Hammond Lower School Auditions for 2020

Izzy_Ballet

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of auditioning for the Hammond lower school dance to start in year 8, so I was wondering what type of exercises you do in the ballet and modern classes, what type of solo to prepare, and what they do to test your flexibility? It would also be helpful if you could tell me what kind of ability/grade they expect you to be at so I can see if I am ready for this (it’s a big jump from just dancing for fun a few times a week, but I have been thinking about it for a while). Would you also recommend doing a few extra classes to prepare for the audition? Thanks and sorry this is so long! 

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd auditioned 6 years ago now sober experience is probably out of date especially as there have been retirements and staffchanges since then. 

The ballet class was fairly simple. She was borderline back then & advised to work on her technique but it was her sense of performance that tipped the boundary for her on  being accepted. Her feet were checked but I can’t remember what else. 

Singing is compulsory but the dance is the main thing. They know that many don’t have experience and children have been known to just sing happy birthday. 

My dd’s experience was also a long time ago, so as pictures says, there have been staff changes since then, so things might be different. There was a ballet class which was comfortable for dd - I think she was in RAD inter foundation at that time but I do recall that quite a few of her year group had not taken the inter exam when they started year 7. I remember her telling me that they did pirouettes and were encouraged to give doubles a go even if they had not tried them before. I think that your potential and not your grade is important here.

Dd did a ballet solo, but I do recall a conversation some years later with a teacher who said that the panel rather liked to see another genre as they saw a lot of ballet in the ballet class, and what they were looking for included a love of performance. Dd did prepare a vocal solo (one that she had used in a festival dance) but as pictures said, I have heard that people who did not prepare anything were asked to sing happy birthday. I think that if you can sing a little, it does show your versatility and willingness to embrace everything, even if you really want to focus on dance.

I'm sure there are forum members who have more recent experience than ours, but don’t be afraid to call the school (or ask your parent/guardian to do so for you) if you have questions that are not answered.

Good luck! 

This was the schedule for this year’s auditions. Dd thought the ballet was around grade 4/inter foundation in terms of some of the things they were asked to do but there was plenty of simple things too. She said about half did a ballet solo and half did something else. Everyone had prepared a song for her particular audition. 

8.30 a.m.Arrive at The Hammond. Please report to The Performing Arts Centre

Welcome by the Hammond Principal.

CANDIDATE              

9.00Candidates taken to change and prepare for audition

9.15 – 10.15Audition –  Ballet class. (Parents/Guardians should contact the Hammond prior to audition should they require further explanation or are uncomfortable with this procedure).

10.15 – 10.40Flexibility Assessment

10.40 – 11.00Modern

11.00 – 12.00Dance Solos in any chosen dance style 1 minute maximum (teachers or candidates own choreography).  Please record your music on a USB STICK.

12.00 – 12.30Lunch (School will provide, please let the school know if your child has any special dietary requirements).

12.30 – 1.45              Vocal warm up (in audition group) followed by:

12.30 – 1.45              Vocal Solo – 1 minute long. Sheet music is preferred and should be provided clearly marked.  If sheet music is not available a backing track can be used. However, backing vocals are not suitable. Backing track on a USB STICK.

2.00 – 3.00/30Non Verbal Reasoning Test (NVR) for all years 7 & 8 candidates.  English and Maths papers will be forwarded to current school for completion.

3.30 – 4.00Audition candidates visit boarding house (if appropriate) where they will receive a tour and refreshments.  

And this was the recall schedule. 

9.00amArrive at Hoole Bank House

Welcome by Principal 

9.30 – 10.30Audition – Ballet

10.40 – 11.15Creative Movement

11.15 – 11.30Light Refreshments will be provided

11.30 – 1.00Audition – Musical Theatre Workshop.

• 5 months later...
On 18/01/2020 at 14:24, Calea said:

My DD auditioning on Monday! 

Were there many at audition on Monday? My dd is trying for year 10 but just curious how many places in years 8, 9 and 10 there are compared to how many auditioning. Hope your dd audition went well 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 18:08, Milzmam said:

Were there many at audition on Monday? My dd is trying for year 10 but just curious how many places in years 8, 9 and 10 there are compared to how many auditioning. Hope your dd audition went well 

I think my daughter said there were about 20 in her group - boys and girls!  We are waiting to hear on a y7 place they said they take 20 children in y7 and there were 11 mds awards for this year group but the years above only had a few! Hope this helps and good luck too!

9 hours ago, Calea said:

I think my daughter said there were about 20 in her group - boys and girls!  We are waiting to hear on a y7 place they said they take 20 children in y7 and there were 11 mds awards for this year group but the years above only had a few! Hope this helps and good luck too!

Thanks @Calea that is helpful. We knew year 10 entry would be hard and funding even harder but it is her dream so still giving it a go. Hope you don't wait too long for outcome of your dd audition 

2 hours ago, Flower said:

Does anyone know how long Hammond takes to send out results?

Our results took about 5 days. Were you at audition on Monday?

There is a seperate thread for Hammond 2020 auditions on here aswell

Edited by Milzmam