Words that come out wrong - for fun

annaliesey

I felt that you guys would be the only people I know that can share in this humour. I tried to tell the story to my husband but he just looked at me a bit blank! 🤣 

so my dd has this habit when we are driving back from ballet in the car of speaking out loud some of the sequences in a sing song voice of the steps in a freework routine. She marks these out with what we call t-rex arms 

Three times now over the space of a month she’s just substituted a word for something French without meaning to. I don’t know if she actually says these words in her head whilst she’s actially dancing which I find quite amusing if it’s a visual learning or memory thing but it went like this ..

first time it was something something bonjour something something. 

I piped up with “did you just say bonjour?” Yes she said, giggling away. 

then it was “something something baguette” I can’t remember what this was a substitute for 

and lastly it was something something sissone duvet instead of doublee 

I was like “did you just say duvet?” Haha 

please tell me she’s not the only fruitcake out there :) 

• Like 5

I loved the perfect description of ‘T-Rex Arms’ when marking steps with arms - made me smile as so relatable! 

I often substitute a word into a sequence to remind me/pupils of performance elements such as style/mood etc....

A favourite of mine is ‘Paparazzi’

which I use when there’s that lingering pose into something like a tombe or a run... when just holding it that moment longer will really get you noticed & those flashbulbs popping!! 

A perfect time when I cry ‘& Paparazzi!” is in Variation 1 of the RAD Intermediate! 

• Like 4

Brilliant :) 

its better than hers of “smell the fart” which a teacher gave her to act out someone being elaborate and dramatic with a hint of a smile! 

A different teacher used to say “show me your necklace” which was much nicer for me but didn’t produce the same drama! Haha I’m sure they were both inter variations (going to look it up now)! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I loved the perfect description of ‘T-Rex Arms’ when marking steps with arms - made me smile as so relatable! 

I often substitute a word into a sequence to remind me/pupils of performance elements such as style/mood etc....

A favourite of mine is ‘Paparazzi’

which I use when there’s that lingering pose into something like a tombe or a run... when just holding it that moment longer will really get you noticed & those flashbulbs popping!! 

A perfect time when I cry ‘& Paparazzi!” is in Variation 1 of the RAD Intermediate! 

I substitute words too, or make up silly little songs and  jingles that fit the music and act as a prompt for the style or rhythm or dynamics. I had a song for the Inter second pointe enchainment  and a jingle for the Allegro 2. The teacher in the RAD summer intensive this year had lots of good stylistic prompts: "Jimmy Choo" "Bond villainess" "samural sword".

Does anyone know any of the traditional songs that there used to be for some variations? I can only remember  something about "never follow Baranova or you'll end up in the back row of the Wilis" and was there one that maybe involved a supermarket in Weston-super-Mare? I can't even remember which dances they went with - though it would be a good quiz for dancers.

• Like 1