Ballet related jobs

munchkin16

I know this isn’t strictly doing dance so if it’s in the wrong place sorry please move! I’m having a bit of a career crisis and was hoping the wise people here on this board might be able to help. 

I’m 24 years old, work in marketing and have been at the same company in the same role (although with two promotions) for three years. I’ve come to the conclusion that whilst I’m good at what I do, I really don’t enjoy it. So I need to find somewhere to move to.

Now for the hard part. I love ballet, always have done, but only started dancing at 16. I think part of me would like to try and work in a role that incorporates ballet in some way, but I have no idea what’s out there. I don’t have a ballet body and my technique really will never be good enough to teach so that one is out. I think being confined to a desk all day possibly isn’t for me either. 

I’m good at research and planning. I’ve organised events for 450 people overnight (that one nearly killed me!) but logistics and analysis are my skills. I’m also pretty good at customer service as I have to answer the overflow calls on our reservations lines (it’s cruises I’m marketing) and our reservations director regularly jokes she wants to poach me...

I’ve taught myself so many things for the role: HTML code, Indesign, Photoshop, filming and editing videos, copywriting ect. The one thing I’m really really not good at is maths!

I also know a lot about ballet and dancewear from reading these forums, taking classes around the country and world (once all the way in Taiwan!) and research. Pointe shoes and fitting also fascinate me. I’d be very grateful for any suggestions of where I could look for a new opportunity. My friend joked I should start a new leotard company because I’m obsessed but I only have basic sewing skills and I think stretch fabrics are super complicated to sew.

I think you need to keep focusing on your skills, rather than specific jobs. How might you offer your skills to performing arts organisations?

That might be the way to go about it. Can you afford to do some coaching sessions with a career coach?

Alternatively, keep doing what pays the rent - you're clearly excellent in your job. And keep dancing as a pastime - keep training, and dance whenever & wherever you can. There are an increasing number of amateur ballet companies you could perform with. 

1 hour ago, munchkin16 said:

I know this isn’t strictly doing dance so if it’s in the wrong place sorry please move! I’m having a bit of a career crisis and was hoping the wise people here on this board might be able to help. 

I’m 24 years old, work in marketing and have been at the same company in the same role (although with two promotions) for three years. I’ve come to the conclusion that whilst I’m good at what I do, I really don’t enjoy it. So I need to find somewhere to move to.

Now for the hard part. I love ballet, always have done, but only started dancing at 16. I think part of me would like to try and work in a role that incorporates ballet in some way, but I have no idea what’s out there. I don’t have a ballet body and my technique really will never be good enough to teach so that one is out. I think being confined to a desk all day possibly isn’t for me either. 

I’m good at research and planning. I’ve organised events for 450 people overnight (that one nearly killed me!) but logistics and analysis are my skills. I’m also pretty good at customer service as I have to answer the overflow calls on our reservations lines (it’s cruises I’m marketing) and our reservations director regularly jokes she wants to poach me...

I’ve taught myself so many things for the role: HTML code, Indesign, Photoshop, filming and editing videos, copywriting ect. The one thing I’m really really not good at is maths!

I also know a lot about ballet and dancewear from reading these forums, taking classes around the country and world (once all the way in Taiwan!) and research. Pointe shoes and fitting also fascinate me. I’d be very grateful for any suggestions of where I could look for a new opportunity. My friend joked I should start a new leotard company because I’m obsessed but I only have basic sewing skills and I think stretch fabrics are super complicated to sew.

ENB had a marketing post advertised recently - not sure if it has been appointed to.

21 minutes ago, junedancer said:

ENB had a marketing post advertised recently - not sure if it has been appointed to.

They have extended the deadline for applications so if you are interested take a look.  It is however only a part-time role but may give you the opportunity to do something else at the same time.  ENB are likely to have a number of new opportunities or you could part-time elsewhere.  Good luck in whatever you choose. 

Though coming from someone who has limited paid work experience, I agree that it would probably be a good idea to focus more on your skills than a specific job. Perhaps look at marketing jobs related to dance?

Did you have any post-secondary school education or training? If so, maybe (or maybe not) you would want to use that?

You could look at job vacancies at different organisations related to ballet or dance and see which jobs you could apply for. If practical, perhaps you could study event management and try to find event management jobs related to dance? I'm not sure how feasible this is, but perhaps you could consider dance critic? 

You could also try to find work as a receptionist or an administrative job at a theatre, or at a dance studio? If you want and if practical, perhaps you could improve your sewing skills and see what jobs that utilise sewing are related to dance?

I also thought of stage design, though from research that may require higher education.

You could also look at Dance Magazine or Pointe Magazine or other sources for information about dance related jobs.

I agree you don't necessarily have to change jobs for ballet to be part of your life.

Edited by DancingtoDance

A subscription to ‘The Stage’  magazine gives access to a range of performance and non performance job vacancies in the industry and periphery. That might give you some ideas of what is out there, which might lead to some ideas about what you would like to do. 

• Like 2

I think, though, that you need to be aware that a marketing job in a dance-related area may not actually give you much to do with dance. And that even if t does, these kinds of positions are very competitively sought after - precisely because people with an interest in the arts want to work in the field. There are other ways of getting involved in the arts than simply working alongside companies in, say, a marketing role. Volunteering for community dance work, for example, such as getting involved in a local organisation governance. Lots of performance companies advertise for Board members. Also think about getting experience in the charity sector, which has a LOT more in common with arts organisations than most commercial businesses, not the least usually pretty cash-poor, and a lot of people wanting to work for them in terns of a vocation. You'll find that even roles which require quite a high level of up to post-graduate qualification (eg Education Officer), pay below the average salary. 

• Like 3

I have just seen BRB advertising for a programme they call LEAP on Instagram and you are within the age range and working in marketing you prob have lots to offer them. It calls itself a year long residency but aside from homework is probably actually just the 30 days they need from you.

Find out more here:- 

https://www.brb.org.uk/get-involved/ambassadors

Of the 30 days, only 12 are weekdays so completely manageable while working if you are able to take holiday when you want. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for all of your replies, I looked into a lot of your suggestions and I think you were right, focussing on ballet outside of work is probably where I will enjoy it more.

Turns out I’ve been offered a job within my company, in the operations area starting in just over a month. However, I’ll be moving to Basel in Switzerland! So anyone with any advice on ballet and living in Switzerland I’d love to hear from you. 

• Like 1

As far as I know, Basel still has its own ballet company.

Obviously, living in Switzerland is expensive, but presumably your salary is designed to cover that (and in Basel I guess people may frequently nip over the border to France/Germany to buy things they can get more cheaply there).  What about contacting the Swiss Embassy (or trying their website) for info on living over there?

Oh, a few highway code-related things occur to me: I believe it's breaking the law to cross the road while the red man is showing, and you have to turn the car engine off when you're stopped at traffic lights etc.

Wonderful news - what an exciting opportunity to live and work in another country.  You'll have the opportunity to learn a number of languages and experience a different culture from the inside. 

And yes, Basel has ballet activity: here are a couple of possible leads which look OK:

https://www.you-dance.ch/ballett

you're looking for Ballet Erwachsene (adults) Kürsinfo

https://braswellartscenter.com/adult-dance-classes

(You could also search or studios on Instagram).

14 hours ago, Kate_N said:

You'll have the opportunity to learn a number of languages and experience a different culture from the inside. 

Although you may struggle with the local version of Swiss German (ever heard Roger Federer speak it?  I've only ever made out a few words!)

I'm putting together a few links for you - give me a nudge if I forget to send them to you.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:46, alison said:

As far as I know, Basel still has its own ballet company.

Actually, am I right there, or am I think of Bern Ballett (or whatever they call themselves)?  Mind you, Bern's not that far away, either.