Any parking tips for Northern Ballet Leeds

HowMuch!

DD is just there at weekends ... sometimes I just drop her off and go and park at asda to do my shopping and then arrive back in time to pick her up as she waits outside but I don't know anywhere local! A friend said she drops off and then parks in a local housing estate, but I don't know where! X

• Like 1

Use public transport!  The parking fees in Leeds are bad!!!  The bus station is a 3 minute walk from NB's HQ.

I've just re-read your post.  Dependent on the time of your DD's classes the parking at the John Lewis car park is £3 for the evening after 5pm.  It's about a 5 minute walk from there to NB's HQ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HowMuch! said:

I had wondered about John Lewis! That might be a better plan and that way I can have a coffee and read my book!

thank you!

The cafe in the Atrium of NB's HQ is open to the public and can be good for dancer watching!

On the main road opposite the bus station Cafe 164 is good.

There's also a Pret in Victoria Gate and over the road in the Victoria Quarter the espresso bar outside Harvey Nicks has excellent service and a nice atmosphere even though more pricey.  Depending on how long you have to kill time San CoCo on Briggate near the Grand Theatre is great and (if you are having a sandwich) the bread is divine!

2 hours ago, Damedolly said:

Where is a nice pool in Leeds, this is something I thought about doing x

I think it was called the John Charles Centre. Had a large pool where the uk diving team train. There was lane swimming most evenings and free parking. About 15mins from Northern Ballet. 

Yorkshire Dance have some exercise classes too which fit at the right time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueLou said:

If you’re going to park in the ncp next to NB make sure you have plenty of coins. The card paying option very rarely works and the machines don’t take notes. Not only is it expensive, they don’t make it easy for you to pay. 

which NCP  would that  be ? 

NCP the Markets  i've never had a problme with card payments 

the  parking  directly by  Northern / Quarry Hill Ministry of Truth  building  is Leeds council and the card payment option rarely works 

2 hours ago, NJH said:

which NCP  would that  be ? 

NCP the Markets  i've never had a problme with card payments 

the  parking  directly by  Northern / Quarry Hill Ministry of Truth  building  is Leeds council and the card payment option rarely works 

Sorry - I meant the Quarry Hill one. It’s not NCP, it’s Council as you say. It is the closest to NB. I think i’ve paid to re-surface that car park over the years, but it’s still a bomb site. And the machines don’t work. And it’s expensive. But i’m lazy, so i’ll carry on parking there and moaning a lot 😂

• Like 2

If anything, this thread has made me feel better that i’m not alone in my grumpiness at the parking charges! 😂

Seriously though, it pretty much adds up to the same as an extra class each week! But, perhaps it’s worth it? One week of northern ballet classes and there’s a huge difference in her already! I wonder what they do to them in there? 😂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

I’ve been doing this too but being a yorkshire-woman, i’m adding up the 25p charge for using the app! 😂 

me too!  😂

I only use it, if the card reader isn't working! I find the machines at the top of car park as you come in from A64 ( not past NB ) are usually working! 

I did look into DD using the train!  but factoring in getting to and from train stations and times of trains ... it's still just about cheaper and easier to drive the hour and park! We live too far away for the buses to be any use.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pixiewoo said:

me too!  😂

I only use it, if the card reader isn't working! I find the machines at the top of car park as you come in from A64 ( not past NB ) are usually working! 

I did look into DD using the train!  but factoring in getting to and from train stations and times of trains ... it's still just about cheaper and easier to drive the hour and park! We live too far away for the buses to be any use.

We live in Leeds but annoyingly too far away so i’d end up dropping off, driving home and then straight back again! Plus DD has a medical need which means I need to stay close by. 

8 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

If anything, this thread has made me feel better that i’m not alone in my grumpiness at the parking charges! 😂

Seriously though, it pretty much adds up to the same as an extra class each week! But, perhaps it’s worth it? One week of northern ballet classes and there’s a huge difference in her already! I wonder what they do to them in there? 😂

that building is on  ballet ley lines or  something ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PutYourBooteesOn said:

Eurgh we have been grumbling about this too as we have northern and royal- and the parking app fee, haha. It’s so expensive.... I’m considering coming in by train in warmer months but for the middle of winter DD would be soaked/frozen by the time she got to class from the station. 

Could you use the bus?  The bus station is much closer to NB’s HQ.

We've been travelling to Northern Ballet for over four years now, and have almost solely used the train. It's a fast ten minutes walk from the station, means no dealing with the one way system, car park charges etc and now the daughter is older she can travel independently which is great preparation for going away. Obviously she would prefer to be driven there and back, especially back, but she's used to the train now and regular commuting has really helped her mature. Not possible for everyone I know, and it isn't cheap either, but it's really helped my time management!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

We used to park in the car park at the back of Northern when ours was a JA at Royal, think it was £3 or so.

That’s where I park but I end up needing to pay for 2 hours and it’s twice a week so it’ll start adding up - c£70/term which could pay for another class!

It’s just a bit frustrating and i’m a bit grumpy that there aren’t really any other options. 

12 hours ago, oliviaT said:

Crown point retail park is 5 minutes drive away even in rush hour and parking is free. It’s a while since I’ve been but I think you can only park for a set amount of time. There are a few shops and a Costa. 

I had wondered about this as an option. She’s got a medical need which means I need to be nearby but if it’s only 5mins that might be ok.