daughter was on waiting list last year, but for main company this year. What age is she? That might cheer my dd up. I think a would have found a straight no easier to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never give up hope of a place.  DD's friend was a no or waitlist until the very last year she could apply and then a yes for main company with a part.  By the time you get to finals it does depends on who they need for the roles.  The same applies with regards you place on the waitlist.  You may be at the top of the list for your age group but if someone drops out who is younger or older or a boy and you are a girl it wont happen for you.  Well done to those who have an offer and fingers crossed for those on the wait list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sally-Anne said:

Thank you Betty. It’s good to know that there is an official date. Also, great to hear your daughter was on waiting list last year, but for main company this year. What age is she? That might cheer my dd up. I think a would have found a straight no easier to deal with.

She is 10 in Year 6 Sally-Anne. I think a waiting list place is a big achievement, she clearly is a beautiful dancer to be on the waiting list. Do you have an EYB experience near you? My daughter had a great year after she didn’t get called off the waiting list, did an EYB instead and then the LCB summer school so a year later perhaps she had more dancing behind her to be able to act as well. It’s worth persevering if they love dancing, but not if it gets too upsetting I think.

Fingers crossed someone drops out for your daughter! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...