• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you SO MUCH for those links, Anna! Reminds me how much I love, love, love this version of R&J (and I don't really usually like long "story ballets" so much ...) Lucky people seeing this production - it looks amazing in rehearsal.

8 hours ago, redshoesgirl2 said:

a video on instagram shows so many empty seats! 

Verona arena capacity is 30,000 people although only 15,000 are allowed due to health and safety reasons apparently.  cf ROH less than 2,300.  Or did you mean Belgrade?

Edited by maryrosesatonapin

2 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Verona arena capacity is 30,000 people although only 15,000 are allowed due to health and safety reasons apparently.  cf ROH less than 2,300.  Or did you mean Belgrade?

it was a short vid posted by one of the dancers - caption said a few minutes before the show. i think it must have been the angle of the shot because later pics showed thousands of people.

it's hard to imagine all the work, the time and effort it took to put on this production for just one night. whatever i think of polunin's politics and antics, this was quite an amazing undertaking. 

5 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

There were over 9000 tickets sold and the empty seats referred to are presumably the ones the arena cannot sell as they are behind and alongside the stage.  All the numbered reservable seats were sold out one month ago.  There could have been 2,000 more of the stone terrace seats sold, but 9000 is pretty good compared to some of the operas I have attended there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

There were over 9000 tickets sold and the empty seats referred to are presumably the ones the arena cannot sell as they are behind and alongside the stage.  All the numbered reservable seats were sold out one month ago.  There could have been 2,000 more of the stone terrace seats sold, but 9000 is pretty good compared to some of the operas I have attended there. 

I’ve been told the maximum capacity is 12,000 for insurance purposes.  And I can see why - R&J started nearly 20 minutes late due to arena coping with getting people to their seats in time.

Although that may have been exacerbated by the backward ticketing system where if you had booked online you couldn’t ‘print-at-home’ but had to queue once to pick up your physical tickets and then queue again to get into the arena.  Hopeless!!

I can assure you the arena seats were full when the show started -perhaps the videos panning around where taken before everyone was in.  There are plenty showing it full.  

I’m travelling back today so no time to write a review yet.  Lots to say!   In short - Johan Kobborg is a genius.

• Like 6

and Johan’s notes in the programme

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

I’ve been told the maximum capacity is 12,000 for insurance purposes.  And I can see why - R&J started nearly 20 minutes late due to arena coping with getting people to their seats in time.

Although that may have been exacerbated by the backward ticketing system where if you had booked online you couldn’t ‘print-at-home’ but had to queue once to pick up your physical tickets and then queue again to get into the arena.  Hopeless!!

I can assure you the arena seats were full when the show started -perhaps the videos panning around where taken before everyone was in.  There are plenty showing it full.  

I’m travelling back today so no time to write a review yet.  Lots to say!   In short - Johan Kobborg is a genius.

The number attending/tickets sold has been updated to 10,000

14 hours ago, Naomi M said:

I think it is a bootleg so I am not sure if it is ok to post the link here but there are a couple of videos on YouTube from last night's performance, the entrance scene and balcony. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK36CDZpVSc&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dkg8NSHIfo

The balcony scene PDD is BEAUTIFUL.  Totally convinced me re the actual story, 13 years old Julia's fears, doubts, desire and finally total commitment to the person she fell in love with.  What a beautiful choreography!!! 

Edited by Sabine0308

5 hours ago, redshoesgirl2 said:

just looking at the videos that are out there, curtain calls etc, i gotta say, black long dresses for all the women seems like a bad choice. especially at the distances people have to view the stage. they simply fade into the shadows. but that's my aesthetic.

The costume theme for the Capulets was black and so the masked ball were all dark costumes.  Lady Capulet’s was actually a deep red under black sheer top layer.  

My seat was low down in the stalls and I had no problem seeing all the dancers against the arena backdrop when dancing.

Considering the team had to perform WITHOUT even one lighting rehearsal, due to the arena’s full programme, this was an incredible first attempt.

Edited by FionaE
Typos!
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FionaE said:

The costume theme for the Capulets was black and so the masked ball were all dark costumes.  Lady Capulet’s was actually a deep red under black sheer top layer.  

My seat was low down in the stalls and I had no problem seeing all the dancers against the arena backdrop when dancing.

Considering the team had to perform WITHOUT even one lighting rehearsal, due to the arena’s full programme, this was an incredible first attempt.

The team were also not given time for a full stage rehearsal.  So the quality of lighting, spacing finish  etc cannot be compared to the finish of a big company production with multiple rehearsals in n advance on stage, in costume and with lighting/stage crew etc 

Given all this it’s amazing what they did achieve in such a short time and it’s due I would think to Johan’s clear vision and forward planning of full run-throughs with the set on the stage at the National Theatre of Belgrade 

21 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I was sort of getting into their PDD  until I noticed Putin peering out from Polunin's chest, as if spying on western ballet audiences.....it rather ruined the moment for me! 

Polunin Verona.jpg

I don’t even notice his tattoos anymore, I just see the dance, beauty, elegance, emotion.  In the same way that I don’t notice disabilities that my friends have.

The younger generation love his rebelliousness.  And he is only 29 himself.   

• Like 1

@FionaE sorry what younger generation are you referring to? I presume you mean the Russians perhaps (although I’m not sure you or anyone without having spoken to a significant chunk of people would be qualified to make this remark). 

Speaking as a ‘young person’ (younger than Polunin anyway) getting a tattoo of someone’s head on your body (regardless of who they might be) is a bit moronic...I do think it’s a shame, the same way if Matthew Ball for example decided to get a tattoo of Boris Johnson on his body (!) this would ruin the beauty of a performance a bit for me if you could see it. I note that the majority of dancers appear not to have tattoos and I hope it stays that way! But perhaps other people, young or old, may not care as I don’t really care for tattoos generally anyway. 

Anyway if someone actually went to see the performance would very much like to hear their reports, I don’t want this to turn into a love/hate Polunin thread. 

(I know I have added to irrelevant discussion about Polunin in this post but I wanted to make the point that not all young people love his ‘rebelliousness’.)

• Like 13

The photos posted by Kobborg on Instagram look fabulous.  I can’t wait to hear about it!  It doesn’t seem like any British critics made the trip to fair Verona so I will look for some Italian ones.  

• Like 4

At risk of causing an avalanche... watching those videos, I am mostly struck by the loss of finesse in Polunin's dancing. I'm not talking about the 'wildness' of his interpretation - I have always enjoyed his performances and find his characterisation passionate, naturalistic, and quite captivating - and his ballon is still a thing to behold. I don't need princely restraint from this role. But at many points, there is an evident lack of precision and polish in much of the actual dance quality - the landings; the pirouettes; some of the partnering - which I find a rather sad reminder of greatness let slip away. It's still there in glimmers, but what could have been...

I know many will disagree, but especially compared to the (still) incredible brilliance and delicacy of Cojocaru's dancing - and I hold my hands up as a lifetime devotee, though not without good reason, I think - for me, there is a distinct gap that appears.

(And as another member of the 'younger generation' - frankly people can tattoo themselves wherever they want, but I find his rebelliousness nothing short of childish. Again, each to their own heroes!)

Other than that - it looks utterly fabulous, and I'm devastated to have missed it. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

Fiona - this link didn't work, for me at least.  I'd have liked to read what Johan had to say as he is an artist I have admired and respected for decades.  I feel he is always worth listening to.

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

I don’t even notice his tattoos anymore, I just see the dance, beauty, elegance, emotion.  In the same way that I don’t notice disabilities that my friends have.

The younger generation love his rebelliousness.  And he is only 29 himself.   

My daughter is 28 and she doesn't love his rebelliousness!! 

• Like 5