1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Thanks zxDave! I was extraordinarily lucky in that there was already a paramedic at the scene ( Pineapple studios) treating someone for a dislocated knee!! 

So he was able to give me a shot of morphine pretty quickly ...I was fine as long as I didn't actually look at it!! 

It was also a bonus that I was surrounded by friends of course .....a couple of whom and especially the paras were able to make me laugh!! A couple of them were even quite keen to join in the class that was trying to start!! One had done ballet as a child. That waltz from Cinderella( afternoon Rep) does tend to make you want to go floating off round the room!

Anyway enough of this .....I think this thread is called The BRIGHT Stream. Still waiting for my friend to report back!

Your courage BRIGHTENS this STREAM considerably, LinMM!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Chudin reminded me a bit of Muntagirov, in that he came over as inherently nice & I can't imagine him playing any villainous characters. 

He was good as the cruel Marquis in "The Flames of Paris".

• Like 5

Lin I am sorry to hear about your injury and wish you a speedy recovery.

Bright stream - thank you Mr Ratmansky for rescuing this Shoshtakovich score and to the orchestra for such vibrant playing.

But what joy and humour (and I needed both this week). Chudin also reminds me of Muntagirov - so charming last night as were the leading ladies. Skorvstov brilliant and made me laugh. Terrific all round.

What a shame it wasn't sold out. Was it last performed in 2010? I really hope these productions are not dropped completely. It would be such a loss to us.

• Like 4

Friend reported back that really loved the first Act but thought the second act was slightly over done but loved the dancing costumes sets music and some genuinely funny bits in the first Act but she thought it was being well received by the audience who all seemed to be enjoying it and finding it very entertaining. 

Does only the Bolshoi perform this ballet?

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Friend reported back that really loved the first Act but thought the second act was slightly over done but loved the dancing costumes sets music and some genuinely funny bits in the first Act but she thought it was being well received by the audience who all seemed to be enjoying it and finding it very entertaining. 

Does only the Bolshoi perform this ballet?

The Latvian National Ballet has danced it and American Ballet Theatre — in a production that used different sets and costumes. And as best I can remember ABT did not include the gigantic vegetables. I don’t know if any other companies have performed it. I thought ABT did a great job with it and ballet fans seemed to love it. I don’t think it did great box office the last time it was revived at ABT and it hasn’t been revived for a while.

• Like 2

I read an interview with the Hochhausers a few years ago which said that one of the reasons their arrangements with the Bolshoi and Mariinsky have endured is that both sides are comfortable with the balance between guaranteed sell-out shows (Swan Lake, principally) and the "riskier" shows (e.g. Taming of the Shrew, Bright Stream) which the touring companies feel more enthusiastic about bringing. I hope that following Victor Hochhauser's death that equilibrium is maintained.

Anyway: when I checked on Wednesday morning - well before I'd had an email offering discounted seats to the mailing list - there were maybe 250 seats left in total over both nights. I reckon that as a little under 95% sold with time still left on the clock - hardly catastrophic!

• Like 4

Well most of the critics seemed to like it and more than one has suggested should bring again and do more performances next time so hopefully they will!

As a slightly linked aside in that ABT perform this ballet too .....isn't it about time ABT came to UK it seems a while!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

Well most of the critics seemed to like it and more than one has suggested should bring again and do more performances next time so hopefully they will!

As a slightly linked aside in that ABT perform this ballet too .....isn't it about time ABT came to UK it seems a while!

That would be great, they were in Paris a couple of years ago and their Ratmansky Sleeping Beauty was great. I'd love to see them here again maybe the Dollar being so strong v Sterling may encourage a visit? Likewise I am desperate for The Mikhailovsky to return, it's 2013 since their last visit I think. 

• Like 4

Here are some Curtain Call photos from  Thursday 8th August - the 2nd performance of Bright Stream - apologies for the number but there ARE rather a lot of characters in The Bright Stream and all deserve accolade:-

EBr1F30XsAE023n?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ekaterina Shipulina and Ruslan Skvortsov

EBr1F4OXkAAaSBn?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Anna Nikulina and Semyon Chudin

EBr1F4pXsAAzkx0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Maria Mashina and Denis Savin

EBr1F5FX4AES7i1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ekaterina Zavadina and Alexei Putintsev

EBr2myHW4AAjnZd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Kristina Karasyova and Alexei Loparevich

EBr2myrX4AYwGEp?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ensemble

EBr2mzXW4AA2H0b?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Nikulina/Chudin/Shipulina/Skvortsov

EBr2mzaXsAAQrNu?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Mashina/Savin/Putintsev/Zavadina

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Here are some Curtain Call photos from  Thursday 8th August - the 2nd performance of Bright Stream - apologies for the number but there ARE rather a lot of characters in The Bright Stream and all deserve accolade:-

EBr1F30XsAE023n?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ekaterina Shipulina and Ruslan Skvortsov

EBr1F4OXkAAaSBn?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Anna Nikulina and Semyon Chudin

EBr1F4pXsAAzkx0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Maria Mashina and Denis Savin

EBr1F5FX4AES7i1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ekaterina Zavadina and Alexei Putintsev

EBr2myHW4AAjnZd?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Kristina Karasyova and Alexei Loparevich

EBr2myrX4AYwGEp?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Ensemble

EBr2mzXW4AA2H0b?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Nikulina/Chudin/Shipulina/Skvortsov

EBr2mzaXsAAQrNu?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Mashina/Savin/Putintsev/Zavadina

Sorry if I'm being thick but how do I see these?  Is there a link/URL I can use?

Linda

• alison changed the title to Bolshoi Ballet: The Bright Stream, 2019