Summer Schools 2020 outside UK/British Isles

Ms Sunshine

I would love to hear about any ballet based Summer Schools outside of the British Isles. My dd is starting a boarding ballet school year 7 in a few weeks but would like to take her during her time off next summer on a bit of an adventure maybe to see another vocational school outside England. Being a day pupil would be a good option but open to idea's. Thanks in advance. x

There is Dar danse Morocco Summer School which I have heard is frequented by many British vocational students especially younger ones. We haven’t been ourselves but from what I’ve heard, it seems lovely and nurturing. There is a thread about it on this forum.

My DD this year won three scholarships through competitions  for various summer schools all in Italy as it happens.Because of the late finish of schools in the UK compared to most European school years, she was unable to attend the two of them, but did go to one with other members of her vocational school.

Longiano in Danza, inland   from Rimini (airport Bologna and a train ride and then another transfer laid on by the organisers). The youngsters, mostly Italian, were put up in a hotel with meals and pool in shared rooms. There were none of the chaperoning issues of minors as the organizers and hotel were working in close partnership to make sure the whole event is a success for this little town. There was a full and exciting program of classes with a high calibre of teachers.(Vadim Muntgirov did 2018) and this year the director of La Scala and many of his students were there. The youngsters enjoyed themselves in this wonderful little town, authentic pizzas and home made Italian ice creams galore, fireworks and concerts at night and a gala at the end with invited guests, seniors peforming and a Grande desfile  by the rest.

The other course in Italy of which I am acquainted is the Verona Intensive with Luca Tozzi and colleagues.

Further to this course,  I can recommend two courses in Lisbon, firstly the Intensives from the Escola de Dança de Conservatorio Nacional. These happen at Christmas, Easter and the summer. Guests and staff teachers giving classes, but no gala performance at the end.The ballet is mainly Vaganova.  Maybe parents get to see the last class of the week .  Obviously Lisbon is great for a tourist break and for family to sight see whilst the DC learns, but for unaccompanied there is a student residence, where my daughter spent four years living and they can sometimes absorb visitors for courses if requested.

The second course   in Lisbon  is run by an association Cursos de Dança Associação , currently using Jazzy Studios. there is a one or two week course. Those on the two week course get to perform at the end performance in the Museum de Oriente.The tutors are Vaganova trained and many are Russian. The former director of the EDCN gives teacher training alongside the other classes and runs regular teacher  training through the year. My DD has done two of these courses , because of the extra performance experience. Unfortunately those students in  many vocational schools may have some excellent teaching and obtain super technical skill, but too often artistic development falls well behind their colleagues in pastime schools who are competing and participating in festivals, eisteddfords, competitions, conventions and termly performances .( Or is it just me that thinks that? I volunteer in many competitions, national and international, and what I see there and what I have seen in vocational schools can be two different scales of skill. One comes super clean but cold, and the other exceedingly good but so much brighter and natural.)

Anyway back onto course abroad.... the internationally acclaimed school of Annarella Sanchez in Leiria,Portugal  runs courses and accepts visiting students 52 weeks a year. Local families can be found to look after children. The parents of the school can fund their own DC international competition entries all over the world by  playing host to your DC for a few weeks. You can be assured they will be fed, watered, and dance till they drop into bed, happily grande jeteying through their dreams. they do 6 weeks through the summer and at least two galas, where your DC can dance alongside world class children of their own age.My DD has attended twice. The teaching is  Cuban, predominantly, with many prominent guests visitors.

Other dance schools in Portugal also do summer schools... CDA in Faro( Vaganova), DNA in Coimbra(RAD), Richard D'Alton( Cuban/ American) did  his summer school this year in Paredes, Conservatório de Vale de Sousa  .Entr'artes in Braga  and many more , Aveiro Dance Festival,is a week of mixed activities and Companhia de Paulo Ribeiro run a contemporary lab.

The competition in Portugal of which I am part of the organizing committee has organised scholarships for various other countries and we are waiting for feedback from those who went, Canada, France, Croatia, Italy, Finland, and we are constantly trying to raise other opportunities, sometimes for holiday courses , other times audition opportunities, other times student exchange experiences. Some are more accessible than others for parents to support the other costs, but we try to provide a range of prizes for ages, and class specific, ballet , contemprorary, jazz or musical theatre etc. That way we can spread a little happiness a little further and the DC learns a little more from other people, from travel, makes friends and contacts in far off places and it builds overall confidence.

Friends have really enjoyed course in Brussels and of course there is Amsterdam .There are many more in Spain, and of course Russia, Estonia and Prague.

So I would heartily recommend looking at foreign courses. 

• Like 2

Wow Lusodancer, you are a fountain of knowledge - thx for sharing & interesting to see your take on vocational school training v what seems a more non UK approach of intensive coaching for competitions & shorter term courses....

it is so so hard to feel one is doing best by our DC.....

7 hours ago, capybara said:

The one run by Daria Klimentova (ex ENB principal and now RBS teacher) has been going for about 17 years and seems to have a good reputation:   http://www.balletmasterclass.com/pages/

The teachers include star dancers and ballet company directors.

Prague masterclass is for dancers over 17 years - an amazing experience for those lucky enough to go

On 16/08/2019 at 00:35, Peanut68 said:

Wow Lusodancer, you are a fountain of knowledge - thx for sharing & interesting to see your take on vocational school training v what seems a more non UK approach of intensive coaching for competitions & shorter term courses....

it is so so hard to feel one is doing best by our DC.....

Well Peanut 68 my DD has had experience of a number of schools, and other experiences and four years in one vocational school and now another, so  I am beginning to understand more of the belief systems, ethical practices and aesthetic criteria that sometimes dominate in some institutions over dancer development. Some are healthy for those who fit in, some are unhealthy environments if you are not built of the desired mould for whatever reason. So my advice is to see for your self and your DC and never rely upon secondhand information, useful though some tips can be.  Short courses and summer schools give a feel and my DD is now much more opinionated and knowledgeable about tutors, technique, class preparation, suitability of  repertoire applied  so I have to listen to her discerning voice. She knows better than I do what it feels like from the inside. 

• Like 2

Thank you Lusodsncer for this sound advice!

I absolutely agree that a measured stand back approach a good idea & important to see that if they only want you if you fit a certain mound then maybe walk away? All schools will want to mound into their ‘style’ to a certain extent but I am wary when body shape seems to be chief desired starting point....there just doesn’t ever seem enough time (or money or know how on my part!) to try ‘sample’ all with short courses/open days etc....

I hope your DD’s journey continues in a fulfilling, successful & happy way!

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Thank you Lusodsncer for this sound advice!

I absolutely agree that a measured stand back approach a good idea & important to see that if they only want you if you fit a certain mound then maybe walk away? All schools will want to mound into their ‘style’ to a certain extent but I am wary when body shape seems to be chief desired starting point....there just doesn’t ever seem enough time (or money or know how on my part!) to try ‘sample’ all with short courses/open days etc....

I hope your DD’s journey continues in a fulfilling, successful & happy way!

My DD does not fit the willowy body shape.  You learn this pretty quickly.  One choice is to stay away from the elite schools until ...later.

From what  Lusodancer writes, there are many accessible summer programs that have great teachers in the UK/Europe.  Similarly, in Australia, there is fantastic access to high quality teachers and big name schools/stars also come through regularly ( to the main centres) offering intensives.

It strikes me that top vocational schools can pick a class of 15 girls that absolutely look the part (and can dance). Their job is done if 2 of those have become exceptional by graduation and enter their affiliated company.

If you have say an athletic body and great talent then you may be rejected early and often!

If you can get through this and develop the grit to keep on pushing and developing yourself - then maybe this is the ideal training for professional life.

Our goal is to try for the elite schools at an older age, when everyone needs to show exceptional ability not just potential.

Beat them on the dance floor I say.

• Like 3