London children's ballet- advice please?

HopelessMummy

Has anyone's DD or DS on here done this? I have signed my DD up to audition and looked at the dates of rehearsal which will definitely clash with associate classes. If she gets a minor part, how likely is she needed for all of the dates?

Can anyone impart any wisdom as to what is expected? Obv if she gets in, then we will totally committed but would like a good idea of what is realistic?

Thanks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello my daughter danced with LCB in 2018. All cast members are needed pretty much every rehearsal. In the rehearsals from Jan to April DD rehearsed every Sunday bar one and she was in the corp ( though towards the end she was understudy to a main role). However rehearsals can be anytime between 1-6pm on a Sunday and you can often only needed for two hours so possible to fit in other things. DD often did associate class in the morning before going to rehearsals later on. 

It is a huge commitment - dd has decided not to audition this year, as (if she had got through, which she didn’t last year) it would have prevented her doing various musical activities that she loves, as well as missing a family holiday. The other thing to take into account is that the touring company has more dates, I think usually at the start of September, so that impinges on the beginning of the school year.

Here is the link to the rehearsal schedule.

https://www.londonchildrensballet.com/files/5015/6820/3499/Rehearsal_Schedule_2020_Provisional_Schedule_FINAL.pdf

It takes up virtually every Sunday for six months of the year and most of the holidays.

The tour rehearsal dates will vary - I was not able to find out the dates - but these are less intensive in terms of time commitment but I have heard they are very dance intensive so worth it for the experience.

Good luck to all those applying.

Thanks. That is super helpful, margarite and confuddled. I've

deferred her ballet exam to next year just in case she gets through to the finals but we signed her up for the Rad competition which if she gets through, she's going to have to miss or some miracle has to happen with the rehearsal schedule. Then there are the associate classes she has and would miss at least 5. 🤪🤪 This is all very difficult. That is, of course, assuming she gets through. It looks very competitive. Over 700 kids for 56 spaces... If she doesn't get through, then there is no issue 😁😁😁

Was 14 always the Upper age limit for girls? Boys get til 16 I see....

Saw one Production a few years ago.... very very good!

Good luck to those auditioning....wish I’d looked at this for DC years ago when young enough! 

Edited by Peanut68
Added text

2 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

Thanks. That is super helpful, margarite and confuddled. I've

deferred her ballet exam to next year just in case she gets through to the finals but we signed her up for the Rad competition which if she gets through, she's going to have to miss or some miracle has to happen with the rehearsal schedule. Then there are the associate classes she has and would miss at least 5. 🤪🤪 This is all very difficult. That is, of course, assuming she gets through. It looks very competitive. Over 700 kids for 56 spaces... If she doesn't get through, then there is no issue 😁😁😁

It was a huge, huge commitment, but possibly one of the most exciting and memorable events in DD’s life and she didn’t want the whole experience to end. Well worth every moment for us too, despite having every weekend devoted to shuttling her around ( she had Saturday associates too) and many an hour spent nursing stewed cups of tea in various cafes.

Edited by margarite

18 hours ago, Newdancermum said:

Here is the link to the rehearsal schedule.

https://www.londonchildrensballet.com/files/5015/6820/3499/Rehearsal_Schedule_2020_Provisional_Schedule_FINAL.pdf

It takes up virtually every Sunday for six months of the year and most of the holidays.

The tour rehearsal dates will vary - I was not able to find out the dates - but these are less intensive in terms of time commitment but I have heard they are very dance intensive so worth it for the experience.

Good luck to all those applying.

Thanks for posting this as it's changed slightly from the one I had previously saved 🙂

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 20:28, margarite said:

It was a huge, huge commitment, but possibly one of the most exciting and memorable events in DD’s life and she didn’t want the whole experience to end. Well worth every moment for us too, despite having every weekend devoted to shuttling her around ( she had Saturday associates too) and many an hour spent nursing stewed cups of tea in various cafes.

Where were the rehearsals?

8 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

Where were the rehearsals?

Mainly at Central in Farringdon ( but think Central have moved now?) and also at Pineapple, Jerwood and Rambert on South Bank and also Wayne McGregor in Stratford. This was for the 2018 production.

Edited by margarite
Detail

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 07:47, margarite said:

Mainly at Central in Farringdon ( but think Central have moved now?) and also at Pineapple, Jerwood and Rambert on South Bank and also Wayne McGregor in Stratford. This was for the 2018 production.

Central haven't moved yet - they're still fitting out the new building.

There was a voluntary contribution to costumes, shoes and LCB t-shirt ( around £70 I think) which those on low incomes were not expected to pay, but you had to pay your own travel expenses. As the rest of the experience and all tuition was completely free, it seemed very fair.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2019 at 11:57, lightening said:

May I ask again about half term and Easter holidays rehearsals starting time, afternoon or earlier morning please? trying to know as much as possible befor we applying, thank you 

Hi, for "Ballet Shoes" the half term rehearsals ran from 10am to 5pm but children might only be called for one or two scenes for 2 hrs slots and not called everyday of the holiday,(although might be if in a lead role).

Sunday rehearsal ran from 1pm to 6pm- again children may only be needed for a couple of hours but nearer the end of rehearsal schedule they will be needed when full run throughs start.

Venues last year were predominantly Central School of Ballet and English National Ballet School and the half term sessions were at a school near Grenfall Tower.

It's a big commitment but so worth it as a wonderful and very special performance experience for the children involved.

Good luck to all those auditioning!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sally-Anne said:

Congratulations - it’s an achievement in itself to make the final!

Yes, it's great news. Congratulations to your DD too! Do you know how many get to the final audition? I know they're looking for 60 in total, but wondered what her chances are of getting in (managing expectations!)

Edited by Keoghcar
Grammar

1 hour ago, Keoghcar said:

Yes, it's great news. Congratulations to your DD too! Do you know how many get to the final audition? I know they're looking for 60 in total, but wondered what her chances are of getting in (managing expectations!)

Not sure, but my DD got this far last time and then didn’t get in, so we are prepared for that. It is very competitive!

Edited by Sally-Anne

33 minutes ago, Sally-Anne said:

Not sure, but my DD got this far last time and then didn’t get in, so we are prepared for that. It is very competitive!

Same here for both DDs and for DD1 it was her second Final in a row and last chance due to age. My (speculative) impression is that anyone who makes Finals has proved they have the dance ability and they are then looking to match dancers to the roles they have in mind for the Production (although of course casting formally happens at a separate, later date). Huge congratulations to your DC!

Hello, for those of you with children who auditioned last weekend, when did you receive notification that they were through to the final audition? DD auditioned today and made it to the recall audition (further than last year). Just curious as when to expect the yes/no email for the final. Thanks

Hello, I hope I'm asking the question in the right thread but has anyone from last Sunday (20th) LCB's auditions heard about finals?

DD was recalled on the day for 2nd audition and now waiting to hear if she's recalled for final one. Thank you! 😊

12 minutes ago, StephB said:

Hello, I hope I'm asking the question in the right thread but has anyone from last Sunday (20th) LCB's auditions heard about finals?

DD was recalled on the day for 2nd audition and now waiting to hear if she's recalled for final one. Thank you! 😊

Hi StephB, our DD was recalled as well and no, we haven’t heard anything yet about finals. Hope to hear something soon. Maybe they have taken the week off for half-term? 🙂

Not heard here either. Last year it took 10 days between first day to hear about finals but we were expecting to hear today as the previous week’s audition results were released in 4 days. Oh well, glad not to have a ‘no’ tonight to manage. I might give them a ring on Monday to find out when we might hear. Good luck to everyone waiting for news!