Jump to content

Hammond Lower School Auditions for 2020


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SpinningBoy said:

Still haven’t submitted our form. I am sure I posted my son’s passport and birth certificate photocopies at the first stage - but can not remember!!!! Does anyone else feel they’ve already done that? 

Yes I did that when I completed registration forms and paid the fee after the first audition x

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke to the registrar yesterday confirming she had received our paperwork. I think the issue is that anything that was submitted prior to lockdown so 23rd March & in this case when accepting offer & being put forward for MDS. So the forms you have been re sent, the originals are at the school & due to the newish GDPR regs being so tight she can not take them home to work from. That is why you may have been sent another copy. Hope this helps. I was told they are having big virtual meeting tomorrow re boarding. We had to say today if we want boarding (my DD has MDS so not waiting) I presume this went to all MDS offers, maybe after they know how they can run boarding houses with social distancing they can speak to those on WL.... 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Betty’s mum said:

I spoke to the registrar yesterday confirming she had received our paperwork. I think the issue is that anything that was submitted prior to lockdown so 23rd March & in this case when accepting offer & being put forward for MDS. So the forms you have been re sent, the originals are at the school & due to the newish GDPR regs being so tight she can not take them home to work from. That is why you may have been sent another copy. Hope this helps. I was told they are having big virtual meeting tomorrow re boarding. We had to say today if we want boarding (my DD has MDS so not waiting) I presume this went to all MDS offers, maybe after they know how they can run boarding houses with social distancing they can speak to those on WL.... 

Thanks @Betty’s mum for update. At least we know they are working on getting things sorted if they have had communication with MDS people. Fingers crossed WL people will hear something soon xx

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Milzmam if I hear anything more I will post it here... But yes it looks like they are on it. I for one would not want to be co-ordinating all of this. I work I a boarding school myself and i can assure you that just adds another host of issues to planning for a return. Take care & don’t give up....

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Betty’s mum said:

@Milzmam if I hear anything more I will post it here... But yes it looks like they are on it. I for one would not want to be co-ordinating all of this. I work I a boarding school myself and i can assure you that just adds another host of issues to planning for a return. Take care & don’t give up....

Thanks xx

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Betty’s mum said:

I spoke to the registrar yesterday confirming she had received our paperwork. I think the issue is that anything that was submitted prior to lockdown so 23rd March & in this case when accepting offer & being put forward for MDS. So the forms you have been re sent, the originals are at the school & due to the newish GDPR regs being so tight she can not take them home to work from. That is why you may have been sent another copy. Hope this helps. I was told they are having big virtual meeting tomorrow re boarding. We had to say today if we want boarding (my DD has MDS so not waiting) I presume this went to all MDS offers, maybe after they know how they can run boarding houses with social distancing they can speak to those on WL.... 

thank you x

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Milzmam said:

Wonder if anyone will hear anything this week? Hope everyone had good weekend xx

The forms said to be returned by June 5th. I had presumed that they would wait until all were in to go through them and make decisions. Maybe I’m wrong. We haven’t sent ours back yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Flower said:

The forms said to be returned by June 5th. I had presumed that they would wait until all were in to go through them and make decisions. Maybe I’m wrong. We haven’t sent ours back yet. 

Yes I did think that but was hoping they would get back to people before then, maybe that is just wishful thinking! Xx

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is probably a lot going on behind the scenes as someone mentioned the other day about boarding etc, The Hammond is slightly different as 11-16 stay in boarding house 16-18 stay with hosts and +18 stay independently imagine sorting that out for social distancing though the BA are distant in their own little BA Block they share the teachers etc all of this will have to be sorted in line with the Government guidelines if and when they are released They teased a statement beginning of April for residential regarding children and by the look of it nothing since, the Hammond will be waiting like the rest of us on how to go forward in these strange times  ... we too are sadly waiting, waiting and waiting but when We think about what the implications are and what they may not / be able to do they may not be able to take in fully to Christmas.......... , who knows what will happen tomorrow 😢. We will just keep plodding and keep our fingers crossed 

Edited by WrapsnBows
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Milzmam said:

Wonder if anyone will hear anything this week? Hope everyone had good weekend xx

Sadly I think it is going to be a long while until we hear.  I am hoping the June date was left on the forms from a previous year, but that is probably very wishful thinking!  I suspect there will be a big meeting after 4 June to look at who has returned forms, and then it sounds as though fee remission (bursary is a much nicer word) will be offered firstly on basis of the audition marks.  So again difficult to know what chance there is when we have not been told where dc's are on the reserve list. 

 

Important however to remember there is always hope, evident from many reports of generous bursaries and last minute offers of mds awards in previous years, so some will be lucky.  It is all a painful & difficult process, but I have stopped feeling so stressed about it all.  Chance of a lifetime, but not the be all and end all.  As others have said, there are many other paths to take.  On the positive side, I get to keep a beautiful daughter and a beautiful place to live if this path does not work out. 

 

It has really helped to follow this forum, realising many others are going through the same thing, and to be offered the hope and support of wise words and stories of success.  Thank you.

 

Good luck.  Here is to good news in a few weeks time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ellera said:

Sadly I think it is going to be a long while until we hear.  I am hoping the June date was left on the forms from a previous year, but that is probably very wishful thinking!  I suspect there will be a big meeting after 4 June to look at who has returned forms, and then it sounds as though fee remission (bursary is a much nicer word) will be offered firstly on basis of the audition marks.  So again difficult to know what chance there is when we have not been told where dc's are on the reserve list. 

 

Important however to remember there is always hope, evident from many reports of generous bursaries and last minute offers of mds awards in previous years, so some will be lucky.  It is all a painful & difficult process, but I have stopped feeling so stressed about it all.  Chance of a lifetime, but not the be all and end all.  As others have said, there are many other paths to take.  On the positive side, I get to keep a beautiful daughter and a beautiful place to live if this path does not work out. 

 

It has really helped to follow this forum, realising many others are going through the same thing, and to be offered the hope and support of wise words and stories of success.  Thank you.

 

Good luck.  Here is to good news in a few weeks time.


I don’t know if it has been discussed on here or not, but I know some schools will let you know where you are on the list... Has anyone asked, I think in this situation you could try your luck. I am sure the school will understand if you want to get a realistic picture of chance etc. (Although surprises can still happen down the line) I got the impression from your post you were looking to move closer to school for the place, if this is so then a really good reason to ask for more information as moving obviously needs a lot of planning (I may have totally got the wrong end of stick) x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at this forum in previous years it looks like people have received bursary offers quite quickly after MDS offers so there is still some hope we might hear before June. Am I right in assuming only MDS children have been contacted about boarding or has anyone else, ie full fee paying people??

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2020 at 09:59, Betty’s mum said:


I don’t know if it has been discussed on here or not, but I know some schools will let you know where you are on the list... Has anyone asked, I think in this situation you could try your luck. I am sure the school will understand if you want to get a realistic picture of chance etc. (Although surprises can still happen down the line) I got the impression from your post you were looking to move closer to school for the place, if this is so then a really good reason to ask for more information as moving obviously needs a lot of planning (I may have totally got the wrong end of stick) x

Thank you for your kind suggestion.  I have tried to get info on the reserve list situation, emailed them to ask a few days after MDS acceptance date as they had indicated they could answer queries then.  I explained we could really do with knowing as needed to make decisions that would affect our whole family etc.  They did not reply and subsequent correspondance said very clearly they would not be able to respond to individual queries.  I have also tried to ring many times, and no answer on phones for as we know the school site is closed. 

 

We were expecting to downsize our home to help pay for fees, as even with MDS we could not afford them otherwise-we had decided this is what we should do to give dd the opportunity.  This probably is not going to be necessary now! Which to be honest is sad, but also in some ways a bit of a relief.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dancemum1 said:

We too felt the indication was that they would give more info after the deadline date however they have actually given very little and we really have found communication disappointing to say the least.

It is frustrating that the only method of communication at the moment is email as it would be much better to actually talk to someone at this current time. I do appreciate things will be different this year due to current situation however our children have been offered places and if we could all afford it they would be going regardless of funding and therefore I really think they should be communicating with everyone the same. Fingers crossed for something soon, hope everyone is staying safe xx 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2020 at 17:16, Pups_mum said:

This is always a stressful time of year for parents and young people, and I think it is even worse this year because of everything else that is going on. But some basic truths remain, though they can be very hard to see when you are right in the thick of things.

There are many roads to Rome. And many destinations that are just as lovely as Rome that you may not have even thought of yet.

Yes, it is really, really, tough when your child has their heart set on a particular school at a particular time and it doesn't come to fruition, especially when they have got so tantalisingly close, but please don't see it as their dream being over. My DD is an adult now, and I have been posting on this board, and its predecessor, since she was failing to gain a JA place in year 6 I think. In that time I have lost count of the number of DCs who have reached Rome by a different route or who have discovered that despite being absolutely certain at 11 that they wanted to go to Rome above all else, Munich is really where their heart lies.....

If your child has been offered a place at this stage, even without funding, then they clearly have potential. There will be other years to try again, and then at 16 and even 18 whole worlds of new opportunities open up. I think that both in real life and online I know of far more young people who have taken the "scenic route" to their final destination than those who have joined their preferred school in year 7 and sailed through. Youngsters develop at different rates. Those who are "not quite there" at 11 may later pass those who look like they have everything going for them at the same age. Not to mention puberty - there are always winners and losers in that particular lottery. 

So taken some time to grieve for what cannot be today, and then look to tomorrow for what is still to come.

I cannot agree with this more ! Sometimes it must be thought of as ‘it wasn’t meant to be’ or perhaps a ‘lucky escape’.  There are most definitely more roads to Rome, and often ones that keep your child close to home, with family  and still with a strong love for dance, creativity, passion and drive. Explore all the routes, before taking what looks like the ‘fast track’ . 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ellera said:

Nothing here either.  Gut feeling is it will be June before we hear anything.  More waiting...........

I think you might be right which doesn't give much time for anyone to sort out parental contribution as until we know if we are actually getting any fee remission I can't do anything as don't know how much I will need to raise or even if it is going to be possible as i cant raise full fees. Previous years have had this info by end of April, appreciate things more difficult this year but some communication would be good. I am unfortunately losing all hope as the time goes by. Hope everyone is staying safe xx 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Milzmam said:

I think you might be right which doesn't give much time for anyone to sort out parental contribution as until we know if we are actually getting any fee remission I can't do anything as don't know how much I will need to raise or even if it is going to be possible as i cant raise full fees. Previous years have had this info by end of April, appreciate things more difficult this year but some communication would be good. I am unfortunately losing all hope as the time goes by. Hope everyone is staying safe xx 

Yes.  I have thought about trying to fund raise and have looked at charitable trusts (without any success so far, as they all seem to support community arts projects not individual students) but as you say very difficult to know what to do when you don't know the situation and how much you need to raise.  Like you we absolutely cannot raise full fees, and even half fees would be a massive stretch.  Just going to have to go with the flow, I have come to the conclusion if it's meant to be it will be, and if it does not happen this year we will be preparing for Year 8 audition.  The system feels stacked against those of us without big incomes, as if we were rich we could just go the route of paying the full fees at this stage.  It is a shame there are not more MDS awards and charitable trust support available; sadly the arts are not a high priority for Government and this is only likely to get worse after Covid 19. We can only do the best we can for our talented Children, and keep on trying and keep on exploring different routes and options.  If we give in to the system because it is so impenetrable, it will never get any better for those in the future.  Anyway good luck and good health to everyone, I am sure there will be some good news soon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ellera said:

 

Yes.  I have thought about trying to fund raise and have looked at charitable trusts (without any success so far, as they all seem to support community arts projects not individual students) but as you say very difficult to know what to do when you don't know the situation and how much you need to raise.  Like you we absolutely cannot raise full fees, and even half fees would be a massive stretch.  Just going to have to go with the flow, I have come to the conclusion if it's meant to be it will be, and if it does not happen this year we will be preparing for Year 8 audition.  The system feels stacked against those of us without big incomes, as if we were rich we could just go the route of paying the full fees at this stage.  It is a shame there are not more MDS awards and charitable trust support available; sadly the arts are not a high priority for Government and this is only likely to get worse after Covid 19. We can only do the best we can for our talented Children, and keep on trying and keep on exploring different routes and options.  If we give in to the system because it is so impenetrable, it will never get any better for those in the future.  Anyway good luck and good health to everyone, I am sure there will be some good news soon.

 

You have possibly looked at this site but incase you haven't seen it.

 

http://educational-grants.org/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/05/2020 at 17:41, junedancer said:

 

You have possibly looked at this site but incase you haven't seen it.

 

http://educational-grants.org/

Thank you for this, unfortunately the charities seem to have very narrow criteria.  I found one that sounded right, but when I emailed them they do not give grants for education at specialist arts schools.  But very useful to know about, as many seem to offer support if you get into financial difficulties with fees-so could come in useful in the future. Thanks again.  xx

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...