The Joyce Theatre Programme D August 2019

Ballet Festival at The Joyce Theatre Programme D  Fri 17th August

Programme curated by Edward Watson

The anticipation of a whole evening featuring and curated by Edward Watson had me sitting on the edge of my chair from the opening bars of Qualia Pas de Deux until the close of the programme.

In fact, owning up to my gushing fandom and the real reason I flew 3,459 miles will not come as a surprise to anyone who knows me. Following an injury which has kept Watson off the RB stage for over 18 months, it was a joy to watch him and see him fully fit and better than ever.

This evening of works by some famous, some lesser known choreographers created an overall ambience of elegance and finesse. With the super talented Sarah Lamb, Robbie Fairchild and Maria Kowrowski joining Edward Watson on stage, this evening was destined to be amazing from the get go.

First Half:

Qualia Pas de deux

Choreography: Wayne McGregor

Music: Scanner

Danced by Edward Watson and Sarah Lamb, in their brief Calvin Klein briefs and vests, tortured expressions, weird manipulations, sexy yet otherworldly, a mating ritual of contortions and very very beautiful.

Assume Form

Choreography James Alsop

Danced by Robbie Fairchild to an original track 'Assume Form' by James Blake, this jittery low key contemporary piece showed how controlled Fairchild is when he dances, from small shakes of his finger tips, to skewed leaning balances which he pulls back at the last minute, a minor piece but a memorable one.

All My Song

Choreography : Laila Diallo

Music ' Les Pleurs' Mr de Sainte-Colombe performed live by Jodi Savali on viola da gamba

and 'Are You Lonesome Tonight' by Elvis Presley

costume: Jean-Marc Puissant

In simple white silk shirt and grey silk trousers, Sarah Lamb evoked a tale of loneliness tempered with tremendous inner strength, her dancing showing her determination, the beautiful plaintive viola music drawing out elegant lines of dancing.

3 With D

choreography: Javier de Frutos

Musician Dan Gillespie Sells, Pianist: Patrick Gallagher

Music: 'I Can Give You the Starlight' Ivor Novello,

'The Man I Love' George Gershwin, 'Down In The Depths' Cole Porter,

'Hides is Your Heart' by Gillespie Sells

Dancers: Edward Watson and Robbie Fairchild, on stage with Dan Gillespie Sells on guitar and singing. Accompanied by Patrick Gallagher on piano.

You have all heard of singing the Blues. Fairchild and Watson danced the Blues, painting a mood of love, bitterness, love, hate, longing and a final kiss of such tenderness as their relationship comes to a sad, so sad ending........

And breath. Then clap like crazy....

Second Half:

CRISTAUX

choreography: Arthur Pita , part 'a' commissioned by Ballet Black 2016

music 'Dreaming and Upward Sky' by Frank Moon

Costumes: Yann Seabra

Part a : danced by Sarah Lamb and Robbie Fairchild

This work is like a beautiful dream with a star ( Lamb) spinning into your orbit, dazzling across the heaven of your gaze, encircling another celestial being ( Fairchild) , and fleetingly mesmerising us with utter grace. A work of pure genius in my opinion. Lamb's beautiful crystal encrusted costume in pale moonstone grey, with a tiny double layered tutu, added to the supernatural ambiance. The duet is the introduction to further parts....

Part b :

Music: Sunlight/Impossible Human by Bev Lee Harling

Dancers: Maria Kowrowski , Edward Watson

Kowrowski's dress by Lez Brotherston

This opens with Kowrowski kneeling and basking in the glorious rays of an amber light, a sunset glow which lights up the golden dress she wears with twinkling rays. Her partner Watson leads her through a contemporary dance of lightness and grace, a love duet which is simply divine.

Part c

Music 'Symphony in C, Adagio by Georges Bizet, arranged by Frank Moon

Dancer: Edward Watson

In silver tights and a crystal encrusted, head-covering mask, Watson glides through sensual steps

in a solo of starry 'otherness' , a being from another planet who comes to share a moment with us mere mortals. The adagio from Symphony in C, in Balanchine's choregraphy, has been described as moonstruck elegance, this was its counterpoint and harmony. Watson leaves the stage and descends fleetingly into the aisle, into the audience, as the light fades.....

Cristaux is a work by Pita which I believe is his 'Jewels' , a masterpiece danced by stars.

Thank you to all the dancers and musicians and crew who made all of this possible

PS (You know I love a PS..) I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Martin Harvey who I have not seen for a long time, ( married to Maria Kowrowski) who was in the audience, so friendly and so good to see him.

Edited by alison
To correct text
  • Like 8