Sign in to follow this  
JNC

Birmingham Royal Ballet - Giselle - Autumn Tour 2019

5 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

...the whispering glory that is Hirata

How beautifully put!  I couldn't agree more.

'My only fear (and I realise things may be different in Birmingham - I don't know) is that BRB may be pricing themselves out of some markets'

I paid £44 which after the event I considered brilliant value for such an experience.  Equivalent or worse tickets for the RB triple bill were nearly twice the price.

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Top price at ROH for Swan Lake (all publicly available dates) is £145 - so not much in it.

I believe TwoPigeons was giving the price for TWO top price tix.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toursenlair said:

I believe TwoPigeons was giving the price for TWO top price tix.

Sorry - you're correct!

• Like 1

Geoff, here's a photo from today's British Theatre Guide's review showing the finale.  I believe Giselle is standing on small elevator platform.  Photo credit:  Bill Cooper.  If you look at the review by Vera Liber on Today's Links there are some other lovely photos of the production by Bill Cooper.

25-Momoko-Hirata-and-Cesar-Morales-in-Giselle-BRB-Credit-Bill-Cooper.jpg

• Like 6

Maybe that's an excuse for me to rehash my story from RB Touring Company days in the dim and distant.  It's a Swan Lake performance at some location, and the dancer doing the desperately pleading 'Odette' vision in Act III gets up on something altogether less stable than an elevator platform when, in mid-plead, it collapses beneath her .... somewhat spoiling the dramatic effect.  As the lineal descendants of that Company, BRB has perhaps learned from that night.

• Like 5

I remember during a performance of La Sylphide at the RB Sarah Lamb's platform failing, and instead of just rising up, she was going up and down until they brought the curtain down! 

• Like 5

Reading Lynette Halewood's review of this production on DanceTabs, with its lovely photo of the scenery of Act I, made me realise just how much of the scenery is missed from the seats at the back of the First Circle, and from front Second Circle, at Sadler's Wells - I could scarcely see higher than the top of the waterfall in both cases.  I thought I'd record that in case the production ever returns there - which I suspect is highly unlikely now anyway.