ROH opera seating

JNC

Hi hope I've put this in the right place and that it doesn't get overlooked! 

I'm thinking about starting going to more opera at ROH. However the prices are a lot more than ballet which really restricts me to pretty much the lower/upper slips, as well as SCS tickets (if I can get them!). 

I have never sat in the lower/upper slips and would be happy to give them a go for opera (and really don't have much choice otherwise...) as unlike ballet I feel you don't need to be centre facing. However my one concern with all the cheap places (slips/SCS, side stalls circle) is can you still see the 'subtitles'. I would find it impossible to follow along without these (I mean I'd get the general gist I'm sure but I don't know opera or italian/french/german well enough to understand what they're saying). 

In short - is there adequate provision to see 'subtitles' while sitting/standing in the upper/lower slips and stalls circle (standing and at the extreme sides)? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I can't answer for wrt standing places but I've never had trouble with seeing surtitles from either lower or upper slips seats - I haven't sat in front row upper slips seats nearest the stage but think they should be OK. The lower slips seats nearest the stage have small screens on the ledge in front of you, which you can turn off if you find them distracting.

A couple of other things: lower slips seats are more comfortable but the sound in the upper slips is IMO the best in the house; and, all other things being equal, go for the front row seats as far away from the stage as possible.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alison said:

The legroom in the front rows of the upper slips is a bit restricted, if that's a concern.

Good to know. I think for the prices I am willing to give it a try, but thanks for the tip. 

Also: if you've not sat there before, the drop in front of you down to the stalls below is a bit disconcerting at first. People do adjust quickly though, unless heights are a particular worry. (I'm not fond of heights - am very cautious on cliff paths etc - but have no trouble with the upper slips.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Also: if you've not sat there before, the drop in front of you down to the stalls below is a bit disconcerting at first. People do adjust quickly though, unless heights are a particular worry. (I'm not fond of heights - am very cautious on cliff paths etc - but have no trouble with the upper slips.)

Thanks! I am not a fan of heights so this could be a bit of a worry but I’m willing to give it a try...! 

Perhaps maybe the second row or lower slips though...it honestly depends on what tickets are available when I book as I know cheaper tickets tend to be the first to go...

I frequently sit right at the back of the amphi for opera. You get a full-on view of the entire  stage, you avoid the dreaded crick in the neck that comes with the sideways view from the slips, as there’s no one behind you can hoist yourself up on cushions to see past any taller people directly in front of you and, as with the Coliseum, the sound quality is excellent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Not the back row. But not that many seats. 

Yes only 5 seats! I am willing to give a shot but it honestly depends on what is available on general booking day...perhaps even nothing in my price range! 

This is Fidelio by the way, I note there is better seat choices/pricing for La Traviata/La Boheme (both of which I have actually seen before). I can understand Fidelio's popularity but is it really fair to justify such increased prices just because they know it will sell due to Kaufmann? I guess there are similar discussions around pricing for Sleeping Beauty vs some of the mixed bills in ballet, but honestly Opera really takes the biscuit, even at Sleeping Beauty prices I would get more than the very back of the amphi for £40. I guess my bank balance should thank me I'm more of a ballet fan...at these prices it's looking highly unlikely I'll be able to afford Fidelio to be honest. 

Thanks all for advice, I definitely feel more informed now. At general booking I'll be looking for upper/lower slips, balcony standing or very back of the amphi. Anything available under £30, apart from SCS where you can't see the subtitles. 

13 minutes ago, JNC said:

This is Fidelio by the way, I note there is better seat choices/pricing for La Traviata/La Boheme (both of which I have actually seen before). I can understand Fidelio's popularity but is it really fair to justify such increased prices just because they know it will sell due to Kaufmann?

The Traviata is a 25 year old production which is not cast very starrily (it seldom is these days at ROH). While the Boheme production is only a couple of years old, there has already been a lot of performances, the production doesn't seem to have inspired the affection its predecessor did, and sales have been OK but not outstanding so far as I can tell. Casting is again a bit so-so: Yoncheva and Castronovo are certainly names to opera regulars but I'm not sure how many tickets will be sold on the back of their presence. (FWIW I like Castronovo a lot, and think Yoncheva once showed plenty of promise but has been reckless with her repertoire choices.)

Fidelio on the other hand is a new production, which tends to bump the price up substantially for opera at least. Kaufmann is a big draw and he is very good indeed in this repertoire; but there is also a lot of hype around Davidsen - completely justified IMO - and as this will be her first Fidelio there will be plenty of interest from that angle - she's the main reason I'm planning to go, and I know others of the same mind. Additionally, it's been a while since Fidelio was on at ROH and while my personal view is that it's a dog's breakfast of an opera (the composer at both his best and his worst) Beethoven fans will be keen to see it. So for me, the justification for high prices is about as good as it gets.

I don't think they'll have any trouble shifting tickets, so if I were you I'd prioritise it when booking opens. I doubt you'll be able to get the good Balcony standing tickets for it so I'd head straight to the amphi/slips part of the map.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Fidelio on the other hand is a new production, which tends to bump the price up substantially for opera at least. Kaufmann is a big draw and he is very good indeed in this repertoire; but there is also a lot of hype around Davidsen - completely justified IMO - and as this will be her first Fidelio there will be plenty of interest from that angle - she's the main reason I'm planning to go, and I know others of the same mind. Additionally, it's been a while since Fidelio was on at ROH and while my personal view is that it's a dog's breakfast of an opera (the composer at both his best and his worst) Beethoven fans will be keen to see it. So for me, the justification for high prices is about as good as it gets.

I do understand why they have priced it so...for all the reasons you mention. It will sell very well, I have no doubt. 

I think my point was more that at these prices you are definitely pricing out a lot of people. I understand there are seats available at £30/40 and under but it's such a small proportion, and I wonder at the availability on general booking. This means I will either have to be very quick off the mark and lucky, or will simply not end up going due to being unable to afford £50+ tickets. I am beginning to resign myself to the fact that it looks unlikely there will be these cheaper tickets available at general booking to be honest. 

I completely understand that ROH needs to make money, and does this by spreading the cost among more/less popular productions across ballet/opera, but I'm really disappointed they can skew their stats (x number of seats at £25 and under or variations of this etc) across all productions, rather than fairly distributing x% at each production. I do know that opera does cost more than ballet and I accept the reasons for this, and I think La Traviata/La Boheme are priced fairly (if not still higher than I would be able to afford but at the level where I could budget and go to a performance or two a season). However if Fidelio style prices continue I will be priced out of opera (or unable to get tickets in my price range due to lack of availability which is practically the same thing) if this continues. And I haven't even really started going properly yet! 

I guess at least there is an option of a live cinema stream for this one if I don't get tickets, but I really do want to experience it in person if possible. Cinema streams are a great alternative but ultimately not the same for me as a live performance. 

• Like 1

It's actually slightly cheaper than last season's Forza, I think, and there are generally fewer than a handful of productions which are priced as expensively each year.

I do have sympathy with what you're saying, but I think for most people as ever it just comes down to priorities. And please remember that ROH isn't the only opera game in town!

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

It's actually slightly cheaper than last season's Forza, I think, and there are generally fewer than a handful of productions which are priced as expensively each year.

Maybe the seats you sat in are cheaper for Fidelio than they were for Forza but, sadly, the front side amphitheatre seats are, most certainly, not cheaper than they were then..  I've just checked and I paid £41 for front side amphitheatre seats for Forza.  Those same seats are £57 for Fidelio!

Edited by Bluebird

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:13, Newdancermum said:

It's a long time since I stood at the back of the stalls for opera but from memory I can't recall being able to see the surtitles.

I've done it relatively recently, and could see the surtitles on the overhead screens (but not the above-stage ones).

• Like 1