Is Tring Easter course good for ballet only girl?

Happymum

My DD does lots of ballet classes but she doesn't do other types of dances ( well she does a street dance style class for fun ). I just noticed that Easter Tring course includes tap and modern. Maybe I'm wrong and they offer a classical ballet only, but if not will my DD be able to participate? Or would you say that she needs several tap lessons first? I really want her to do a boarding ballet course in 2013 and she is only 9 so too young for RBS

The Tring Easter course is a lovely mixture of ballet, tap, modern, repertoire, and if I remember rightly, one or two musical theatre classes. When my dd was 9 the modern was easy in technical terms (although demanding in terms of stamina required!) so it wouldn't matter whether your dd had had modern classes. I think some tap lessons may be beneficial though, because although it's not tricky tap I can imagine it would be difficult if your dd has never done any tap at all. It's a lovely experience though and I can recommend it. :-)

Definitely beneficial to have had a few tap lessons to start with to make her feel more comfortable but not absolutely necessary When my DD went last year almost half the class she was in weren't tappers. My DD found this a bit frustrating as she is an advanced tapper, but they are organised on their ballet grade not tap and modern.

Your DD will not be the only one doing tap for the first time, its a good fun course and she might really enjoy it.

Thank you for the reply. It's good to know that she won't be the only tap beginner, but I'll probably organise some tap lesson for my DD and maybe also check with the school what they think. And I also would like to know how soon I need to apply, how hard/easy it is to get a place at the course and how do they decide? Do we send photos with the applications? Do they offer places to their associates first?

I don't think the application forms are online yet, as Tring are still advertising the Xmas Ballet weekend. I expect it'll go up after Xmas. Best to apply quickly as its a popular course but I don't think you pay in full initially. No photo's with the application last year, just a dance history, grades etc. I think its a first come first served allocation of places. The standard of teaching is high however the standard of dancers attending is very varied but its great fun. They get taken to London to see a musical one evening (Mama Mia) last year and they have a talent competition. I would say its not a particularly technical course, there's no pressure on the students.

Just to add, my DD is very 'ballet' orientated but she is a strong all rounder. This course didn't stretch her technically at all but she really enjoyed the atmosphere and the boarding experience, basically she loves being at Tring. She can't wait to do the Easter course again next year but she will be doing a separate more technical ballet summer school too.

Edited by Loulabelle
  • Like 1

My dd did the Easter course last year and loved it. She does tap , jazz and ballet but there were plenty there who hadn't tapped before. She was in the youngest group and at least 4 girls didn't have tap shoes. Saying that the tap was not particularly challenging though! Probably to cater for all the different abilities.

She wants to board this year as I felt she was too young last time. I am glad I got to see the girls dorms at the recent open day. It makes feel happier about her boarding for the week.