Hammond Lower School Auditions for 2020

Izzy_Ballet

35 minutes ago, margarite said:

In my daughter year 7 class (Sept 2018) there were 18 dancers and one drama. Just over half had MDS. 
in Year 8 seven joined but two left, so year group totalled 24. I think there are 6-8 joining this September a mixture of dance and drama, so it will rise to roughly 30 for year 9.

I hope you manage to find some funding for your daughter. Fingers crossed x

Thanks @margarite

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Bothballet said:

The current year 7 had 16 dancers and 5 drama/music students when they started. 2 have left during the year so currently 19 in Year 7.

Oh well maybe normal for year 7 intake this year then. Fingers crossed for everyone still trying to raise funding xx

• 2 weeks later...

Do check what T&C’s you’ve signed up to with registration for this if any school/course with Sept start date. By simply not paying may not protect you if you’ve actually signed what could be construed as a contract or written ‘significant intent‘ to join as that might make you liable for the first terms fees that they could (let’s hope none would) go after you for....and if schools are suffering financially in these challenging times their governing boards & finance masters may indeed force hands to chase for any contractualMy agreed payments!!!

CHECK!!!  
and good luck to all still hoping to secure places/funding at any schools x

15 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Do check what T&C’s you’ve signed up to with registration for this if any school/course with Sept start date. By simply not paying may not protect you if you’ve actually signed what could be construed as a contract or written ‘significant intent‘ to join as that might make you liable for the first terms fees that they could (let’s hope none would) go after you for....and if schools are suffering financially in these challenging times their governing boards & finance masters may indeed force hands to chase for any contractualMy agreed payments!!!

CHECK!!!  
and good luck to all still hoping to secure places/funding at any schools x

Absolutely. My child applied for a place at an independent secondary school and we paid a deposit of £500. Following successfully gaining a place at vocational school we withdrew but were liable (& were chased for) the first term’s fees in lieu. The deadline in that case for withdrawing was the first day of the Summer Term. 

We have neither formally accepted nor declined, we are at peace with DD not going as we have found their communication extremely poor, call me crazy but if we are paying for schooling the one thing I would hope we could rely on is a decent communication. Has anyone had or requested feedback from the DC audition?

Those still hoping we have everything crossed for you 🤞🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dancemum1 said:

We have neither formally accepted nor declined, we are at peace with DD not going as we have found their communication extremely poor, call me crazy but if we are paying for schooling the one thing I would hope we could rely on is a decent communication. Has anyone had or requested feedback from the DC audition?

Those still hoping we have everything crossed for you 🤞🤞

Not this year but my DS applied in 2018 and the only feedback we got when I asked was a phone call. They didn’t give me that many proper reasons either, it was all things that would have come as he had grown. They said he did not have enough muscle and upper body strength, and now two years on, he’s a lean mean muscle machine! 😂 We could never have afforded it without bursaries or MDS anyway so it’s worked out ok. (Even though he was distraught at the time).
Remember not all the top dancers went the vocational route. There’s more than one way to crack an egg! DS is still dancing and has been able to expand his repertoire more than he could have had he gone to Hammond. Sending (((hugs))) We’ve been there...xx

• Like 2

I would say that sometimes those with MDS' might still find a fee remission better if they are high earners. MDS is still means tested, so if a high earner has MDS they may ask to hand it back in return for a fee remission. This happened previously, so 🤞 for everyone. X

16 hours ago, Dancemum1 said:

We have neither formally accepted nor declined, we are at peace with DD not going as we have found their communication extremely poor, call me crazy but if we are paying for schooling the one thing I would hope we could rely on is a decent communication.

This is one of many reasons we handed back an MDS place after two years.

9 hours ago, Ballet bun said:

I would say that sometimes those with MDS' might still find a fee remission better if they are high earners. MDS is still means tested, so if a high earner has MDS they may ask to hand it back in return for a fee remission. This happened previously, so 🤞 for everyone. X

We tried and were told it wouldn’t be possible.

7 minutes ago, Ballet bun said:

@elfinwas that for this year entry or a couple of years ago, seems mad not to take a fee with remission and give the MDS to someone else. 

It was three years ago. We asked as we had heard it had been previously done, but  were firmly told it wouldn’t even be considered so happily took our MDS award!

I can't see any MDS awards been handed back this year now, assume they would have already been handed back unless someone's circumstances have changed. Still keeping our fingers crossed for some miracle funding though xx

10 hours ago, Milzmam said:

I can't see any MDS awards been handed back this year now, assume they would have already been handed back unless someone's circumstances have changed. Still keeping our fingers crossed for some miracle funding though xx

I *love* your eternal hope Milzmam. If I do win the lottery we’ll fund your place too 😘

• Like 1

There seems to be a few places reading this that may come available to DC on waiting lists, if people are going to hand back very late, hopefully it will not be too late for those DC on reserve to accept, if they are in a position to at that late stage.  I would also recommend reading contracts, as a parent having children at independent schools, once you pay that initial deposit to accept their place- you are normally committed to the first term and the first term fees....

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as a mum of a DD going into year 11 at the Hammond this year , she has been there since year 7 and was lucky enough to win an MDS award following her audition all those years ago. I am a little dismayed that some on here are unhappy regarding communication etc - maybe I’ve missed something but we have been are still in the middle of a pandemic something we haven’t seen before and hopefully never will again so if the communication has not been what it should have well I think there is a genuine reason for it . The teachers and staff have been simply amazing providing both dance and academic work throughout for all of the students including the ones doing BA courses higher up the school , their hard work and efforts have gone a long way to keep their dancers sharp and focused . My own DD experience of this is very positive indeed , she has been able to keep her fitness going and continue learning to the level she needs in order to keep progressing. Whilst doing all of this for their current students they may not have had time etc to respond to emails and calls as they would normally do so , I have always found their communication to be really good throughout the years DD has been there .

• Like 3

@Lou78 

My comment regarding communication is based on our experience and I can assure you as people largely affected by the pandemic we have been nothing but understanding and patient during these times. Comparing to friends and other vocational schools I still feel let down regarding communication. Everyone's experience is their own.

It's great that they have been so wonderful for existing students and very reassuring for those starting their journey in September. Good luck to your DD in September and wishing her a bright future.

43 minutes ago, Lou78 said:

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as a mum of a DD going into year 11 at the Hammond this year , she has been there since year 7 and was lucky enough to win an MDS award following her audition all those years ago. I am a little dismayed that some on here are unhappy regarding communication etc - maybe I’ve missed something but we have been are still in the middle of a pandemic something we haven’t seen before and hopefully never will again so if the communication has not been what it should have well I think there is a genuine reason for it . The teachers and staff have been simply amazing providing both dance and academic work throughout for all of the students including the ones doing BA courses higher up the school , their hard work and efforts have gone a long way to keep their dancers sharp and focused . My own DD experience of this is very positive indeed , she has been able to keep her fitness going and continue learning to the level she needs in order to keep progressing. Whilst doing all of this for their current students they may not have had time etc to respond to emails and calls as they would normally do so , I have always found their communication to be really good throughout the years DD has been there .

My dc is about to go into y8 and my experience couldn’t be any more different - communication has been very difficult, they’ve simply ignored emails and phone messages all year round, not just since March. I agree that the provision for the students has been amazing though and we’ve eventually been able to get in touch with who we needed to by sending messages via dc! 

@Farawaydancer I think it’s all been a juggling act and do know a few teachers etc that have moved on Over the years ,the remaining ones have had to plug the gaps where possible until new ones have been recruited , this may have affected your DC’s year more than other year groups and I do know that pre March there was lots going on in regards to RAD exams , Modern exams and tap ones . Plus they were rehearsing for a show too at the Storyhouse in Chester . That said there is no excuse if they had been blatantly ignoring you and glad you manage to get through to who you needed in the end .

• 2 weeks later...

Well not before time & imho long overdue! Could well be a factor though in there perhaps being less bursary support available? Money can only be spent once....I think investment in boarding however absolutely the right priority & hope all enjoy the improvements! 

Out if interest....are these in addition or instead of Hampton Lodge/Clovelly/Betty Hassell Houses?

Apologies - am being a nosey ex parent!