BA Dance under 18s

Mamaderuby

Hi. 

My daughter will complete her Spanish Bachillerato  (A levels equivalent) in June 2021 and was hoping to apply to one of the UK colleges for entry September 2021. She will not turn 18 until November 2021. Does anyone know if that will exclude her from schools such as Performers, Urdang, LSC, or LIPA?

We have been looking at the degree courses rather than diploma as she would be entitled to student loan (for tuition). Although, of course, with Brexit looming, she may not be entitled to loan anyway. 

I have contacted those schools directly and Performers have said that for degree course she does have to turn 18 on or before September 1st of entry year. I have not heard back from other schools yet.

Any input would be appreciated.

Royal conservatoire of Scotland definitely take students under the age of 18 for degree course ( ballet at least) as I believe it is usual for students to apply during year 11 ( last year of GCSE for entry the following September). This is not an issue and the student loan is available to them. I’m not sure about the other schools you’ve mentioned but the same is also true for central and I  believe the RBS course is now a degree course for upper school, so clearly it is possible but may be down to the individual establishment.

Edited by along for the ride mum
Autocorrect

1 hour ago, Mamaderuby said:

Hi. 

My daughter will complete her Spanish Bachillerato  (A levels equivalent) in June 2021 and was hoping to apply to one of the UK colleges for entry September 2021. She will not turn 18 until November 2021. Does anyone know if that will exclude her from schools such as Performers, Urdang, LSC, or LIPA?

We have been looking at the degree courses rather than diploma as she would be entitled to student loan (for tuition). Although, of course, with Brexit looming, she may not be entitled to loan anyway. 

I have contacted those schools directly and Performers have said that for degree course she does have to turn 18 on or before September 1st of entry year. I have not heard back from other schools yet.

Any input would be appreciated.

Have you considered enquiring at Birds College? Obviously it’s not classical training but offer elite MT training like the others institutions you’ve listed. They offer both Diploma Level 6 for the 16yrs + and the BA(Hons) for 18yrs+. Only last yr they offered a place on the degree course to a young lady wasn’t going to turn 18 until the following March due to funding issues she was experiencing. The diploma was going to cost £13,800 but the degree course like all others was £9,250. Shows that they are flexible. Other institutions may have their hands tied due to child protection issues for pupils under 18 along with requirements for degrees and loans. 

Good luck. 

Edited by balletbean

Balletbean, 

That is good to hear about 17 year old being accepted to BA at Birds. My daughter turns 18 in the November and will have Academic and (hopefully) dance requirements. So it would seem a pity to "waste" a year of her time, and my finances doing a foundation year (if she doesnt need to) just for being born 2 months too late! . Although she loves ballet and contemporary, she seems to be leaning towards jazz/modern theatre. She has recently started singing lessons to give her an edge at auditions for MT type schools but her first love is dance.

If anyone has any experience of foundation year , please share.

I was going to suggest the Foundation Year.  I have second-hand experience of it at Millenium via dd’s friend who went at 16 to start the Degree course and found it a very big leap, both academically and physically, so moved onto the Foundation year and did very well.  She is now at another of the places mentioned doing the degree and is coping much better. 

If I remember rightly, at LSC you have to be 18 and have the equivalent of 2 A Levels to start their degree course.  

22 minutes ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Accommodation is another thing to consider. If the school does not provide then you may have to source. ENB, for example, provide a list. Only certain places permit under 18s. 

So much to think about! I have been looking online to get an idea of options. Chester House looks lovely. There are Urdang and LSC students living there. It is expensive (IMO) but includes breakfast and evening meal. A big plus for first time living away from home. LIPA have a recommended list of accomodation including some for under 18s. A much lower cost than London.  Not sure about Bird or Performers college. Lots more research to be done..

As DD is Spanish/Irish, we will not be eligible for maintenance grant/loan, so rent/cost of living also a consideration.

Preston College Dance offers a 3 yr degree course from 18 but with the option to join from 16 on the fully funded pro dance course then at 18 transfer onto the degree course! ! Big ISTD focus plus teaching qualifications but the students do well finding work on completion with cruise companies etc!