Hammond Lower School Auditions for 2020

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as a mum of a DD going into year 11 at the Hammond this year , she has been there since year 7 and was lucky enough to win an MDS award following her audition all those years ago. I am a little dismayed that some on here are unhappy regarding communication etc - maybe I’ve missed something but we have been are still in the middle of a pandemic something we haven’t seen before and hopefully never will again so if the communication has not been what it should have well I think there is a genuine reason for it . The teachers and staff have been simply amazing providing both dance and academic work throughout for all of the students including the ones doing BA courses higher up the school , their hard work and efforts have gone a long way to keep their dancers sharp and focused . My own DD experience of this is very positive indeed , she has been able to keep her fitness going and continue learning to the level she needs in order to keep progressing. Whilst doing all of this for their current students they may not have had time etc to respond to emails and calls as they would normally do so , I have always found their communication to be really good throughout the years DD has been there .

• Like 3

@Lou78 

My comment regarding communication is based on our experience and I can assure you as people largely affected by the pandemic we have been nothing but understanding and patient during these times. Comparing to friends and other vocational schools I still feel let down regarding communication. Everyone's experience is their own.

It's great that they have been so wonderful for existing students and very reassuring for those starting their journey in September. Good luck to your DD in September and wishing her a bright future.

43 minutes ago, Lou78 said:

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as a mum of a DD going into year 11 at the Hammond this year , she has been there since year 7 and was lucky enough to win an MDS award following her audition all those years ago. I am a little dismayed that some on here are unhappy regarding communication etc - maybe I’ve missed something but we have been are still in the middle of a pandemic something we haven’t seen before and hopefully never will again so if the communication has not been what it should have well I think there is a genuine reason for it . The teachers and staff have been simply amazing providing both dance and academic work throughout for all of the students including the ones doing BA courses higher up the school , their hard work and efforts have gone a long way to keep their dancers sharp and focused . My own DD experience of this is very positive indeed , she has been able to keep her fitness going and continue learning to the level she needs in order to keep progressing. Whilst doing all of this for their current students they may not have had time etc to respond to emails and calls as they would normally do so , I have always found their communication to be really good throughout the years DD has been there .

My dc is about to go into y8 and my experience couldn’t be any more different - communication has been very difficult, they’ve simply ignored emails and phone messages all year round, not just since March. I agree that the provision for the students has been amazing though and we’ve eventually been able to get in touch with who we needed to by sending messages via dc! 

@Farawaydancer I think it’s all been a juggling act and do know a few teachers etc that have moved on Over the years ,the remaining ones have had to plug the gaps where possible until new ones have been recruited , this may have affected your DC’s year more than other year groups and I do know that pre March there was lots going on in regards to RAD exams , Modern exams and tap ones . Plus they were rehearsing for a show too at the Storyhouse in Chester . That said there is no excuse if they had been blatantly ignoring you and glad you manage to get through to who you needed in the end .

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Miss Tutu said:

oh really , have Hammond been in  touch with you ? How exciting 

Yes, had email about boarding preferences and details of new boarding houses 

The new boarding is in ex- university of Chester student accommodation - there are separate buildings for boys and girls. Looks much better, all rooms have en-suites. Quite a change from the homely, but slightly run down boarding houses!

• Like 1

Well not before time & imho long overdue! Could well be a factor though in there perhaps being less bursary support available? Money can only be spent once....I think investment in boarding however absolutely the right priority & hope all enjoy the improvements! 

Out if interest....are these in addition or instead of Hampton Lodge/Clovelly/Betty Hassell Houses?

Apologies - am being a nosey ex parent! 

30 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Well not before time & imho long overdue! Could well be a factor though in there perhaps being less bursary support available? Money can only be spent once....I think investment in boarding however absolutely the right priority & hope all enjoy the improvements! 

Out if interest....are these in addition or instead of Hampton Lodge/Clovelly/Betty Hassell Houses?

Apologies - am being a nosey ex parent! 

It’s instead of them. The principal’s letter said that the old boarding houses will no longer be used.

@Peanut68 the only house to be kept is Betty Hassall, the rest are to be sold. They are making sure the photos from Hampton are still going to be displayed though in the new accommodation. Its a part of the schools history and current students still want to see it 

• Like 1

It struck me at the time that the latest (ugly & odd) extension to Hampton was throwing good money away....

I rather hope some super rich person buys it & reinstates it as a grand residence....but there would be much of the horrid additions to remove....& dare say high demand for rooms in Chester....

Probs will become bedsits? 

Am sure one day Hammond will get permission/enough land Ownership to actually build purpose built boarding on the Hoole Bank site....

Though must add, our kids did have ‘best of both worlds’ living where they could walk into city centre at weekends & the ‘bus to school’ gives an element of normality & differentiation between ‘home’/school....

I just really struggled with the grottiness  of Hampton - especially the rear entrance/hallway/kitchen. 
But, think it’s provided many with lots of stories to entertain their grandkids in years ahead!! 

I hope they never build accommodation on site at the Hammond as I think the children need the distance between school and ‘home’! Being able to walk into town from house was fabulous, it made the children feel very independent at a very young age.

My dd has said it has been discussed in school previously that they hope to build purpose built accommodation on site with top of the range facilities. She was in Hampton  this year and much preferred it over Betty Hassal, clothes always came home smelling of damp. Shes looking forward to the new uni accommodation and hoping she gets a single room 

@Calea hopefully you've heard by now as I belive the emails are trickling though now. My dd is desperate to be back, shes missed everyone very much. Has your dd been in touch with the rest of her yeargroup? If there's anything we can help with feel free to message. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Flower said:

Are you one of the lucky ones?

No unfortunately. We had enough funding raised for first year but for a number of reasons, including the current uncertainty with covid, decided to wait until upper school xx

• Like 1