Cast changes for Onegin on website today

18 Jan (m), 22 & 29 Feb  Mendizabal replaces Cuthbertson (Tatiana)

18 Jan (e), 7 & 12 Feb: Clarke replaces Muntagirov (Onegin)

21 Jan, 8 & 27 Feb: Bjørneboe Brǽndsrød replaces Clarke (Gremin)

Oh!  Interesting... so still no Tatiana for Lauren :(

16 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Cast changes for Onegin on website today

18 Jan (m), 22 & 29 Feb  Mendizabal replaces Cuthbertson (Tatiana)

18 Jan (e), 7 & 12 Feb: Clarke replaces Muntagirov (Onegin)

21 Jan, 8 & 27 Feb: Bjørneboe Brǽndsrød replaces Clarke (Gremin)

Very disappointed about Muntagirov (perhaps needless to say...). I don't know the ballet well enough to have a general view about casting though. Still looking forward to seeing it (also needless to say!).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Oh!  Interesting... so still no Tatiana for Lauren :(

No!  I booked especially for Lauren and Thiago. 😭

• Like 1

So did I... but on the plus side, I thought Itziar was a terrific replacement for Lauren in the previous run.  It's so rare that she gets to play a romantic lead.

• Like 3

I received the notification but have any reasons been given - I know casting is always subject to change but sometimes there’s an explanation?

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

So did I... but on the plus side, I thought Itziar was a terrific replacement for Lauren in the previous run.  It's so rare that she gets to play a romantic lead.

I’ll still go, of course; it’s just that Cuthbertson is such a wonderful actress.  I loved her partnership with Soares in Mayerling and I’m sure she would be a brilliant Tatiana.  I hope she’s ok and not injured? 

• Like 1

Given Muntagirov & Cutherbertson are still both down for their respective Sleeping Beauty performances this coming week, presumably this isn't due to injury in either case (unless the website just hasn't been updated for those performances yet). So would it be likely that both of them have decided that they aren't suited to the roles? I know opera singers cancel for that reason sometimes but I haven't been watching ballet long enough to know if it's something dancers do too.

11 minutes ago, Anna C said:

No!  I booked especially for Lauren and Thiago. 😭

me too! 😢

• Like 1

As reported elsewhere, Reece Clarke is replacing Vadim Muntagirov as Onegin in the upcoming run....

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Given Muntagirov & Cutherbertson are still both down for their respective Sleeping Beauty performances this coming week, presumably this isn't due to injury in either case (unless the website just hasn't been updated for those performances yet). So would it be likely that both of them have decided that they aren't suited to the roles? I know opera singers cancel for that reason sometimes but I haven't been watching ballet long enough to know if it's something dancers do too.

more likely the Onegin curators made the changes, or else it’s a scheduling conflict.  Let’s hope it’s not injuries.

Edited by FionaE
Apostrophe

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

If no reason is given for a cast change, I don't think it is appropriate (or fair) to make suggestions as to it has been made.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

more likely the Onegin curators made the changes, or else it’s a scheduling conflict.  Let’s hope it’s not injuries.

I expect Cuthbertson is busy with The Cellist so I hope that’s the only reason.

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

more likely the Onegin curators made the changes, or else its a scheduling conflict.  Let’s hope it’s not injuries.

If no reason is given for a cast change, I don't think it is appropriate (or fair) to make suggestions as to it has been made.  

• Like 1

Lauren Cuthbertson was replaced by Laura Morera in the NB gala last Saturday.

3 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

is it a new policy of the ROH not to explain why changes are made?

3 minutes ago, FionaE said:

is it a new policy of the ROH not to explain why changes are made?

I don't think they ever have - beyond "due to injury/sickness"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Is it not human nature to speculate if no reason has been given though? Especially as many people will have booked for performances specifically to see one or other of the dancers. If people have paid anything up to £110 for a ticket (which might not be a lot of money for some people but is for others) then I feel it would have been courteous of the ROH to provide a reason for making 2 major cast changes only 11 days before the start of the run.

• Like 8

And the press release received from the Royal Ballet:

January 2020        

News Announcement 

Casting update from The Royal Ballet 

The Royal Ballet announces cast changes and confirmations for forthcoming productions. 

It has been necessary to make Principal cast changes to Onegin, 

Reece Clarke replaces Vadim Muntagirov as Onegin on Saturday 18 January, Friday 7 February and Wednesday 12 February. Additionally, Itziar Mendizabal replaces Lauren Cuthbertson as Tatiana on Saturday 18 January (matinee), Saturday 22 February and Saturday 29 February. On Tuesday 21st January, Saturday 8th February and Thursday 27th February Reece Clarke is replaced by Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød as Prince Gremin. The rest of the cast remains unchanged. 

Casting for Dances at a Gathering by Jerome Robbins is also confirmed. On Monday 17 February, Tuesday 18 February, Tuesday 25 February and Wednesday 4 March, the cast comprises Marianela Nuñez Francesca Hayward, Yasmine Naghdi,Fumi Kaneko, Laura Morera, Alexander Campbell, William Bracewell, Federico Bonelli, Valentino Zucchetti and Luca Acri. On Friday 28 February and Wednesday 4 March, the cast comprises Sarah Lamb, Mayara Magri, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Anna Rose O’Sullivan, Tierney Heap, Marcelino Sambé, Nicol Edmonds, Reece Clarke, Benjamin Ella and James Hay. 

In other news, Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin O’Hare announces that Reece Clarke has been promoted to First Soloist. Born in Scotland, Reece trained at The Royal Ballet School and graduated into the Company during the 2013/14 Season and was promoted to First Artist in 2016 and Soloist in 2017. Clarke grew up in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire. He trained at the Janis Ridley School of Dance in Scotland before joining The Royal Ballet School. Awards while at the School included the Young British Dancer of the Year in 2012, the Lynn Seymour Award in 2013 and an award from the Ballet Association. Awards since joining the Company have included the Emerging Artist Award at the 2016 Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards. His roles with the Company include Prince Florimund (The Sleeping Beauty), Prince (The Nutcracker), Aminta (Sylvia), Polixenes (The Winter’s Tale), Espada (Don Quixote) Des Grieux (Manon) as well as Principal roles in Concerto, After the Rain and Symphonic Variations.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Is it not human nature to speculate if no reason has been given though? Especially as many people will have booked for performances specifically to see one or other of the dancers. If people have paid anything up to £110 for a ticket (which might not be a lot of money for some people but is for others) then I feel it would have been courteous of the ROH to provide a reason for making 2 major cast changes only 11 days before the start of the run.

It may be human nature but it is not appropriate here.  We have no right to the information unless the dancers or the Royal Ballet are willing to share it; I don't think it is discourteous in the least.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

It may be human nature but it is not appropriate here.  We have no right to the information unless the dancers or the Royal Ballet are willing to share it; I don't think it is discourteous in the least.

Okay, if it's not allowed here then I won't, but I'm afraid I still hold my opinion.

ETA Sorry if this sounds abrupt but I really hate uncertainty (I have Asperger's) so sudden changes without explanation annoy/stress me.

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Okay, if it's not allowed here then I won't, but I'm afraid I still hold my opinion.

I agree with you Dawnstar.  It’s only natural to wonder why the changes have been made.  But I get the point that it’s not our right to be told.  It’s pretty obvious there are only a few possible reasons.

As one of those people who have forked out for top price seats on top of the travel costs, it’s now going to be an expensive trip to NOT see the dancers I carefully chose many months ago.  I cannot change dates due to other commitments, even if there were seats available.  Disappointing.  Sigh.

Poor Cuthbertson, having to miss out on Tatiana again.  But Mendizabal was good last time around, and I'm glad she's had the opportunity to repeat it.  As others have said, she doesn't get many leading roles.  Pity Muntagirov's not doing Onegin, though, since his casting as that has prevented him from being put in as Lensky.

And to answer Dawnstar's question very generally: it seems to me (although I don't go to that much opera!) that it's rather rarer for a dancer to choose not to do a role than for a singer, but then the singers may be getting booked up up to 5 years in advance, which isn't usually the case for dancers!  I do remember cases of cast changes where dancers decided that a role no longer suited them, though.

• Like 2

Debut on opening night, with Osipova, replacing Muntagirov. No pressure Reece!

• Like 3

Puzzled why they didn't replace Lauren Cutbertson by Laura Morera as Tatiana.

The Cranko Estate selected Lauren Cutbertson and Yasmine Naghdi as their new Tatiana's (with only four different casts Laura Morera and Sarah Lamb lost out). Obviously they went for Itziar Mendizabal instead of Laura Morera...

• Like 1

Agree, this would have been a great chance to see Morera in one of her finest roles, probably for the last time.  I was very disappointed that she wasn't cast this time.  She and Bonelli were utterly heartbreaking in this ballet.  Am thrilled that it's Miss Naghdi stepping into her shoes, but sad that we probably won't see her as Tatiana again. 

I saw Itziar last time around and really enjoyed her performance.  I am very glad that she's finally been given a leading role in a story ballet...she's had quite a wait.   

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, Xandra Newman said:

The Cranko Estate selected Lauren Cutbertson and Yasmine Naghdi as their new Tatiana's

If indeed it was the Estate which did the selecting. 

That's what I have always been told Alison. The Cranko Estate has the first and last word on who they want to cast.

Mr O'Hare may suggest but apparently the decision is theirs.

Please do correct me if what I have always been told is wrong. 

• Like 2