RAD Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies

SugarPlum2000

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody has any experience of the above course, more particularly of that of the long distance study? I am currently trying to weigh up my options for post 18 study and with UCAS looming in the new school year, I am hoping to have my options decided in time for going back in September. I have always wanted to go down the dance teaching route however I am not sure whether it

would be worth doing a basic degree first to keep my options open but then I am not sure how this would then work in regards to student finance etc. Any advice or information that could be given would be greatly appreciated 😊

Preston College Dance offer a full 3 year BA in dance, teaching and choreography with the main focus on ISTD grades and ISTD teaching qualifications. This coming academic year I believe they’re able to offer the RTS RAD qualification too so that might be worth a look at! 😊

12 hours ago, Clarkd3 said:

Preston College Dance offer a full 3 year BA in dance, teaching and choreography with the main focus on ISTD grades and ISTD teaching qualifications. This coming academic year I believe they’re able to offer the RTS RAD qualification too so that might be worth a look at! 😊

Thank you for that information. I will have a look into it however it would involve me moving away from home, something that I am trying to avoid which is why I am considering the CBTS course as it is distance learning.

A girl from my DD’s old studio has just completed her RAD teaching qualification by distance learning. Graduated a couple of weeks ago. Attending the RAD HQ  a couple of times over the duration of the course. She’s now heading off to uni for a full teaching qualification PGCE. So she can combine the two qualifications within a school environment. She had attempted to do her training the other way around ie uni first but changed her mind at the last minute. As she felt she wanted to do RAD first so she could continue her dancing at her regular studio during her training and maintain her fitness and links with her old teachers. Obviously this would not have been possible if she had gone to uni first. She found this transition the easiest, obviously these decisions are very personal. But maybe worth considering 

• Like 2

On 03/08/2019 at 20:46, balletbean said:

A girl from my DD’s old studio has just completed her RAD teaching qualification by distance learning. Graduated a couple of weeks ago. Attending the RAD HQ  a couple of times over the duration of the course. She’s now heading off to uni for a full teaching qualification PGCE. So she can combine the two qualifications within a school environment. She had attempted to do her training the other way around ie uni first but changed her mind at the last minute. As she felt she wanted to do RAD first so she could continue her dancing at her regular studio during her training and maintain her fitness and links with her old teachers. Obviously this would not have been possible if she had gone to uni first. She found this transition the easiest, obviously these decisions are very personal. But maybe worth considering 

Well done to your DD! 

I have spoken to my current dance teacher and she has said that she would be happy to assist me through the process. I was wondering, how does it work in regards to The help that you get from the RAD and the teaching of the course? Particularly in regards to it being long distance? 

• 2 months later...

There is lots of information about CBTS on the RAD website to get you started:

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/certificate-in-ballet-teaching-studies-2/

If you want to speak to someone in person then you should email faculty@rad.org.uk so that your request can be passed on to the Programme Manager.

My advice is to gather as much information as you can about different routes to gaining teacher qualifications,  and really think about your long term aspirations. Maybe the BA Ballet Education programme would suit your requirements https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/ba-hons-ballet-education/ or the BA Dance Education programme https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/ba-hons-in-dance-education/where you can gain a degree through distance learning and, depending on your module choices, be eligible to apply for Registered Teacher Status with the RAD.

2 hours ago, Michelle Groves said:

There is lots of information about CBTS on the RAD website to get you started:

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/certificate-in-ballet-teaching-studies-2/

If you want to speak to someone in person then you should email faculty@rad.org.uk so that your request can be passed on to the Programme Manager.

My advice is to gather as much information as you can about different routes to gaining teacher qualifications,  and really think about your long term aspirations. Maybe the BA Ballet Education programme would suit your requirements https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/ba-hons-ballet-education/ or the BA Dance Education programme https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/ba-hons-in-dance-education/where you can gain a degree through distance learning and, depending on your module choices, be eligible to apply for Registered Teacher Status with the RAD.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your response and that information although unfortunately it is now inessential for me as I have decided to go down the nursing route rather than that of dance teaching! Although I am sure it may be useful for anyone else who is considering teaching 😊