I believe you are right, Xandra.  No-one dances in a Cranko ballet without approval from the Cranko Estate. 

33 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

That's what I have always been told Alison. The Cranko Estate has the first and last word on who they want to cast.

Mr O'Hare may suggest but apparently the decision is theirs.

Please do correct me if what I have always been told is wrong. 

I'm trying to find the Ballet Association report which seemed to suggest something a bit different, but can't find it at the moment.  It may not be on the revised website yet ...

59 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Well, they must have approved the replaced dancers initially.

Itziar Mendizabal already danced her debut as Tatiana in 2015 on 24th January, 2nd and 11th February (also replacing Lauren Cutbertson I think (?)

12 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

Itziar Mendizabal already danced her debut as Tatiana in 2015 on 24th January, 2nd and 11th February (also replacing Lauren Cutbertson I think (?)

Yes she was.

• Like 1

It is in anticipation of Onegin that I decided to write my first post (having been an avid reader of this forum for quite some time). 

Onegin is among my favourite books, so my interest in the ballet is very much grounded in my love of the book. While I have read it many times, I have only seen the ballet once, a few years ago in Paris, so I am very much looking forward to seeing RB perform it in a few weeks' time.

For me, in Onegin it's all about casting and characterisation. Of course, quality of dancing is important, but if I had to choose between between a perfectly danced but not so well cast/characterised performance and the opposite, I would choose the latter every time. (Although that would not be the case for most other ballets.) And the roles of Tatiana and Onegin are, of course, the key. Unless these two characters have the right balance of the right qualities (Tatiana, shy but intense; Onegin, jaded and sarcastic but with a touch of nobility underneath), the story, for me, stops making sense.

For this run, I booked Osipova/Muntagirov, purely because of the reviews of Osipova's performance last time. I was debating between her and Naghdi (I may still try to go and see her as I think she may be really good in this role), and unfortunately Onegin wasn't really a factor as I couldn't see either Muntagirov or Bonelli in this role.

And now Muntagirov has been replaced with Clarke and I am even less keen... To be honest, I don't think he currently has the acting skills to pull it off, although I really hope he will prove me wrong.

While there are a few ballerinas I would like to see in the role, I don't really see any male RB dancers as a good fit for Onegin. But if I had to choose, I would probably pick Ball, purely based on his Rudolf in Mayerling.

Well, maybe next time...

• Like 2

Welcome to the Forum Librarianne!

Some years ago I saw a rather weird bits and bobs programme at The Lowry that consisted of various duets by members of RB & BRB (it was to do with the proposed Royal Opera House North).

The one duet that sticks in my mind was the final duet from Onegin as danced by Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli.  Even taken out of context it was incredibly powerful and emotional and I really would have loved to see this partnership performing.  However the casting does not include this pairing, in fact does not include Laura Morera at all.  I would still go for Bonelli though.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

If no reason is given for a cast change, I don't think it is appropriate (or fair) to make suggestions as to it has been made.  

On a discussion website?  Really?

10 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

On a discussion website?  Really?

I think that BBB is making a proper distinction between discussion which involves our differing 'takes' on performances/comment on facts and speculation.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The one duet that sticks in my mind was the final duet from Onegin as danced by Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli.  Even taken out of context it was incredibly powerful and emotional and I really would have loved to see this partnership performing.  However the casting does not include this pairing, in fact does not include Laura Morera at all.  I would still go for Bonelli though.

Yes indeed, Morera/Bonelli pairing was probably my favourite of those I saw in the last run. Shame Laura not dancing the role this time round, but Naghdi/Bonelli looks an exciting combo in my book

• Like 10

Since I understand that the same post is not allowed to be put up on more than one BCF thread, I would just like to mention that I have written something relating to the Muntagirov situation on the thread about Reece Clarke's promotion (with regret because that should be all about Reece - how well-deserved his promotion is and how much we are looking forward to seeing HIM as Onegin!).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 07/01/2020 at 13:52, HelenLoveAppleJuice said:

Huge disappointment. I booked especially to see Vadim. 

The consolation is that he is not injured and was listed to appear at the Gala in Rome last night:

https://www.gramilano.com/2020/01/les-etoiles-gala-in-rome-2020-features-the-ballet-worlds-starriest-names-with-some-surprises/#comments

Edited by Amelia

36 minutes ago, Amelia said:

The consolation is that he is not injured and was listed to appear at the Gala in Rome last night:

https://www.gramilano.com/2020/01/les-etoiles-gala-in-rome-2020-features-the-ballet-worlds-starriest-names-with-some-surprises/#comments

The gala in Rome is next weekend.  Muntagirov is dancing Prince Florimund tonight,  this Saturday matinee and next Wednesday at the ROH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

The gala in Rome is next weekend.

Thank you, Capybara, for correcting me. I misread the date at the top of the article.

I assuaged my curiosity on why Muntagirov isn't doing Onegin by asking him at the stage door this afternoon. I hope he's not too fed up with people asking as I can't imagine I was the only one!

• Like 1

Yes. But given the Forum rules expressly ban posting of anything learned at the stage door I can't repeat it. My comment was intended to point out that there is another way of finding out in addition to the asking the box office that another member did (though I think their comment is on the Reece Clarke thread rather than this one but I didn't want to derail that thread any further).

Would it be permitted to give this information in a private message?   I would never have the chance to go to the stage door, and cannot get to the Club meeting that Muntagiirov is speaking at.  If he is perfectly willing to give the information, it seems to me that it could be allowed to be shared.

• Like 3

I hope someone does share the reason (perhaps the rules will allow sharing after the talk on the 20th when it will be discussed openly?). I agree and understand that gossip/hearsay shouldn’t be repeated on here because it can be detrimental, incorrect and perhaps even hurtful, but if it’s come from directly from Muntagirov/ROH box office this is different to someone having overheard something they shouldn’t have or told something in confidence as it’s an ‘official’ source of information? 

It seems to be pretty much an open secret at this stage anyway, and forum rules would mean that if someone tried to make something up it would be removed? I don’t wish to partake in idle gossip but as has already been mentioned a lot of people had booked to see Muntagirov especially so to change casting as a late stage it would be appreciated to have some sort of explanation. 

I am disappointed not to see Muntagirov dance but delighted at Clarke’s promotion (well deserved and long overdue) and happy that if it can’t be Muntagirov it will be him as I think he’ll be brilliant in the role. 

• Like 2

Maybe if someone else speaks to the box office, perhaps they could ask them to tell the powers that be to make an official announcement.  It does seem to be a rather strange state of affairs that this hasn't happened when both Muntagirov himself and those representing the public face of the ROH are speaking freely about the matter.  

• Like 2

I asked the box office on Saturday afternoon and this is what they told me .....

Muntagirov started rehearsing Onegin and he realised that he was not ready to dance the role, but he hopes he will dance it at some point in his career. 

That's it. 

It can't be a secret and as anyone can ring the box office and ask them I assume it is ok to post it here. 

• Like 18

Still waiting for the explanation as to why it took them so long to make the cast change announcement (which I still have not received despite having  booked  2 performances. Thank you Forum!). As has been mentioned elsewhere there are pictures on the ROH Flickr page of Clarke rehearsing dated 12 December.  

Thank you, annamk, I was beginning to think that I might be the only person not in on the secret.

What a difficult decision it must have been for Muntagirov to make and I look forward to seeing his Onegin when he feels ready to take on the role. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

Still waiting for the explanation as to why it took them so long to make the cast change announcement (which I still have not received despite having  booked  2 performances. Thank you Forum!). As has been mentioned elsewhere there are pictures on the ROH Flickr page of Clarke rehearsing dated 12 December.  

Maybe Clarke only just started rehearsing when those photos were taken ? 

To be honest I think we are lucky to get the advance casting info we do from the RoH - many companies don't announce casting until a few weeks before the performances - Paris and Stuttgart to name just two. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, JNC said:

I hope someone does share the reason (perhaps the rules will allow sharing after the talk on the 20th when it will be discussed openly?).

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the London Ballet Circle have the same rules about public disclosure as the Ballet Association?

8 minutes ago, alison said:

Perhaps someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the London Ballet Circle have the same rules about public disclosure as the Ballet Association?

They put reports of the talks and interviews on their website, which is public.  

Well, so does the BA, but those are edited versions.  They take out anything the dancer in retrospect wishes they hadn't said, hence the ban on discussing what was said on social media and forums.

The London Ballet Circle's reports are also edited/approved by the guests before being published on the website. But, to be honest, I think that the 'reporters' in both organisations take 'care' over what they write in the first instance. They are not verbatim accounts!

And, yes, the LBC also asks people not to post on social media.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1