Mamaderuby

Lara Spencer comments re Prince George (ballet shaming)

Posted (edited)

Her lame "apology" is another insult. It doesn't come from the heart. And she deleted all comments/turned the comments off. How low is that!! I agree that she should apologize on TV, just where her mocking happened! Takes courage of course.

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

John Clifford on Facebook has made a lovely post of him when training some boys a few years back at Vaganova Washington school with a piccie of Oscar Frame ( son of balletcoforum poster) among others. Wish I could get it here but don't know how to do links from Facebook.

Don't know if this will work:

(The account is public)

• Like 4

Magic Janet! Thanks so much I liked what he said 

• Like 1

It's really amazing how some of these American celebrities think they know so much about the royal family, and have some sort of proprietary rights over all Diana's descendants. Who does this woman think she is, telling Prince William how long his son will be interested in ballet, and what does it have to do with anything anyway? This should be used - if it's going to be used at all - as a way for the media to be supportive of boys doing ballet, not as a way to sneer and poke fun.

• Like 2

I wonder whether she would have apologised if she had made a similar remark about another boy, i.e. not popular Prince George, doing ballet. So disingenuous. Sadly the prejudice is deep rooted

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Many well-known dancers have made great statements, like James B. Whiteside, M. Baryshnikov, St. McRae, just to name a view. Also, Gene Kelly's wife, Debbie Allen and many many more. I love that these days, this community sticks together, and defends their colleagues and friends and speaks up for future male dancers and against bullying in any kind!!! Yes this backfired!!💪💪💪💪

Edited by Sabine0308
  • Like 4

A lot of women dancers have too, Sabine. Who would they dance with if there were no male dancers? Ms Spencer needs to stop making cheap shots and actually discover just how demanding ballet is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fiz said:

A lot of women dancers have too, Sabine. Who would they dance with if there were no male dancers? Ms Spencer needs to stop making cheap shots and actually discover just how demanding ballet is. 

Yes of course! Maria Khoreva was one of them.❤

• Like 1

Okay she apologized. I believe she has learned a lesson. Sadly, pretty late in her life, fortunately, not too late. 

If all journalists who said stupid things apologised afterwards, our screens would be one long mea culpa.

I just hope the audience who laughed, and all those who laughed with them, will also have thought again. This isn't about Lara Spencer, it's about the public perception of boys/men in ballet. And this episode might actually have brought about some good in the end.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bridiem said:

If all journalists who said stupid things apologised afterwards, our screens would be one long mea culpa.

I just hope the audience who laughed, and all those who laughed with them, will also have thought again. This isn't about Lara Spencer, it's about the public perception of boys/men in ballet. And this episode might actually have brought about some good in the end.

She chose to act the way she did so she is responsible for her behaviour. Everyone has responsibility for their own behaviour. 

She got called out for bullying for belittling a young boy.

lets home the bullying dance teachers out there now recognise their actions as “bullying” too because the whole dance community has made their voice heard very loudly. Hopefully they’ll reflect before they use the words “it’s the dance world”. Hmmm 

• Like 3

That GMA clip is awful. The presenter is just plain ignorant of UK education practices, in addition to being rude about ballet (also religious studies). I am loving my Instagram feed of all the recordings of the mass ballet class in Times Square. I've just been in New York - oh I wish I could have stayed on to participate! I saw some of my favourite NYC-based teachers there. 

Sometimes, this sort of gaffe can actually serve to promote the very thing that was ridiculed. This is one of those times. Bravo and brava to all the dancers in Times Square.

• Like 9

Unfortunately the ignorance doesn't end there... RAD Australia posted this on Facebook yesterday.

"The discussions regarding male dance continued in the US overnight with the latest outrage coming as Fox News reported on recent events in a less than sensitive manner. The male anchor said he was “razzed” for wearing tights when he took ballet as an adult for an acting career. But then went on to say that ballet is “not exactly the exemplar of the male form” and that “I hope she offends a mechanic next time so the boys can learn how to change their oil.” (clip in link below) 
Obviously, the voices of the entire global dance community have not been heard loudly enough. RAD Australia continues to stand with all those who are calling out such shocking attitudes and believes we must do what we can to highlight the fact that bullying and ignorance will not be tolerated.
#RADProjectB #boysdancetoo"

With this video