Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet autumn season 2019

I sat on the back row of the circle for Les Miserables at the Hippodrome. It was fine sight-wise, but I would definitely want to be further forward if I went again, it just felt a long way away!

Edited by Rachelm
  • Like 2

Not too late at all, Lizbie1, so thank you.

Another question - maybe one for Jan... is the Hippodrome good at putting returns online?  The performance I have my eye on has one (and only one) seat available that's pretty acceptable to me (yes, an expensive one - but having sold on half my RB Coppelia tickets in order to go on holiday, I could certainly run to it) but am wondering whether it's crucial that I snap it up now, or whether it's a safe bet that odd returns will turn up elsewhere if I keep checking?

And while I'm on the subject, some of you fellow Londoners or others not in the immediate vicinity of Birmingham may be interested to know that the final performances in the Nutcracker run, on 14th December, have been re-timed to 1pm and 6pm.  This makes the evening performance much easier to get home from than usual, with a variety of route options.

Edited by RuthE

I have picked up returns online before now; it’s usually easier with a single (I’ve even managed to get the odd one on the front row!).  The thing is though that the Hippo won’t accept returns unless the show is sold out (along with many other theatres) so the ones that turn up tend to be when someone hasn’t been able to use a subscription ticket.

• Like 1

All sorted!  And had a stroke of luck re seat availability...  thanks to the Hippodrome website going down about an hour ago, just as I was trying to book my one "good enough" ticket option.  I checked again just now and was able to get an aisle seat in the fourth row!  Even if I did have to phone them to get them to override the "must not leave a single seat available" rule.  Got a very chatty, very camp box-office assistant, who thought it was hilarious that I knew both a) the precise seat availability for that performance and b) my credit card number off by heart :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RuthE said:

And while I'm on the subject, some of you fellow Londoners or others not in the immediate vicinity of Birmingham may be interested to know that the final performances in the Nutcracker run, on 14th December, have been re-timed to 1pm and 6pm.  This makes the evening performance much easier to get home from than usual, with a variety of route options.

Ooh, thank you, Ruth!  Is it just that one date?  Wonder if Non Virgin Trains are offering any decent fares ...

Just now, alison said:

Ooh, thank you, Ruth!  Is it just that one date?  Wonder if Non-Virgin Trains are offering any decent fares ...

It is just that date, yes. There are fares as low as £6.40 each way on Chiltern, if you don’t mind the longer duration.

42 minutes ago, RuthE said:

All sorted!  And had a stroke of luck re seat availability...  thanks to the Hippodrome website going down about an hour ago, just as I was trying to book my one "good enough" ticket option.  I checked again just now and was able to get an aisle seat in the fourth row!  Even if I did have to phone them to get them to override the "must not leave a single seat available" rule.  Got a very chatty, very camp box-office assistant, who thought it was hilarious that I knew both a) the precise seat availability for that performance and b) my credit card number off by heart :D

I think I have dealt with the same guy at the Hippodrome Box Office.  He was very friendly and so helpful that he took the trouble to ring me back and point out that I had missed the Friends' discount on my seat so he had reduced my payment accordingly.

I have always found all the staff at the Box Office extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with.  It's just a shame that ringing them us so expensive and time consuming.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuthE said:

This discussion prompted me to have another look at ticket availability for the performance I was thinking about trying to get a ticket for on 5th December & I found a pair of 4th row aisle stalls seats available for that date too, so maybe they're house seats that have been released for multiple performances? As I can't phone the box office at the moment - I'm on a cruise ship leaving the Canary Islands & my signal will probably go soon - I booked both & will shortly be informing my mother that she will be accompanying me whether she wants to or not!

• Like 4